VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I originally had a build thread on Audiworld but I kinda lacked keeping up with it since its not really super active. Forgive me but I’ll try and cover the start of the build up until now in one post. My car is a 1999 B5 A4 prefacelift so its a dbc aeb car. The car was a stage 3 k04 up until I pulled the motor in October. I decided to build a Stroker because I lack proper decision making skills and don’t like having my money in my pocket apparently (Kidding).
Here’s the parts run down I have a decent amount of the parts so far:
Custom 83mm 9:1:1 Cp pistons with oil squirter notches and coated skirts
Spa Twin Scroll Manifold
Walbro 450
Custom PNP Megasquirt ecu
IE Tuscan Rods
IE Billet steel main caps
IE Adjustable cam gear with friction disk and arp bolt
Bartek tuning billet fuel rail
BBM fuel pressure regular adapter(this thing is beautiful I really recommend it based off feel and looks lol)
OBD1 ABA Crank
awm camshaft timing adjuster
IABED Billet Rear Main Seal and Coolant pipe
Vr6 Throttle body
44mm wastgate
Electric fan Conversion
Metal Slave Cylinder
JRE Crankcase breather plate
034 big bore head gasket
Coated main bearings
Coated rod bearings
Intermediate shaft bearings
Crank Dowel Pin kit
ARP crank bolt (207-2501) This is for a Toyota but I can confirm it fits and is the same length may be 1mm shorter ENDED UP SWAPPING THIS OUT WITH THE FORD DURATEC ARP CRANK BOLT)
ARP Main studs (204-5402)
ARP Cam Cap Bolts (670-1005) haven’t confirmed whether or not they fit yet.
Various OEM gaskets and hardware as well as other less interesting parts
AN fuel hoses
Various hoses and adapters
06a updated none hydraulic timing tensioner (going to take measurements since the offsets of all the pulleys on 058 blocks are different than 06a)
Ringer Racing Stage 4 Clutch and Flywheel
SEP 1400CC Injectors
S200SXE
Cat Cams 3568
B7 02x TDI fwd trans
Facelift uprights or b7 a4 uprights.

That’s all I’ll list for now since a lot of the other stuff is boring but feel free to ask! The 058 block is neglected in certain ways so it can be hard to find things like arp hardware etc that’s why I listed the part numbers.
Here’s a photo dump from the past few months:

Towing the car to storage in early November

10x20 storage unit is where my car has lived for the past few months

pulling the motor

Not much happened since I pulled the motor in mid November
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago I drove to penn to pickup an obd1 aba motor for its crank. It was the weekend of the 29th which was when the huge winter storm hit the northeast so that was fun. My buddy came along for the adventure so it honestly wasn’t that bad.

Tearing down the aba motor

The aba crank is in pretty decent shape

Aeb head thus far

IE main caps

yesterday I test fit the main studs and caps all checked out.

There are tons more pictures but I'll try not to bore anyone. The block is going to the machine shop once my pistons come in, should be another month or so. I’m hoping to have the rest of the parts I need to be ordered by may. It’s been a really fun project so far I looked forward to what’s next. Well, anyways I’ll try to keep this thread updated as I make more progress thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you thought AudiWorld is slow, this place is even slower. If you want more action, head over to Audizine.

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you thought AudiWorld is slow, this place is even slower. If you want more action, head over to Audizine.
Yeah I’m on audizine as well. Just haven’t posted a build thread there yet. It’s unfortunate that the b5 section isn’t as populated here since alot of the other places on vwvortex are super populated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
This place kinda slow too. LOL

Head over to the Audi-Sport . net

They are pretty active, I'm 99% sure that the whole forum is British, not sure on that though lol. I used to hang around the Audi A3/S3 section. B5 A4/S4 was pretty active when I was around last year.

Good stuff on the build though!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
This place kinda slow too. LOL

Head over to the Audi-Sport . net

They are pretty active, I'm 99% sure that the whole forum is British, not sure on that though lol. I used to hang around the Audi A3/S3 section. B5 A4/S4 was pretty active when I was around last year.

Good stuff on the build though!
I think I have an account I’ll have to check it out. I don’t mind the slowness though just hoping to give ideas to others. As well as add to all 1.8t info out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna go back in time to show what I have done with the car last summer and prior
RNS-E Retrofit and b7 center console.
In order to install a rnse into a pre-facelift b5 a can-bus emulator is required. The one I used can be found here Here on AliExpress. The wiring diagram listed on the page is incorrect. I have modified the page's wiring diagram and it looks like this.

