VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my car in for the first 5000 mile oil change and checkup and when i got the car back i noticed on the sticker that they put 10w30 in it. The manual says that it should be 5w40 or if that is not avail then 5w30... Is this a serious issue? I asked the tech about it and she said that they put that in all of the cars they service.. I am supposed to be getting a call back from the service manager I will let you all know what he says.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (jusrelax)

hint: bring 4 quarts of mobil-1 0W-30W whenever you take your car into service. Keep it synthetic!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (mrkrad)

ok i understand.... but i am asking if this is an immediate problem and needs to be changed out right away or can i run the oil that is in there until the next oil change? Also why does the book state one weight of oil and they just decide to put in another weight? i talked to the service manager and he gave me some crap about the climatic and seasonla conditions warrant 10w30... i think he is wrong because he is putting a heavier oil than what is called for in the car. I might have agreed with him if it was summer time and 100 degrees outside. but i live in colo spgs colo and the temperature outside right now is about 25 degrees... i thought thinner oil in winter and heavier oil in summer....

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

maybe you call VWOA and complain. Not a good idea to piss off the service manager (specially if they are mod friendly)... my 01 1.8T shipped from the factory with 0W-30W synthetic and theres no way in hell i'm putting anything else in..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (wolfsburg_de)

ya.. well i bought the oil change for life thing and it worked out to better then $20 an oil change.. so basically this stuff is already paid for and i am concerned about constant usage of 10w30 vs what the book says. The service manager actually told me that 10w30 was more protective then 5w40...which is complete BS

[Modified by jusrelax, 10:33 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Update...
The service manager called and said that they would fix the problem tomorrow, and also noted on the invoice for all future oil changes to use 5w30. This is the sort of good service that i expect from vw and the service manager came through for me in the end. Anyway just thought i would relate the rest of the story and let people know that not all vw dealers are crappy. Other then this one small issue my dealership has been a pleasure to work with and i would and have recommend Hueberger motors in colorado springs to anyone.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (TexasVWdriver)

quote:[HR][/HR]Relax. 10w-30 isn't that much different than 5w-30. [HR][/HR]​
Considering where jusrelax lives, 0W-30 or 0W-40 would be better. 5W-30 should be fine though. I'm the most anal person in the world about oil, and I used Mobil 1 5W-30 for 3 oil changes.
What is this "oil change for life" you speak of? Is this through the dealer? That's not such a bad deal actually if they're using VW/Audi filters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (dbrowne1)

yea its through the dealer part of the extended warranty i bought from them actually. Why do you think that 10w30 is a better oil for where i live? 5w40 will cover a much broader range of temperature extremes then 10w30 and still give me better gas milage then 10w30. by the way I also called another dealer here in the springs and they were amazed that my dealer was using 10w30. they only use 5w30 or 5w40 on the 1.8T.

·
Registered
105 Posts

hey guys, if you change your own oil, could this possibly void parts of warranty? Or any part that is connected to my engine basically, if there is an oil problem they will finger me?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (enfi)

I've heard that you better keep all receipts and keep good documentation for warranty purpouses. Also helps to buy a VW filter from the dealership. Further aids in documentation of oil changes. Also applies if you go to "quickie lube" places. Keep all recepts.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (TexasVWdriver)

Dealer gave us free oil changes for life (from them only) when we bought our car. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]my 01 1.8T shipped from the factory with 0W-30W synthetic and theres no way in hell i'm putting anything else in..[HR][/HR]​
How do you know this? I've read that the oil from the factory is regular oil, that it's synthetic oil, and that it's regular oil with break-in additives. Which is it?
Why would the factory recommend 5w-40 (with 5w-30 as an alternative) and then put in 0w-30 from the factory? Please help. I'm confused.
Thanks.

[Modified by PoorBoyMatt, 3:36 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,114 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (PoorBoyMatt)

I'm pretty sure mine was synthetic, too (although who knows exactly what kind of oil it was). I'm getting my first change tomorrow, and it's way too clean (and has a strange chemical smell) for dino oil with 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (rsbaker)

not sure about VW but audi recommends 0W-30 and ships from the factory with synthetics. My owners manual clearly states 0W-30.
Btw, can you even buy non-synthetic 0W-30??

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]yea its through the dealer part of the extended warranty i bought from them actually. Why do you think that 10w30 is a better oil for where i live? 5w40 will cover a much broader range of temperature extremes then 10w30 and still give me better gas milage then 10w30. by the way I also called another dealer here in the springs and they were amazed that my dealer was using 10w30. they only use 5w30 or 5w40 on the 1.8T.[HR][/HR]​
Re-read my post...I recommended a 0W-XX oil because you live in Colorado, which I assume is fairly cold. 0W will help at cold startup.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (dbrowne1)

Hey, atleast they didn't put in 20W-50 like they did on my first oil change....

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]hint: bring 4 quarts of mobil-1 0W-30W whenever you take your car into service. Keep it synthetic!!!!! [HR][/HR]​
Since he has a transverse cars he better bring 5

chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
434 Posts
Re: dealer put 10w30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T is this ok????? (chris86vw)

i wouldn't worry about it, since its still under warranty i doubt that the dealer would put oil in that would cause damage, cuz they are still responsible for it until 24000 miles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts