VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger daughter turns 16 later this year and I've been casually looking around for a first car for her.

The plans are for a used car, midsize or better, something I can work on (I've rebuilt a few cars & engines over the years so I'm capable), and maybe something a little fun for her.

I think I found a winner this morning!!!

Introducing a 1989 Pontiac Safari wagon with the wood grain vinyl!

Yeah, there's some rot in the fenders but I can get a replacement set of fenders for $250....just would have to find replacement vinyl and trim!!!! That stuff is made of unobtanium!

I showed the pictures to my S.O. and she got a decent chuckle.
The daughter laughed and then said....sure!!

It has the gutless wonder 140 HP (when new) 307 V8 under the hood (edited to update the displacement), hampered by all sorts of 70's and 80's smog equipment.
But that may prove to be in my favor for her when she's first driving it. It'll help keep her speed down to a nice Sunday cruise.

Then when she's done with this and ready to move on to her next car, I'll slap an LS under that hood, upgrade the transmission, upgrade the wheels and tires to something more tasteful, and have myself a super sleeper grocery getter!

My S.O. and I can sit close on that front bench seat on a quiet evening drive with a couple of classic surfboards strapped to that vintage chrome roof rack.

Where can I go wrong?!?!!?!!? ;)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,861 Posts
No way would I give that to a high school kid to drive. When my kids are old enough I'll be looking for the safest vehicle I can find in whatever my budget happens to be.

I do need to add that I have a huge soft spot for these and an LS swap is a grin inducing thought. I think you should snag it for yourself and get started.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I'd want my daughter to drive something that at least has airbags. With teenagers it's usually not a matter of if, but when they get in an accident. On top of that, do you really want something that a ton of kids can cram into?

But for yourself? Sounds like a fun nostalgia ride.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Not a chance in hell.

Big, fat, heavy, lethargic, 0 crash engineering, no airbag, abs?, traction control?, also rusting.

No. Just no.

If you're looking for a Radwood entry, then sure.

·
Registered
44,621 Posts
Looking to be grandfather any time soon?
That was my first thought.

Well, maybe second right after the whole "passenger compartment as crush space" bit. Old cars like that fold up during severe crashes in the weak area where the doors fit. You know, right where you're sitting.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Interesting choice. No airbags, no crush zone, no driver assist...I guess it is one way to hone those situational awareness life skills.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
My parents bought a Parisienne wagon (no wood grain) in 1984. They still had it when I turned 16 in 1991. I got my first lesson in understeer when I tried to make the hard right turn onto our street at about 25mph. It's a miracle I didn't hit the curb and roll the tire off the bead.

My oldest daughter just turned 14. No way in hell will something like this be on the shopping list in 2 years.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Interesting choice. No airbags, no crush zone, no driver assist...I guess it is one way to hone those situational awareness life skills.
No driver assist you say? The power steering is so overboosted in these things you can drive it with your pinky finger.

Honestly, all the lack of modern safety features aside, the biggest downside to this is that it's f'in huge (they are longer than the contemporary Suburbans). I hope the OP is ready for her insurance to get dropped in the first 6 months after she backs into 2 dozen different cars.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have to look at it as strategy...if she hates it, she'll never drive it and my risk reduces!!!

Honestly though, this was all tongue-in-cheek. I guess my sarcasm light didn't go off.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,153 Posts
You have to look at it as strategy...if she hates it, she'll never drive it and my risk reduces!!!

Honestly though, this was all tongue-in-cheek. I guess my sarcasm light didn't go off.
You recorded the sarcasm with Dolby noise reduction on, but pushed the levels up too high so it ended up getting all distorted.

·
Premium Member
18,542 Posts
I see nothing wrong with this.

Also, I am the poster parent for bad automotive decisions for your kids, so there is that. LOL MR2s.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That's good, because this is a terrible idea, for all the reasons listed above (no airbags, teenage motherhood, etc.)

1 - 20 of 184 Posts