Sorry for the roughness I took five minutes to do it in MSPaint. Things to note if you are having trouble getting the rns-e to turn on or remember the radio code ensure that you verify the adequate voltage. Voltage must be >=12V also verify that the acc wire you choose switches on and off with power. Anything below 11.3 ish volts for constant power and the rns-e will likely forget the code. For acc you should get around 12-13volts. The orange wire isn't required but it turns on button backlighting and darker nav screen. In my case I just tapped into the cigarette lighter light. Which turns on with the headlight switch. In terms of mounting the rns-e it wont fix in a single din cage unless you do some cutting and moving the ac. The best thing to do is use the facelift radio cage and center console. that would allow you to maintain the factory buttons. You can also get a cage from a double din b6/b7 car and cut off the ac controls part of the cage in order to clear the hvac ducts that run along the transmission tunnel. You'll have to do some fabbing if you choose this route like I did. The b7 center console is longer than the b5 console towards the front. Trimming the furthest front pieces fixes that issue. The b5 ebrake handle doesn't fit quite right with the ebrake trim So you have to do some cutting. I haven't yet figured out how to convert the hazard switch from the b5 to a b7 (this is like 9 months later and I still haven't lol)

If your car doesn't have an amp like mine you'll need to get an amp if you want to run rear speakers. I recommenced aftermarket much better price to performance. If you go aftermarket you'll need speaker wire to RCA pigtails to use for inputs into the amp. For GPS functionality you'll need a GPS antenna. I recommend getting this kit it includes radio keys antenna and even the quad lock with connectors. You will need to be cut up if you are a b5 a4 but a b6 will plug right into this harness. You'll also need a navigation cd which is fed into the disc drive behind the screen. A software update disc is optional but adds some more modern features to this dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The various things that I did summer of 2021

Painted My bumper using PaintScratch paint which matches extremely well. I'm pretty happy with the results. The final product is not perfect but I tried my best. It's not the paint's fault it was due to the applicator's lack of skill (I was the applicator).

The Paint I used for the hood is from automotivetouchup I also highly recommend this company as well. The delivery takes quite a while but it's because they actually mix the paint when you order it which is pretty cool. This also didn't turn out perfect but it looks better than it was before. I don't intend for either of these paint jobs to be permanent. I would really like to get the whole car resprayed at some point. If I did I would keep the same factory Color. I don't know what it is but I love silver cars. I think most people see Silver as a default boring car color but I really enjoy it. I have had 6 cars since I was 16 and every single one of them was silver. It wasn't intentional at first but at this point, I think it is.

I installed a used stage 2 Snow Performance methanol kit. Here's A shot of the tank pump and solenoid.

Here's a picture of the gauge/controller. I 3D printed a b5 center vent gauge pod and I think it looks really good. Ideally, I want to reprint the gauge pod and polish the print so it would maybe match better.

I snagged an ECS boost gauge from their scratch and dent for super cheap. The gauge was never even used by the looks of it. I like the look of this gauge a lot better than my old Bosch one.

Pic of the nozzle in the intercooler piping. I drilled and tapped a hole for the nozzle. This turned out to be a bad idea since there weren't very many threads for the nozzle to grab so while I was on the highway it actually blew out and dented my hood. I don't have a picture but for now, I just used jb weld steel putty to hold in a bung for the nozzle. Ideally, I need to weld the bung in but I only have a flux core welder as of now.

I sanded and repainted the coolant hose since it had a lot of surface rust and looked like poop. I used por-15 paint which is a pretty indestructible paint I've heard. I originally saw the paint on a project farm video and figured I wanted to try it for myself. The paint is really runny since it has an almost watery consistency and needs to be wiped/dabbed on with a foam brush. It has a really glossy finish and the runs shown in the picture aren't as noticeable in person.

I picked up a maxspeedingrods / ebay type k04 at the beginning of the summer. I got it for super cheap so I don't really mind if it blows up. To help it not blow up I did get a "performance" rebuild kit from Gpopshot

Comparison of Ko3 and Ko4. This K03 is likely the same one the car left Germany with has 212k miles of use with genuinely minimal shaft play. The turbine wheel wasn't reinstalled yet at the time I took this picture.

Disassembly of K04

K04 Housing

Performance vs Regular retaining ring

Performance vs Standard journal bearing

Piston ring

Flinger sleeve I can't remember which was which

Performance vs Standard Thrust bearing

I can't remember if I took this pic of the core while I was disassembling or assembling.

Since this is old stuff I did end up swapping out the k04 for a K04 XLB made a little bit more power but not much. Sorry for these posts being out of order the next update will be current

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically at the home stretch in terms of collecting all my parts. I decided to swap my eagle rods for IE Tuscan rods, clutch, fluidampr and a bunch of other stuff is on the way or I already have. Here's a teaser.
Light Automotive tire Lighting Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I purchased a euro TDI 01X from Transmissions & Axels in New York. Chris is a great guy I’d 100% purchase stuff from him again. I have a prefacelift b5 so I picked up a set of b7 uprights for cheap(from instagram). Chris from korwerks has some friends in manufacturing/fab so I’m hoping we can work together to get a few cross members made. I’ve recently started tweaking my megasquirt base map and doing some tweaking to my harness. I mocked up a circuit to convert the VR signal from a wheel speed sensor to a hall sensor signal input in the board. You need a VR to hall sensor converter in order for this to work correctly. I believe if I use two wheel speed sensors with megasquirt I can use traction control which may be cool to mess with. I can provide a diagram once I work out the kinks and test it in car. My block and head are at the machine shop so hoping to have the car back together with the b7 01x by august hopefully! Finally feel like I’m starting to make some progress can’t wait to start putting the motor back together. Other updates I went with the stage 4 ringer racing clutch. I went with the cat cam 3658 cams. titanium valve springs and retainers. Super tech intake exhaust valves + keepers. Updated none hydraulic tensioner which I am going to retrofit along with a gates racing timing belt. There’s dozens of other less interesting things that have arrived over the past few months. I’ll have to post a picture of the piles of boxes it’s sickening.

Towing car back home from winter storage.

Cars back in its spot although wished I placed it a little further to the right of the driveway but can’t change that now.

Here’s two videos of the trans being loaded and what came in the kit.
Korworks loading euro 01X TDI trans kit.

Korworks 01x tdi kit

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a euro TDI 01X from Transmissions & Axels in New York. Chris is a great guy I’d 100% purchase stuff from him again. I have a prefacelift b5 so I picked up a set of b7 uprights for cheap(from instagram). Chris from korwerks has some friends in manufacturing/fab so I’m hoping we can work together to get a few cross members made. I’ve recently started tweaking my megasquirt base map and doing some tweaking to my harness. I mocked up a circuit to convert the VR signal from a wheel speed sensor to a hall sensor signal input in the board. You need a VR to hall sensor converter in order for this to work correctly. I believe if I use two wheel speed sensors with megasquirt I can use traction control which may be cool to mess with. I can provide a diagram once I work out the kinks and test it in car. My block and head are at the machine shop so hoping to have the car back together with the b7 01x by august hopefully! Finally feel like I’m starting to make some progress can’t wait to start putting the motor back together. Other updates I went with the stage 4 ringer racing clutch. I went with the cat cam 3658 cams. titanium valve springs and retainers. Super tech intake exhaust valves + keepers. Updated none hydraulic tensioner which I am going to retrofit along with a gates racing timing belt. There’s dozens of other less interesting things that have arrived over the past few months. I’ll have to post a picture of the piles of boxes it’s sickening.

Towing car back home from winter storage.

Cars back in its spot although wished I placed it a little further to the right of the driveway but can’t change that now.

Here’s two videos of the trans being loaded and what came in the kit.
Korworks loading euro 01X TDI trans kit.

Korworks 01x tdi kit
This thing is looking sweet man, love the photos too, they really are crisp.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Almost done with the trans crossmember for the 02x trans. It doesn’t look great but I’m also not a fabricator, it should get the job done.

I’m also making side brackets that bolt up to the factory 012 subframe mounts to eliminate yaw movement since the 02x uses 1 center mount. As for the motor still waiting to get the block and head back from the machine shop. Also ordered 17z calipers v70r rotors and yellow stuff pads. At this point I’m pretty confident I have all the big ticket parts in my possession.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Subscribing!

Funny that you picked up that ABA during the winter storm. I went and picked up a parts car that day. It was about 1.5 hours away from home and I left super-early, but go-figure in the last 15 minutes of my trip home the storm hit hard and I had to drop the car/trailer at a friends shop for safety purposes...

All those little variations between turbos is pretty interesting. Nice work in getting that documented!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Subscribing!

Funny that you picked up that ABA during the winter storm. I went and picked up a parts car that day. It was about 1.5 hours away from home and I left super-early, but go-figure in the last 15 minutes of my trip home the storm hit hard and I had to drop the car/trailer at a friends shop for safety purposes...

All those little variations between turbos is pretty interesting. Nice work in getting that documented!
That storm was no joke I left upstate New York at like 4:30 or 5:30 am With the drive taking around 4.5ish hours. Highways had at least 7-10 inches of snow with little to no visibility. I contemplated turning back but my buddy convinced me to keep going. Easily the worst weather I’ve driven in. Our luck that we had plans to pick up stuff that day. Thanks for subbing hoping to have exciting updates soon.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
B7 Aluminum Uprights
17Z Brake Calipers in this case from a Cayanne.
Stoptech Volvo V70r Drilled and Slotted Rotors: 127.39035R + 127.39035L
EBC Brakes Yellow Stuff Pads
For me personally, this is pretty sweet. I remember seeing people when I was younger putting 17z brakes on B5s etc I thought it was awesome now I have them!

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Grass Auto part Circle

First Coat of silver for base
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Light

Chandler Purple Top Coat
Purple Automotive tire Circle Font Automotive wheel system

I don't have a permanent powder coating setup so boy did I make a mess but it was worth it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts