VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched a lot of topics, but none seemed to have any relevant info.
I drove last night in heavy rain and the car ran just fine. When I went to start it this morning, it's dead. The battery is in very good condition (not drained), but I have no maf or lights or any sign that there's power in the car.
I have a relocated battery with a fused power distribution block. All fuses are good as well as the ones in the panel. If I bridge the starter, it will turn over, but nothing more. My grounds are good and I have a new oem voltage regulator, as well as an SNS chip.
Any advice will be much appreciated http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Dead car, no power, maf, lights...... (pacobonnin)

I had a similar problem.. went thru hell trying to pinpoint what was draining my power. turned out to be those damn auto-belts. they'll kill ya.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Dead car, no power, maf, lights...... (Gaffle)

Thanks, but no, my battery is not drained. It has enough juice to crank over the motor when bridging the starter. I'm thinking it might be my ECU, but have no way to test it.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts

check the fuse panal for any blown fuses also the #3 relay is
the ECU relay and #4 is the ECU load reduction relay
you might check the Ignition switch by pushing the key
in turn and up and down with it turned to the start posistion.
The #3 relay is locaed the 3rd relay in from the driver side and
second row up from the fuses.

Modified by REPOMAN at 1:55 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Dead car, no power, maf, lights...... (REPOMAN)

ALL the fuses are ok and absolutely nothing happens when I turn the ignition. I will try new relays tomorrow. Thank you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

might want to check for moisture in the fuse panel area. If a relay got wet it can wreak havok on it. go feel the floor carpet in that region. you can if desperate open up the relays and check for moisture if thats a suspect.
also obviously, take the rotor/cap off and check for moisture, and pray to god you put the ecu bolts back on tight so no moisture entered the ecu.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dead car, no power, maf, lights...... (mrkrad)

No moisture in the panel or carpet. Took apart the ecu relays and there was no moisture or burnt smells.
The ecu is assembled properly, as I chipped it mytself. I'd find it pretty hard for water to enter it.
I'm really in the dark with this one. Any chance a bad chip could cause this? Just wondering .....

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

sure anything could go bad. never underestimate the obvious.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts

is there any chance the batery relocation cables may have crossed
or grounded? check the wires to the starter? power wire to the ignition switch?
i can't think of anything else right now.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Dead car, no power, maf, lights...... (REPOMAN)

if you spark the mains, that would be badddddd. I've seen a car that had this happen, lotta dead stuff, cluster dead, ecu dead, auto trans computer dead. nothing really protects power surges on these cars

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Re: Dead car, no power, maf, lights...... (mrkrad)

Quote, originally posted by mrkrad »
if you spark the mains, that would be badddddd. I've seen a car that had this happen, lotta dead stuff, cluster dead, ecu dead, auto trans computer dead. nothing really protects power surges on these cars

i did this today i thought my ecu was fried cause the car wouldnt start it turned out i forgot to hook the blue cts back up but i think i did fry my idle stabilizer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts