VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for any other DCC drivers who are interested in suspension changes and worried about how the DCC will be impacted. I labored over this decision for a couple years and finally went for it this past month with an eMMotion springs and rear sway bar combo.

My first observation is that the car looks so cool lowered. I had discounted how much I would prefer this until a friend parked next me when I was still stock height. Wow is all I can say. The work was straight forward and not hard to do either. In fact the alignment afterward showed very little adjustment required.

Second observation – the ride. I lived in “comfort” mode while daily driving and commuting and used “sport” for autocross. Previously, in “normal” the ride was never too harsh for me, but I preferred not noticing some of the imperfections on the highway. After the springs I am still in “comfort” most of the time and the ride is different:
  • I feel more road imperfections
  • There is a bit of bounce when going over bumps (the rear seems to recoil more)
  • The overall feel is close to what “normal” was before but not quite as stiff
Time will tell, as might a post-pandemic commute coming back, but so far the additional feel has not been too much and is actually kinda fun.

Third observation – handling. This one remains to be seen after the Autox season starts. So far with all-seasons and limited time driving fast the car feels better. I have even had the back end kick out a bit when coaxed which is what I want. I will update this post once I can compare the car’s handling this year post upgrades compared to last year. The only other change is me being a year older…

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First autocross completed with the new set up. It was everything I had hoped for given that it was cold out and the summer tires were not very warm. I finally felt the rear let go in a controlled manner (after the first time where I spun 90 degrees in a FWD car!). I'll know even more on a warm day with less than 6 months between events but I am really optimistic - the car handles better after the lowering/stiffening AND looks great.

I'm still adjusting to the increased road feel when in "comfort" mode. For some this could be a deal breaker but I'm having too much fun to care right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts