VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it. I took the car to the dealer for an oil change and they did NOT overfill it! It states taht 3.9 quarts were added on the receipt and the oil is right at the top hash of the dipstick. Perfect.
However, I do have a couple concerns that I hope some of you can relieve.
1. There were oil beads on the bottom of my car. It doesn't seem severe and I drove my car for 20+ miles after the oil change and the oil light didn't come on so I'm assuming there is no leak. Do you think they were just sloppy in removing the oil filter causing oil to drip everywhere or might it be more serious than that?
2. I've heard a lot about some belly pan that is a pain in the butt to remove and replace to get to the drain plug. Is there an easy way to tell if it was reinstalled properly by the dealer? I looked under the car and saw that the big plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine is there but it seems a bit loose. There even seems to be a a screw sticking through one of the holes in the plastic but all you see is the threads and there is no nut attached to it. Cause for concern?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: Dealer oil change (vwconvert)

quote:[HR][/HR]1. There were oil beads on the bottom of my car. It doesn't seem severe and I drove my car for 20+ miles after the oil change and the oil light didn't come on so I'm assuming there is no leak. Do you think they were just sloppy in removing the oil filter causing oil to drip everywhere or might it be more serious than that?[HR][/HR]​
Most likely. I had oil drops on the engine cover. Just check the oil level a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Dealer oil change (IndigoBlueVariant)

So after further inspection, I found out that the dealer did in fact screw up on reinstalling the belly pan. They left a bunch of fastners off. Word of warning to all those that plan on having their oil changed at the dealer: *In addition to checking for overfill, CHECK to make sure all your belly pan fasteners are in place after the oil change* Apparently, it is a pain to remove and replace the belly pan so mechanics will often take short cuts, like only putting in half of the fasteners.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Dealer oil change (IndigoBlueVariant)

I just had my local dealership do the 20,000 mile scheduled maintenance. Before driving off the lot, I checked the engine oil level using the dipstick. Not only was the level high enough to read above the hash marked area on the dipstick, it went up above the bend in the dipstick. I showed the mechanic, who then removed the excess oil. Evidently, VWoA procedures for refilling the drained crankcase are not followed at this dealership.
The pollen filter was not renewed either. When I called about this, the service rep at first denied that it needed to be changed. When I pointed out that it was among the 22 items on the service schedule in the car's owner's manual, he invited me to bring the car back. No thanks, I'll just take a new filter and install it myself.
As for what else the dealership neglected to do on this service, I imagine as a matter of practice they just never do things like lubricate hinges, adjust headlights, visually check the airbag system, etc. When I inquired of the service rep about the last item on the 20k-mi service schedule checklist, road testing the vehicle, he replied that the mechanic had probably done it, as he had said about other items I asked about. Funny, the car's odometer showed the same mileage when I picked it up as when I had dropped it off.
That's the last time I go to this dealership for service other than for warranty work. And even then, I'll watch them like a hawk.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]So after further inspection, I found out that the dealer did in fact screw up on reinstalling the belly pan. They left a bunch of fastners off.[HR][/HR]​
Having the belly pan put back correctly is (was?) one of the main reasons I have my oil changes done at the dealership.

[Modified by av_audi, 10:48 AM 8-8-2002]

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dealer oil change (av_audi)

quote:[HR][/HR]So after further inspection, I found out that the dealer did in fact screw up on reinstalling the belly pan. They left a bunch of fastners off.
Having the belly pan put back correctly is (was?) one of the main reasons I have my oil changes done at the dealership.

[Modified by av_audi, 10:48 AM 8-8-2002][HR][/HR]​
Me too. I may take my car to my friend now who is an Audi Mechanic. He may not know Passat belly pans, but he'll figure it out as opposed to neglecting to put it on properly due to laziness.

·
Registered
111 Posts

For those who still take the risk of having a dealer service
their cars check everything!! MARK YOUR OIL FILTER before going in. Check the OIL LEVEL and belly pan before leaving. Only the dishonest dealers will be upset by this.
It only took me once to find out I was being scammed by my stealership. They did NOT change my oil filter and overfilled my oil by nearly an inch on the dipstick.

The belly pan is NOT that difficult to remove on my 2002 GLS. I've done it for my last 5 oil changes, no problemo. I believe club b5 has some excellent directions at the website.
Ramps, a screwdriver (a stubby length is handy for the two in each wheel well) and a socket (10mm if I recall correctly) for the middle front lock nut. It will only go together correctly one way. It won't look right or be secure if it's done incorrectly.
Love my car, fear my dealer...

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Dealer oil change (Just say Mo)

quote:[HR][/HR]
It only took me once to find out I was being scammed by my stealership. They did NOT change my oil filter and overfilled my oil by nearly an inch on the dipstick.[HR][/HR]​
Yes. Some of them don't know the difference between the Jetta 1.8 and the Passat 1.8. My dealer didn't overfill my oil but I made a special request at the outset that they not overfill. Since I emphasized it 3 times, they paid attention. Also tell them to put 3.9 quarts max in the 1.8 (although 3.7 usually gets you to the top of the hash).

·
Registered
10,503 Posts

Sigh. You guys make me so worried. I just got back from my 25K oil change this morning. I went in with 4 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5w40 right on the driver's seat. They say it's done, I look at the service bill, and they charge me for 5 quarts of 10w30 Pennzoil! So I brought it to their attention, they took off the oil charge, but it left me wondering, "Did they even really use my oil? Or are they just telling me that to make me happy?"
Also, I checked my dipstick. It's above the "grated" portion of the stick and up to the bend. How did they manage that if I gave them only 4 quarts?
Oh, and one of the screws on my belly pan is gone, although I noticed this before my 25K service. So somebody along the line was a lazy a$$hole with my car. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Dealer oil change (Triumph)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sigh. You guys make me so worried. I just got back from my 25K oil change this morning. I went in with 4 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5w40 right on the driver's seat. They say it's done, I look at the service bill, and they charge me for 5 quarts of 10w30 Pennzoil! So I brought it to their attention, they took off the oil charge, but it left me wondering, "Did they even really use my oil? Or are they just telling me that to make me happy?"
Also, I checked my dipstick. It's above the "grated" portion of the stick and up to the bend. How did they manage that if I gave them only 4 quarts?
Oh, and one of the screws on my belly pan is gone, although I noticed this before my 25K service. So somebody along the line was a lazy a$$hole with my car. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.[HR][/HR]​
4 quarts will probably get you to the bend because not all of the oil is drained out during a change. They are supposed to put between 3.7 and 3.9 quarts in. As long as you are not above the bend, you are okay so says my friend, the Audi mechanic who works on 1.8t engines. However, if you are above the first bend, drain some out by using a siphon pump.
As for your belly pan, check to make sure that the two fasteners in each wheel well are in place. These are the most important since the belly pan keeps the plastic in the wheel well from blowing back against your tires. You can probably get by with a missing fastener here or there in the other areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.