VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting an APR chip. APR has told me that the only way the dealer will find it is if they really go looking for it and I should not have any problems with flash upgrades. The dealer said that they will find it no matter what, I'm aware that 2/3's of the time the dealer is full of it. Has any one with a chip had a dealer detect its presents, what happened? Thanks

·
Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: Dealers detecting Chiped Cars? (itg2001)

Biggest mistake was asking the dealer for their opinion, because perhaps now they'll be looking for you.
If someone sets out on purpose to do it, then any chip can be detected. APR with the multiple operating modes can be put into "stock" move, but all someone has to do is open the ECU and the extra hardware is a dead giveaway. (Very rarely will someone go to this trouble unless they have reason to do so ... like you blew an engine and you're trying to get it covered under warranty.)
But realistically, if you take the car in for an oil change, nobody is going to check.
I solve it by driving a car that is long past warranty, and never taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

The important question is not "can they find it" or "will they look for it", but rather "does this particular dealer even CARE" and "is the problem related to the chip".
Many dealers know about your mods and really couldn't care less even if the mod causes the problem. Some are very anal. Most are somewhere inbetween, and usually won't say anything unless you ask for warranty coverage on something that the mod may have contributed to breaking. I've dealt with 4 dealers in 2 states, none of them gave me any serious crap except when my GIAC chip was fried and caused my car to randomly stall. They declined to pay for a new ECU, which is perfectly understandable.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My dealer is preaty cool about little stuff (CIA, DP, exhaust, DV, etc.) The one think that they semed iffy on was the chip, but that dosen't mean that they will be looking for it.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts

I just went through this situation yesterday...My coilpack/spark plug went bad in cylinder 1.
I wasnt sure if they would replace it under warranty, because I am chipped, and heard stories that the dealer I went to isnt mod friendly.
Come to find out, they did search for it, never actually found it, but to a boost/torque reading and called me and asked why I had such a HUGE amount of torque.
They asked if I was chipped? I just said that my 3" dp/cat much have been why the reading was sooo high...
They fixed it under warranty, which they should have anyway, because the chip had nothing to do with a bad coilpack..so I gave them no reason to want to blame the chip..I said no I dont have one.
On the other hand, I spoke with a service tech at a different dealer at a local GTG, and he said that their service dept. loves to find chipped 1.8Ts and void warranties because of it.
I will never take my car to him...he even said, they hate to mess with them and that once they get the technology to flash 1.8T ecu, they will flash every chip they can...he told me they actually look forward to that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: Dealers detecting Chiped Cars? (RVs021.8T)

I waiting for the day the dealer calls and asks if I'm chipped. If I say no I'm dreading him answering in a cheery voice “well we had trouble communicating with your ECU so we gave you a new one under warranty...”

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: Dealers detecting Chiped Cars? (Motek)

Anyone have experience in dealing with the EPS light coming on?
I have some very minor mods on my car, but I'm scared 5hitless to take it to the dealer with the mods on it. Any insight anyone could offer would be GREAT.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: Dealers detecting Chiped Cars? (Jasonhouse1.8t)

I don't know about the light but why do you have the 4 FPR? I thought the opinion of most vortexers was you didn't need one?

·
Registered
105 Posts

Unless they open the ECU there is no way they will be able to tell ..
I have had mine in several times (APR for more than a year) and they had no clue..Even if they drive the car they still have no way of telling unless You floor it every time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.