VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so a dealer has a used car the the wife wants. I call the dealer up tell him I'm interested and we set a time to meet. The first meeting was ok took the car out without the wife (she was busy.) Everything looks ok drives fine, no issues with the car from what I can see. We get back to the dealer and start talking numbers. They are asking $16,995 for a 2006 Acura TSX with navi and 53k miles. KBB is rought $20k from dealer, so its a good price to start with. I give them an offer of $15k. He says he can't do it so I told him that I'd have to think about it and have the wife come down. $17k is a little out of our budget.
I get a call 2 days later from the salesman "confirming" our appointment for that day to bring the wife in. I told him that we never had an "appointment" and the wife doesn't want to spend $17k for the car. He then asks would we consider $16k I told him we would consider $16k, but would still prefer my offer of $15k. We set up a time to meet.
So we drive down for our appointment and he makes us wait 30 mins. I wasn't really happy with that. Then we look at the car and have my wife drive it. Turns out the car had no gas so we could only "drive around the block and back." That annoyed me more. How are you going to sell us this car if we can't drive it for more then 5 mins....
After the test drive he asks us to go into his office so we can discuss. At this point my wife hasn't given me her feed back and we really needed to discuss if this is what she wanted, but as we get into his office he starts pulling out forms and and asking us about applications (finance and what not) and I told him that we don't know if we like it just yet. We need a little time to discuss it. That's where he started to get pushy, and I started to not want this car anymore. He give's us to think and leaves the room for a few minute to grab his manager. At that point I decide to grab my wife and leave. NOw he;s starting to tell me how my numbers are wrong and how this deal is only good for today yada yada...
I told my wife if it was meant to be it was meant to be. Now a week later, I was checking autotrader and found the car from the dealer with a reduce price to $15,995. Which is what they offered it to us from $16,995. Now I'm thinking that I can get more off it, but I don't want to go back to the same salesman. Can I call the dealer up and ask for someone different? We got a "thank you" letter from the general manager. Should I give him a call and tell him I wasn't satisfied and would like to talk to someone different? Should I call in and pretend I'm a new customer so I can talk to someone else and home I don't run into the first guy I talked to?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Re: dealer situation... (knvs)

Quote, originally posted by knvs »
OK so a dealer has a used car the the wife wants. I call the dealer up tell him I'm interested and we set a time to meet. The first meeting was ok took the car out without the wife (she was busy.) Everything looks ok drives fine, no issues with the car from what I can see. We get back to the dealer and start talking numbers. They are asking $16,995 for a 2006 Acura TSX with navi and 53k miles. KBB is rought $20k from dealer, so its a good price to start with. I give them an offer of $15k. He says he can't do it so I told him that I'd have to think about it and have the wife come down. $17k is a little out of our budget.
I get a call 2 days later from the salesman "confirming" our appointment for that day to bring the wife in. I told him that we never had an "appointment" and the wife doesn't want to spend $17k for the car. He then asks would we consider $16k I told him we would consider $16k, but would still prefer my offer of $15k. We set up a time to meet.
So we drive down for our appointment and he makes us wait 30 mins. I wasn't really happy with that. Then we look at the car and have my wife drive it. Turns out the car had no gas so we could only "drive around the block and back." That annoyed me more. How are you going to sell us this car if we can't drive it for more then 5 mins....
After the test drive he asks us to go into his office so we can discuss. At this point my wife hasn't given me her feed back and we really needed to discuss if this is what she wanted, but as we get into his office he starts pulling out forms and and asking us about applications (finance and what not) and I told him that we don't know if we like it just yet. We need a little time to discuss it. That's where he started to get pushy, and I started to not want this car anymore. He give's us to think and leaves the room for a few minute to grab his manager. At that point I decide to grab my wife and leave. NOw he;s starting to tell me how my numbers are wrong and how this deal is only good for today yada yada...
I told my wife if it was meant to be it was meant to be. Now a week later, I was checking autotrader and found the car from the dealer with a reduce price to $15,995. Which is what they offered it to us from $16,995. Now I'm thinking that I can get more off it, but I don't want to go back to the same salesman. Can I call the dealer up and ask for someone different? We got a "thank you" letter from the general manager. Should I give him a call and tell him I wasn't satisfied and would like to talk to someone different? Should I call in and pretend I'm a new customer so I can talk to someone else and home I don't run into the first guy I talked to?

Call the general manager and ask that he either personally handle your sale or have the sales manager do it because you were unhappy with your previous attempt to purchase the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts

just show up and if it's that guy, ignore him and walk to their sales office and request someone different. sure it's rude, but he was rude to you & hasn't earned your courtesy.
one mistake you made was saying you'd consider $16k but prefer your offer of $15k. that indicates to that sales guy (and his manager if he was smart enough to tell him) that they can in fact get $16k out of you for the car. all they have to do is hold out for you to cave and bump your offer up to $16k. this time around stick to your guns as $15k is the max you can spend. don't budge or indicate that you could be persuaded to pay more.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts

Should I give him a call and tell him I wasn't satisfied and would like to talk to someone different? Should I call in and pretend I'm a new customer so I can talk to someone else and home I don't run into the first guy I talked to?

You and the dealer are both being *****. Go buy the car.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Re: dealer situation... (deucestudios)

Quote, originally posted by deucestudios »

You and the dealer are both being *****. Go buy the car.

Not on a used car. The dealer probably has another $1500 room to move.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Re: dealer situation... (MFactor)

Quote, originally posted by MFactor »

Call the general manager and ask that he either personally handle your sale or have the sales manager do it because you were unhappy with your previous attempt to purchase the vehicle.

Do that. If you are still treated like crap don't buy the car, and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Re: dealer situation... (CTPAHHbIN)

Quote, originally posted by CTPAHHbIN »

Not on a used car. The dealer probably has another $1500 room to move.

You can own 10 2008 Hondas with the exact same mileage for 10 different ammounts. Maybe they dont have the money to play with on that specific TSX. Either way it sounds like your sales guy is an ass, trying to get you to do paperowork and rushing the whole process. I would call the sales manager, tell him how you feel about the sales guy and offer $15k. Stick to your number weather you have a budget or not. If he passes on the deal, it was not meant to be. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,698 Posts

I'm having a hard time seeing what the situation is here.
Sounds like the salesman was doing his job trying to get you to sign and you were doing your job trying to get a lower price.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Internet prices are usually reduced to begin with and you don't know how much room they have in that particular car to negotiate. You also have to remember that dealerships have expenses they have to pay, they just don't take home all of the profit.
Compare the car to others in the area, if it is priced cheaper than most and is in better condition, I'd pay the $16K or offer $15,500. They will most likely settle for $15,500 anyway.
I would go find another salesman though, I have been selling cars for a year now, and I go out of my way to make sure I'm not rude to anyone, no matter what they say. It is perfectly okay to ask for some time alone to discuss the purchase of a car. If the salesman is too pushy but you like the car, talk to another salesman.
$16000 is actually a good price for this car, you have to remember that good dealerships will sell their cars at fair prices, it isn't their job to cater to demands of every customer and meet their offers.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts

It's called negotiation, not any kind of "situation". Only you can decide what price you are willing to live with, and only he can decide what price he is willing to live with. When one overlaps the other, you get a deal. If he doesn't come down to your price (or close to your price) and you won't come up to a price he would live with, no deal.
Just act respectfully, even if you are trying to drive a hard bargain. You are pinching your pennies and so is the salesguy.
Your best leverage is having alternatives. On occasion I've gotten much better cooperation from car salesmen when I make it clear that I saw this great car on a nother lot earlier today and the price was so much better......

·
Registered
504 Posts
Tell him your not paying s cent over 15,200 for two reasons. After you decide on 15,200 their going to throw in comission on the car an sales tax and so on. By the time you leave their going to have 16-16,500 on you anyways. So dont go any higher than 15,200 imo.

·
Registered
22 XC40 EV, 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
3,883 Posts

That was your point of failure. The ONLY reason you should be going back to the dealership is to purchase the car for the price you want. Never, EVER go back to "discuss the price" or anything like that.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Re: (notoriousifear)

Quote, originally posted by notoriousifear »
After you decide on 15,200 their going to throw in comission on the car an sales tax and so on.

Sales Tax isn't the dealers problem. It's a pretty weak negotiating tactic, IMO. I don't let my customers get too far with that when line; unless they simply state they have XYZ money total for out the door with taxes. Otherwise talk to your state legislator about taxes.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Middle-aged man sedan
13,573 Posts

So the book is $20k, they can't sell it for $17k, and they only let you drive it around the block? Is there something wrong with this particular car?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Re: dealer situation... (improvius)

Quote, originally posted by improvius »

That was your point of failure. The ONLY reason you should be going back to the dealership is to purchase the car for the price you want. Never, EVER go back to "discuss the price" or anything like that.
True words are spoken.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: dealer situation... (Samson)

Quote, originally posted by Samson »
So the book is $20k, they can't sell it for $17k, and they only let you drive it around the block? Is there something wrong with this particular car?

Most cars are selling for about $2-3K less than book value currently.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.