Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
13,359 Posts

·
Registered
13,359 Posts
While that certainly sucks, if it's a real Superbird, it's probably worth enough to beat back into shape. The real tragedy is all the people who lost their homes and means of daily transportation, not the ones whose toys got broken.
100% this. But living in Florida is a choice, and choices have consequences. I only feel bad for the children who don’t have a choice because they are still at the mercy of their parents/ guardians, their community and government.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
we made it through without issues ... we lost power for about 3-4 hrs due to local transformer kicking the bucket ... but our side has mainly been spared. West coast and Orlando got a big chunk of it ...

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
100% this. But living in Florida is a choice, and choices have consequences. I only feel bad for the children who don’t have a choice because they are still at the mercy of their parents/ guardians, their community and government.
Yeah, I am pretty firmly on this side of the fence. I feel for everyone, and recognize lives and property were lost. Beyond that, you made the choice to move down there and this is the chance you take.

·
Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,336 Posts
My dad pointed this out to me a while back in regards to some people that rip around their neighborhood in SxSs with kids in them that aren't wearing helmets. It really made me think about how I make decisions for my kids.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
If only someone had said something about a really bad storm coming.

And how the hell did it get out of the garage to float away?
This and insurance. Sucks for the car but I'm sure as they clean up their $4m beach house, the insurance check is fat and they'll be fine. I feel for the old folks in the trailers that are just trying to live peacefully in their old age.

·
Registered
S2000, E320
8,083 Posts
Yeah man, no empathy at all for the people that live there to take care of a family member, or be by their grandchildren, or the doctors that got a residency spot at a FL hospital. Nope, none at all.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Part of living there. My family had a house directly on the beach on 30A (outside of Destin) up until a few years ago. In the 40 years of owning the place, we replaced the house from scratch twice for a total of 3 dwellings. It was a nightmare the last time it happened after Opal and I was old enough to be involved and understand it all. We sold the place in 2014 and even though it was bittersweet, I have really enjoyed not constantly biting my nails wondering when the next big one was going to destroy the house again. I always tell my partners when they are looking to buy down there to rent and then laugh your ass off the whole way home afterwards. I don’t care if it’s 10-15k for the week, that beats the hell out of dealing with this sort of stuff from 3-4 hours away.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Yeah man, no empathy at all for the people that live there to take care of a family member, or be by their grandchildren, or the doctors that got a residency spot at a FL hospital. Nope, none at all.
Empathy was 5 years ago. I am the kind of guy who would give his living room away if it meant a family sleeps with a roof over their head.

But context is when you add leadership that belittles other places and wants to withhold funding and help outside the state, and then expects empathy when a natural disaster wipes them off the map. Again. And yet they still choose to live there.

So...thoughts and prayers, then, and may the odds ever be in your favor. Maybe next time don't be in such a hurry to call other places ****holes.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.