VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haaaaaated this car when it came out.
I looked at it and I thought wow that back 3/4 part is huge. Just acres and acres of sheet metal between the rear wheel and the rear window. Fugly!
Now they're everywhere and they're coming with nice rims and I wouldn't say I like them, but they definitely don't drive me nuts anymore.
Why is this? I've noticed this about some of Bangle's designs too like the Z4 and the 5-series. Do you just get used to everything eventually (even bad design) like if an ugly poster is on your wall you don't notice it after a while.
I can't trust my own judgement anymore.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (hawc)

My girlfriend has this car. It is pretty peppy with the supercharger, I just can't stand its looks. Visibility in it is also quite poor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (pschmerg)

I rarely see them here in the midwest-but I did see them everywhere in LA recently- so much so that it seemed to be the most popular German car on the streets after the BMW 3 series.
To me. it's a very awkward design- gorgeous until you get to the rear.
Time for this model to get a butt-tuck.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (Evil16vGLI)

It's not THAT slow with the V6, but it's intention isn't to be a WRX fighter. Sales are really slow, and it's rumored (in Automotive News) that the car won't be offered here once the front-drive A-class arrives.
hawc, stick with the BMW or the Audi. This has appeal simply because its something different to what you've been considering all along. I know how overanalyzing car decisions work....

Tom

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
Re: (Isis182)

It's not a bad car. Esp with a supercharged 1.8L.
RWD Hatchback. What more would one want ??

I know there is also a 3-series TI, but still....

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (mutcth)

Quote, originally posted by mutcth »
Hhawc, stick with the BMW or the Audi. This has appeal simply because its something different to what you've been considering all along. I know how overanalyzing car decisions work....

Tom

You know me too well.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts

I liked the looks when it came out...didn't like the small motor and expensive (even by VR6 standards) cost of tuning it. Maybe someone will figure out how to swap an srt-4 motor in there.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (brickfrenzy)

Brake light switch,corrosion at ESP control unit plug, constant Panorama roof complaints, light bulbs blow like crazy, front signal lamp sockets burn up, tail lamp bulb holders burn up,hatch rattles,sway bar links & bushings, control arm bushings, cup holders that resemble REVELL model kits before they're glued together,chronic Smart Key problems, supercharged engine that sounds like a John Deere lawn tractor........ I have to stop now. My fingers hurt....

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (VWGUY4EVER)

too funny. hey my friend has a 2002 SLK. what are common problems with those? her check engine light is on all the time.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts

Unless these take on cult status, they could be a cool project car in a few years

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

I like the looks of this car, but for the money that they want for it, I see myself in a 3 Series first.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts

i also like this car and thinking about leasing it. but honestly the main reason to buy this car because it is a BENZ. like "i finally own a benz" experience. not mainly for it performance or luxury. For me, this is the closest thing for the Corrado's successor. (since VW decide not to make it
)
I know the handling should be no match for BMW 3, but how good/bad is it? compare to STOCK GTI 1.8T & mini cooper s (without sport package)?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (Avus)

Quote, originally posted by Avus »
i also like this car and thinking about leasing it. but honestly the main reason to buy this car because it is a BENZ. like "i finally own a benz" experience. not mainly for it performance or luxury. For me, this is the closest thing for the Corrado's successor. (since VW decide not to make it
)
I know the handling should be no match for BMW 3, but how good/bad is it? compare to STOCK GTI 1.8T & mini cooper s (without sport package)?

Hah! If VW made a Corrado it wouldn't compete. We are in the midst of a sports car revival. There's no room for a FWD wannabe like the Corrado or Prelude.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Re: Darn, the Mercedes C-Coupe is growing on me! (winkosmosis)

Quote, originally posted by winkosmosis »

Hah! If VW made a Corrado it wouldn't compete. We are in the midst of a sports car revival. There's no room for a FWD wannabe like the Corrado or Prelude.

Unless they brought back the Corrado with all wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts