VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
As many of you already know there will be an official campaign to reflash most of the newer 1.8t Golf and Jetta's. Part of this campaign looks like you will be asked to sign something that states that your car has a stock ecu (they also mean stock/unaltered programming) before the dealers will do the mandatory reflash. The dealers do not want a bunch of dead cars!
What is also known is that if you have a Brand "N" or "U" chip, best case it will be overwritten and back to stock when the car is picked up. (An official “N” or “U” statement would be helpful to clear this up.)
I am not sure what will happen with the new "Rev*" set up. It seems like it will be overwritten and back to completely stock at pick up also. (An official “Rev*” statement would be helpful to clear this up.)
A*R’s chip even locked into stock mode will not allow a reflash. Therefore will fail the update and possibly even kill the ecu.
GIAC’s standard chip will not allow a reflash and will likely kill the ecu if a reflash is tried. All GIAC customers are urged to purchase (if you have not already done so) a stock chip adapter or upgrade to the IBE to avoid any problems.
At this time GIAC’s IBE or stock chip socket with the codes cleared is the only known way to allow this update to happen without any hitches.
Here is a link to another post from someone other than me relating to this issue http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=824454.
Previously some of you had said that this is a blatant scare tactic meant to push you to buy product from me/GIAC. I wish that was true. Give it a few weeks and we will all start to see the flood of problems this will cause.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Re: Dealer Reflashing Information and How/What Chips are Affected! (J. Moss)

Its a reason like this that I wanted a socketed chip. Swap back in the OEM programming and your as good as stock.

·
Banned
5,977 Posts

I was told by my Revo dealer that their software is encrypted. I was also told 'stock' flashes are set aside for a seperate memory segment than the 'performance' side of the Revo update. From what I was told, dealer flashes update the segment where the stock programming has been set aside to.. leaving the tuned part untouched.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Dealer Reflashing Information and How/What Chips are Affected! (Mindflux)

I heard that same thing about REVO from the Elite Motorworks at the ND show last weekend. Looks like a good deal. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote, originally posted by Mindflux »
I was told by my Revo dealer that their software is encrypted. I was also told 'stock' flashes are set aside for a seperate memory segment than the 'performance' side of the Revo update. From what I was told, dealer flashes update the segment where the stock programming has been set aside to.. leaving the tuned part untouched.

Would really like to hear from an official Revo rep. Was told by someone who knows more than me that the VAG tool does an erase sweep first.??..

·
Banned
5,977 Posts

Quote, originally posted by J. Moss »

Would really like to hear from an official Revo rep. Was told by someone who knows more than me that the VAG tool does an erase sweep first.??..

I'm quoting pretty much word for word what my "Revo Rep" in town said. Feel free to email [email protected] if you are that unsure.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm quoting pretty much word for word what my "Revo Rep" in town said. Feel free to email [email protected] if you are that unsure.

I sent them a link to this. Let's see if they have anything to say.
"if you are that unsure." http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
5,977 Posts

I sent them a link to this. Let's see if they have anything to say.
"if you are that unsure." http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

You're the one distrusting me Jeff.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

Lots of chip tuners have said lots of things that were not true about their products when first comign to the market just to help get their foot in the door. If REVO has not tried to see what happens when the VW software flashes over one of their tuned ECUs they are pretty much going on what they think it does. Dealer flashing is pretty new and well guarded until recently, before that it was only done by the technical center engineers going to the dealer themselves for the updates.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You're the one distrusting me Jeff.

OK, I think it is only fair if an official Revo employee puts this to rest.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Hello Everyone,
As many of you already know there will be an official campaign to reflash most of the newer 1.8t Golf and Jetta's. Part of this campaign looks like you will be asked to sign something that states that your car has a stock ecu (they also mean stock/unaltered programming) before the dealers will do the mandatory reflash. The dealers do not want a bunch of dead cars!

Don't let this vendor use these scare tactics. He is lieing about the "official campaign" to reflash cars. He has been attempting to swindle people into this lie as a marketting tool to promote GIAC chips over other companies chips.
GIAC chips are excellent, but so are APR and Upsolute and others. Buy the chip you want, but not because Moss tried to scare you into the one he happens to sell.

Modified by Tuba_Transport at 1:51 PM 5-6-2003

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about an "official campaign" to reflash all ECU's. It sounds more like a TSB to fix cars that are having cold start issues. Mine was one of those, and a new ECU (I think they actually replaced it, rather than reflash) seems to be working. I don't think anyone should freak out...yet, anyway...

Quote »
For any repair requested by the owner under warranty or outside warranty that requires flashing, which will automatically wipe out the "Tuning" program, your Dealership should advise the owner of the above and get his/her written consent...to the flashing procedure.

This is from your previous thread..."requested by the owner" doesn't really seem to indicate a forced reflash for all ECUs...

Modified by cjb at 12:19 PM 5-6-2003

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Dealer Reflashing Information and How/What Chips are Affected! (Tuba_Transport)

Quote, originally posted by Tuba_Transport »

He is lieing about the "official campaign" to reflash cars.

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
You know this for sure? I am no dummy, been doing this for quite a long time. Give it a few weeks. Let's all see.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

This "Campaing" pertains to cars exihibiting CHRONIC "cold-start" misfires. This is an issue primarily with AWP engine codes. The TSB to the dealer states that cars exhibiting this particular issue are to be re-flashed. CARS WHICH DO NOT HAVE A DOCUMENTED HISTORY OF COLD-START MISFIRES WILL NOT BE RE-FLASHED. Additionaly the abiltiy to re-flash the ECU is not a dealer level procdure and can only be done by the regional service director(s). This is not a "blanket" policy. The waiver in fact is relevant and can be an issue if in fact the effected car qulifies for the reflash and currently has a performance chip of some kind.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Dealer Reflashing Information and How/What Chips are Affected! (Rice-Eater)

Hi George,
We can all go by name here
. Many of these cars have misfire codes stored without ever triggering a ce.
Perhaps you can let us all know what happens if the Forge-Revo program is subjected to a dealer reflash.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Dealer Reflashing Information and How/What Chips are Affected! (Liquid1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by Liquid1.8T »
this is going to get gooooooooood...
:sits back and has a
::

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Dealer Reflashing Information and How/What Chips are Affected! (Rice-Eater)

Quote, originally posted by Rice-Eater »
This "Campaing" pertains to cars exihibiting CHRONIC "cold-start" misfires. This is an issue primarily with AWP engine codes. The TSB to the dealer states that cars exhibiting this particular issue are to be re-flashed. CARS WHICH DO NOT HAVE A DOCUMENTED HISTORY OF COLD-START MISFIRES WILL NOT BE RE-FLASHED. Additionaly the abiltiy to re-flash the ECU is not a dealer level procdure and can only be done by the regional service director(s). This is not a "blanket" policy. The waiver in fact is relevant and can be an issue if in fact the effected car qulifies for the reflash and currently has a performance chip of some kind.

Um the delears have been able to flash for about a year now since the WA recall came out for the 2Ls with 02 sensor problems. Also for the issue at hand the CD with the updates is in the mail on the way to every dealer in the country.
The bulletin is number 01-03-04, which came out april 29th 2003, held it in my hand just yesterday, and gave it to my service manager to copy and distribute.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

Jeff's a cool guy and wouldnt lie about crap to get people to come on over to giac...he has been around a VERY long time and knows his sh_t. Very honest guy and did business with him back in the day when velocity was around. Give it some time like he said, I would just view it as a friendly heads up to us thats all. Krista Gaio

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.