VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my jetta back from its 40,000 mile service ($450
) and of course they changed the oil, but They put a little sticker with the dealer's name, and it was telling me to put 5W-30 in it. I know 5W-30 works, but shouldn't a dealer be putting in 5W-40 like the owner's manual says? I'm not familiar with oil viscosities, so could they be recommending 5W-30 because it's summer?

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Dealer Oil Issues? (kwerdna31)

Quote, originally posted by kwerdna31 »
I just got my jetta back from its 40,000 mile service ($450
) and of course they changed the oil, but They put a little sticker with the dealer's name, and it was telling me to put 5W-30 in it. I know 5W-30 works, but shouldn't a dealer be putting in 5W-40 like the owner's manual says? I'm not familiar with oil viscosities, so could they be recommending 5W-30 because it's summer?

In hot weather, the "thinner" grade would be counterproductive. (The higher numbers are "thicker"; the first number before the W specifies the cold viscosity range, while the second number specifies the viscosity range at fully warm engine temperature (about 100 degrees celsius).)
Most likely the dealer is using 5W-30 because it is cheap (conventional group I/II). 5W-40 is only available in synthetic (group III/IV/V) and is therefore significantly more expensive.
While 5W-30 is probably $1 per quart out of their bulk tank, 5W-40 costs:
around $7 per quart for Castrol Syntec at the VW dealer
around $5 per quart for Mobil 1 Truck and SUV or Valvoline Synpower at an auto store
around $13 per gallon for Shell Rotella T Synthetic at Wal Mart

Modified by tjl at 10:18 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Re: Dealer Oil Issues? (SERVICEMANGLER)

Quote, originally posted by SERVICEMANGLER »
5-30 oil is just fine and is approved by VW
Correct, and my experience with the 5W-30 oil is it works better. And to top that, 30 weight oil has been a standard for truckers and cars for many decades, no matter how sythetic it is

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Dealer Oil Issues? (SERVICEMANGLER)

Quote, originally posted by SERVICEMANGLER »
5-30 oil is just fine and is approved by VW

But do dealers use 5W-30 oil that has HTHS >= 3.5, as specified by VW 502.00/505.00 and ACEA A3/B3/B4 (though API ratings do not mention HTHS)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts