VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted a switch just below the Climatronic system on the under side of the bottom brushed aluminum panel, right above the ashtray. The switch toggle is only about a quarter inch long and is hardly visible from the front seats, but within easy reach of the driver. I traced the gray wire with the blue stripe from the vacuum switch near the left rear wheel back to the main wire harness behind the relay panel. The wire is located in is the main branch that runs vertically down behind the plastic trim above the dead pedal. I had to untape about four inches of the harness. The gray wire with the blue stripe was between the main harness bundle and the car body. Luckily the wire was near the outside of the wire harness, so I didn't have to go in digging. I just cut the wire and added my switch.
Now I can go from stock to "R32 Exhaust Mod" literally at the flick of a switch. No check engine light.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (sveda)

Good job. I can just see dozens of people running out to hack it in now.
Disabling the pump like that won't set the CEL, but it'll probably set a
code saying that the ECU can't communicate with the exhaust valve vacuum pump
but it's not a big deal.
ian

·
Registered
12,271 Posts

I need pictures... I'm such a visual learner.

·
Registered
692 Posts

"to "R32 Exhaust Mod"
-> I assume this means full-noise mode; flap open?
If anyone comes up with a reverse flapper mod (no-noise mode; flap closed), please post.
Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (noka648)

I've heard that this works. Turn your car on and let it run for a moment. With the car still on clamp the vacuum line. This should trap a vacuum in the line and keep the car quiet. I haven't tried this so I don't know if it works, but it's woth a try.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (Ted Bell)

Thanks, but looking for a more elegant solution.

Rgds,
Norm

Modified by noka648 at 10:55 PM 5-27-2004

·
Registered
512 Posts

Nice piece of sluething a solution. I had thought about a solenoid valve similar to the one at this site (http://www.noshok.com/indexmain2.html?solenoid_valves/90/model90/90size_frame.html&4) but then you're looking at wiring outside the car and long (well not that long) wire runs. Much simpler the way you've described it! This sounds like the solution I've been looking for. (I hate when ricers pull up alongside and blip their throttle and I can't blip back louder!)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (LYKUNO)

Does that vac pump do/control anything else or is its sole purpose to actuate the flapper in the muffler?!?
-jfost

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (jfost)

I have done this too.. Only i ran wires inside the car to the rear and will most likly add my own vaccum switch

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (Daemon42)

I did NOT disable the pump. The switch I added only controls the vacuum solenoid. If you cut the gray wire with the blue stipe and connect only the end going to the solenoid and the other side of the switch to a switched hot lead, you would simply end up with an "Open" and "Closed" setting for the solenoid/exhaust flap. The other end of the Gray/Blue wire that goes to the controler would be completely disconected. After driving for two days with the switch, I may do just that myself. It seems to make more sense to just have open or closed rather than having the computer crack open the valve just as you short shift around town, which happens to me all the time.
I have pictures if anyone can post them.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sveda »
I did NOT disable the pump. The switch I added only controls the vacuum solenoid. If you cut the gray wire with the blue stipe and connect only the end going to the solenoid and the other side of the switch to a switched hot lead, you would simply end up with an "Open" and "Closed" setting for the solenoid/exhaust flap. The other end of the Gray/Blue wire that goes to the controler would be completely disconected. After driving for two days with the switch, I may do just that myself. It seems to make more sense to just have open or closed rather than having the computer crack open the valve just as you short shift around town, which happens to me all the time.

You could use a 3 way switch. The 3 positions would be open circuit (valve disabled), closed
circuit (normal operation), and [edit] ground which should keep the valve closed.
Quote »

I have pictures if anyone can post them.

I can host them. PM me.
ian

Modified by Daemon42 at 9:50 PM 6-13-2004

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Thanks for tracing this out for us. But you gotta post some pics!
Ian you snagged my idea 3position switch .... Open, Closed, neutral curcuit. That should satisfy all situations.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

Personally I think folks can *probably* figure this one out without pics.. but here are sveda's pics anyway.

ian

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (r3nt4c0p)

What you could do is mount one of these where the factory valve is and install a switch up front and some power and it sould work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (r3nt4c0p)

The gray/blue wire runs down and back directly to the solenoid; and up to whatever ECU opens and closes the solenoid in the car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Dash Mounted Exhaust Valve Switch (vr6gtispeed)

Yes you could use another solenoid to open and close the vaccum line, but the point is the factory already has a solenoid valve doing that AND the factory has already run a wire from the dash to the back of the car. It is easier/faster/cheaper to simple add the switch to a single wire that is already in the dash near to where you want the switch anyway.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

A number of people have asked me about the wiring of the 3-way switch.
This is how I'd see it wired.

[updated]
And if you want to add the resistor to keep the ECU from throwing a code,
do it this way.

ian

Modified by Daemon42 at 12:55 AM 7-15-2004

1 - 20 of 180 Posts