VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was sitting idleing for about 2-3minutes, and all of a sudden smoke starts pouring ot of my dash from between the steering column and the bottom of the instrument cluster, and some smoke from around the top of the dash too. It was absolutly 100% something electrical because there is no mistaking the smell of electrical smoke. So we checked everthing we could and couldnt figure it out, and everything still seemed to work, and all my lights and stereo etc. work. I asked my friend who has had about 20 a2's and he says it has happened to him before and it has something to do with all the wires in the steering column and something horn related not being clean. I dont even know what Im trying to say. But thank you in advance for all your help.

· Registered
495 Posts
Re: Dash smoking normal? (fopeano)

yeah... smoking dashes are totally normal. mine's actually on fire nearly all the time. just kidding. check your fuses and make sure they're the proper rating. you are probably getting the requisite vw electrical problems, so get ready for "fun with wires." mmmmmm...... electrical engineering.

· Registered
1,819 Posts
Re: Dash smoking normal? (DClark)

I've heard this happens to corrados from time to time. My old roomate Peggy's dash was smoking when her car was overheating... apparently a wire needed to be replaced somewhere else which was causing something there to short out....
I'd get it checked out if you don't know what it is.... goodluck mang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.