VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that DC no longer requires periodic safety inspections (just emissions every 2 years), does anyone know how they do the emissions test? Do they simply scan for emissions-related fault codes, or do they also do the tailpipe "sniff" test? I looked online, but I can't find anything with that level of detail.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I don't know the particulars, but I can't imagine it's a tailpipe sniff for any OBDII car. Plugging into the ECU takes 5 minutes. To do the tailpipe test, you probably need to run on rollers and that takes much longer.

No more saftey inspections, huh? That means DC drivers can now be like MD drivers and go around with 2 brake lights out or both taillights out.

·
Registered
'01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or their front bumper falling off.:laugh:

That's a new thing this past year, IIRC. You still have to do it when you register a car, just not every year. Personally, I think the safety inspection is more important than the emissions test, though I do appreciate clean(er) air. I figued the OBD II cars would just be code scan, but I wanted to be sure before doing some, uh, modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.