VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my ESP & then my MIL light come on, dealer (Pacific VW in Redondo Beach) tore into the car & says the alternator wiring harness had been "tampered with". That was the culprit in throwing codes. They want to replace my battery (since it drained twice), alternator & alternator wiring harness to the tune of $1200.
All on my dime since, "...the alternator wiring harness had been tapped to power the aftermarket stereo which may have pushed the harness into the cooling fan, causing damage to the harness. Therefore, VW of America won't honor the warranty".
FYI, I originally took the car to Renner Performance ( http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to Ivo & his crew) who diagnosed the general problem (alternator/wiring harness/voltage regulator). Ivo thinks it's a bunch of BS..."why would they tap the hardest wires to reach to power a stereo?".
Can I take the car to another dealer & see if they will perform the work?

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Who installed your stereo? Maybe you should check with them to see if they *did* actually tap that. Who knows, maybe your dealership is actually telling the truth.
But yes, you can go to a different dealership.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (2u4uR32)

Quote, originally posted by 2u4uR32 »
If its CPO you can take it to any VW dealer in the US.....

Pardon my ignorance, but what's "CPO"?
I forgot to add, car has 14K miles & is still under warranty (2nd owner).
MIKE SOLO, thanks for the advice, but stereo shop closed it's doors, not to mention it's located in Alabama & I'm in Cali.

I was gonna take it to Renner again & have him take a look.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If they mark it in the computer, then going to another dealer probably won't help.
With that being said, ASSUMING that the stereo shop really didn't screw up (which if they did, you're on your own). Tell them to show you what they are talking about. If they make up some BS, call them on it. (If you're going to call them on it though you better be sure that it really wasnt the stereo installers who hosed it)
Good luck.

-Adam

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Re: Dealer won't honor warranty work, can I go to another dealer?? (silversport)

Silver - Santa Monica VW is pretty good with enthusiasts so you could try going to them. You could go back to whoever installed the stereo and ask (don't tell them you have a problem) exactly how they installed your stereo first though (if possible get them to show you.) Ivo at Renner is a good guy and I'm inclined to believe he is right but you need good solid amo to present to the dealer.

Modified by robocopywriter at 10:52 PM 7-6-2006

1 - 7 of 7 Posts