VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well the dealer for oil change and they said I need to replace my front strut mounts. The reason they said was because of the front strut bearings were sticking up about 2 inches. How long do you think it would last before something bad happens?

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: Dealer says I need to replace front strut mounts.. How long will they last? (binhyboi)

How many miles you got on the car? The mounts and bearings should probably be replaced every 50,000 miles for optimum performance. They are wear items and not covered by warranty. The swap is easy and you can do it with just a few tools (see my DIY/FAQ link below) Takes about 20 minutes per side. Make sure to get a wheel alignment afterward.
If you are paying for labour and you like your car (i.e. keeping it for another few years at least), look into getting new dampers (shocks/struts) as well. This can drastically improve comfort and drivability as your current dampers are likely worn as well. You will truly be amazed by the difference. Koni and Bilstein are good brands - stay away from the dealer no-name replacements brands like Monroe.
BTW, nothing horribly bad will happen if you don't replace these parts, but I assume you bought a VW for a reason - if you didn't care about the drivabilty and performance, you would have bought a Honda. You gotta maintain these beasts though.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by phatvw at 4:26 PM 3-22-2006

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: Dealer says I need to replace front strut mounts.. How long will they last? (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
Post a picture of the gap between the strut towers and caps.

The gap alone is not an indication that the mounts need to be replaced. Just go look at the few remaining brand new MkIV 2005 Golfs and there is already a small gap. However, as the mounts age and compress, both gaps will increase...
Oh and if you turn the steering wheel side-to-side, one gap will increase while one will derease.

Modified by phatvw at 10:48 AM 3-23-2006

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: Dealer says I need to replace front strut mounts.. How long will they last? (phatvw)

Quote, originally posted by phatvw »

The gap alone is not an indication that the mounts need to be replaced. Just go look at the few remaining brand new MkIV 2005 Golfs and there is already a small gap. However, as the mounts age and compress, both gaps will increase...
Oh and if you turn the steering wheel side-to-side, one gap will increase while one will derease.

Modified by phatvw at 10:48 AM 3-23-2006

I agree that the presence of A gap does not indicate a problem. If there's a 3/4 of an inch gap, then something is up then. In asking for the pics, I was basically just planning on looking for something blatantly wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.