VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
It's hard to tell for some of us. If you were in highschool in the 1980s, you knew a guy who had a car exactly like that. It was a mother's or a grandfather's. Rather than go to the bother of selling it, the keys were given to the only kind of person who would be happy about having it -- a lad who would take anything to be out of the house.

Of course, he didn't want a GM wagon, so he treated it worse than a rental. This contributed to a sense that red lights were optional, railroad crossings were a free rollercoaster ride, and running into your friends was good clean fun more than a serious misdemeanor.
Fast forward some years (06-09) and I had that guy but with a 90's red dodge minivan affectionately referred to as the red rocket. He would incessantly try to race everything because you couldn't make that van go fast no matter what you did.

·
Premium Member
18,545 Posts
I think the moral of the story is: get your kid a manual Honda Fit. :D
Actually.....

When KBJr and I test drove it, we kept looking at each other like "f**k, this is fun." So not only is it a good new driver car, it's a good old driver car, too. We call it the yeetmobile. It is utterly hilarious to drive.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
9,077 Posts
Fast forward some years (06-09) and I had that guy but with a 90's red dodge minivan affectionately referred to as the red rocket. He would incessantly try to race everything because you couldn't make that van go fast no matter what you did.
It's possible our parents knew something. We deserved the kinds of vehicle to which we had access. In a squareback, I came off a severe railroad crossing and landed hard enough to break the frame, or unibody or whatever keeps it from sagging in the middle. One of my friends had a 442 Cutlass that could push my big Plymouth wagon from a dead stop out into the traffic in an intersection, but he had a broken front shock absorber, so if we hit bumpy pavement he couldn't keep up.

It isn't that we wanted to take the train to and from school; we were just blind to risk and loss.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,491 Posts
i can see your daughter getting made fun in school right now for driving a wagon thats a boat.
I think it would be the opposite.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Lol why would you do this to her. And to us. A teenager driving a half ton tank while on her phone is scary business.

On the other hand it will be the perfect repellent from the boys. I may not have kids but I do think like one 🧐

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,612 Posts
The concept is awesome but I want my kid to have modern safety systems and bluetooth. If she wants a wagon go for an Outback, Volvo, VW Sportwagen, etc.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'd want my daughter to drive something that at least has airbags.
Yep. My son gets his learners permit next month, told me the other day he wants a V8 Fox Body Mustang.... lets see here, airbags? nope (at least not before 1990), traction control? nope, ABS? nope.

Getting one for my 15 year old, nope.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Yep. My son gets his learners permit next month, told me the other day he wants a V8 Fox Body Mustang.... lets see here, airbags? nope (at least not before 1990), traction control? nope, ABS? nope.

Oof, big no there despite the cool factor for all the same reasons but also add ability to speed. We did enough stupid isht in my friend's new edge v6 mustang. Torque and lightness of a 5.0? Nope.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,695 Posts

A 1992 LX 5.0 was my first car, although I did drive my dad's car for a couple years before that. I'm sure my parents were worried about it, but I never actually crashed it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Loan him the money. Let him buy something he actually likes and is passionate about. 5.0s are easy to find parts for, and easy to work on. He would learn how to change oil, do tuneups on basic v8s, all sorts of things. My first car was a 68 Charger and I learned how to do so many things on that car.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,155 Posts
Loan him the money. Let him buy something he actually likes and is passionate about.
Nah, mistakes are made with first cars/new drivers. It's best to get the learning phase out of the way in some sort of relatively safe, slow economy car. Then he can get a job and by the time he can buy his own passion project, he should have enough experience/brain development that it isn't nearly as much of a potential disaster. Mixing the two together can too easily lead to distractions, and there's no need to rush that stuff.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
9,077 Posts

Loan him the money. Let him buy something he actually likes and is passionate about.
Between 15 and 20, a boy probably makes more bad choices per day that at any other stage of his life. I'd have all kinds of reservations about him making those choices in something fast.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A 5.0 mustang isn't fast tho. It was fast AT THE TIME, but it's still a pretty slow car by today's standards. 15 second 1/4 miles, just looked it up. I personally don't see a huge difference between a 15 second car and a 17 second car... >shrug<

Let me explain it to you this way: I borrowed money and spent every dollar I had to buy my Charger when I was 16. It kept me busy fixing things, and I learned a lot. I also didn't drive it super hard, because I spent everything I had on it. Later when I was 17, I bought a used neon to use in the winter. It had 130hp, and I drove the PISS out of that car, at the limit, all the god damn time. I didn't care about it and drove it harder because of that. E brakes slides, street races, etc. Charger was a cruiser and fast but I didn't want to hurt it since I loved the thing.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
You must not have visited in a while. Most folks around here are cantankerous middle age men driving crossovers these days.
Hey, my 230k mile Escalade is a full BOF SUV, not a crossover.

OP, for a few years I spent most of my garage time buying Subarus with blown head gaskets or broken timing chains, rebuilding them and selling them. I found that almost every one I sold ended up with a 16 year old, and for good reason. Once the key problem areas are addressed, they are pretty solid cars (get one old enough to not have a CVT!), reasonably safe, reasonable fuel economy for being AWD, not fast enough to cause much trouble, and easy to drive. As a benefit, they are actually really easy to work on if you can hold a wrench. Certain things are annoying (spark plugs) but mostly they are much easier to deal with than a typical longitudinal FWD car if you have any serious work to do, or even basic stuff like an alternator or belts.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Too much "space" in the back. Boys will try to take advantage of it. Remember good old days? A whole generation was made in those cars :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
A 5.0 mustang isn't fast tho. It was fast AT THE TIME, but it's still a pretty slow car by today's standards. 15 second 1/4 miles, just looked it up. I personally don't see a huge difference between a 15 second car and a 17 second car... >shrug<
It's the psychological effect of the car. You think its fast, it sounds fast, its a mustang, you're gonna drive and treat it that way. Additionally, while it isn't fast by today's standards those things will happily do burnouts.

41 - 60 of 184 Posts