1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my DRLs to DRFs
. Here's how to do it.
This is what you'll need:

1. Take the panel and the plate underneath the steering off to get to the relays. Identify the DRL and fog relays.

2. There are two nuts holding the relay panel in place. Take those two nuts off.
3. Take the DRL relay off. Unlock the two tabs that hold the connector of the relay in place and release the connector from the panel.

4. Cut the wire going to pin 5 of the relay at a comfortable distance from the connector.

The wire should be yellow/green and should be the middle most wire on the connector. Pin 5 on the relay.
5. Attach the male pin of the connector to the connector side of the wire and the female connector to the harness side of the wire.

6. Now take out the fog relay and take the connector out of the panel the same way as drl relay connector. Find the gray/yellow wire on this connector. This should be pin 30 on the relay and pin 2 on the connector.

7. Splice into this wire with a 14 guage or better wire.

8. Attach a female connector at the other end of new wire and connect that to female connector you attached to the wires of the DRL relay.

And you are done.
In the end you'll have 1 male end of the connector and 2 female. If you connect the male end to the spliced wire, you'll have DRFs. If you connect male end to the female end on the DRL relay harness (i.e. connecting the wire back together that you cut in step 4), then you'll have DRLs.
All in all it took 2 hours to do with taking pictures and stuff.

Edit: Fixing long broken links.

Modified by SSheikh at 10:21 PM 2-19-2007

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (SSheikh)

You are the Electrical VW god! Are you still doing the LED instal on Euroswitches for the rear fog? I was wondering if you would do one for me. How much if so? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (pacificblue)

hey, this is a lil off topic, but you seem to know alot about this stuff....do you happen to know which fuse is for the reverse lights? thanx

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (vw'r'us)

quote:[HR][/HR]Will this DRF conversion work on a Passat B5?[HR][/HR]​
It should as long as you have DRLs to begin with.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (vw'r'us)

quote:[HR][/HR]When the headlights are turned on, will the fogs go out?[HR][/HR]​
They sure do. When headlights are turned on, fogs work as normal fogs. I.e. they come on when turned on.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (intonation)

quote:[HR][/HR]hey, this is a lil off topic, but you seem to know alot about this stuff....do you happen to know which fuse is for the reverse lights? thanx[HR][/HR]​
Schematic says its fuse # 7. Check the inside of the fuse panel to make sure.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (pman81)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>got any pictures of the car with the DRFs on?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No haven't taken any yet and probably wont be able to either. My camera isn't worth anything.
Here are some old pictures I took when I first got the yellow stars.

Modified by SSheikh at 10:23 PM 2-19-2007

·
Registered
14,345 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]hey, this is a lil off topic, but you seem to know alot about this stuff....do you happen to know which fuse is for the reverse lights? thanx[HR][/HR]​
You want to disable your odometer eh?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

As someone mentionned, it's fuse #7.
You should know however that if you do that you will lose reverse lights, speedometer, odometer, speed-sensitive wipers and your doors will not automatically lock at 8 mph. Oh, and it happens to be illegal, but most things are
Anyways, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (Obelix)

SSheikh - Who else could have done this!
Nice work.
I am trying to post pictures of the work you did on my seat heater icons. They look http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (matt007)

quote:[HR][/HR]Are you trying to make your car look like a Saturn?
[HR][/HR]​
Didn't know saturns had daytime running fogs.
Just trying to be less offensive to other drivers on the road with the awful beam pattern of our DOT lights.
BTW, I think I'm going to switch them back though. The yellowstars dont look that great during the day.
Another advise for those doing this mod is to use a little bit longer wires and pull the connectors into the fuse box. That way if you want to change them or disable them altogether, you dont have to take the panels off.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Fogs (Obelix)

DO you mean the standard speed sensitive wipers or the rain sensing wipers that the GLX's ahve? Are the standard speed sensitive wipers, like what the GL has noticable?
~D.J.~

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.