VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I wanted to change out my Euro Tail light rear turn signal bulbs to an LED Amber turn signal. Moving up here to the Seattle region and with the sky's overcasts most of the year, I wanted a brighter light that would get the attention of fellow drivers of my intent for lane changes.

After I saw a post by Snubs64 on what type of bulbs/make and model....I ordered a set of VW CC NEW rear amber turn signal LED (supposed to have a brighter output and they also have red for those of you that don't have amber). Ordered on Tuesday and low and behold thet were in the mailbox when I got home from work today Friday. Went out and put one side in and did a left/right comparison. Gotta say these lights are SOOO much better than the incandescent bulbs IMHO. The LED lights blink with authority (if that makes any sense to anyone) vs. the slow blink of the regular bulbs. Finished the install and they look great and no bulb out message. Tired to get some night shots but I can't get a good shot with the lights blinking...sorry guys.

One downside....now I want to change the brake lights to LED's....Thanks deAutoKey! :thumbup:
UPDATE>>>a night shot pic added from camera phone...trust me pics don't do it justice...you have to see this is in person:

Daytime Pic up close:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE.....So the wife was following behind me and mentioned that these new amber LED's fill out the clear part of the EURO tails so much better. Plus she said these were BRIGHT...goal accomplished

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
UPDATE.....So the wife was following behind me and mentioned that these new amber LED's fill out the clear part of the EURO tails so much better. Plus she said these were BRIGHT...goal accomplished
Awesome may have to do this!! My LED reverse lights from Johnny are fantastic.

Did you notice any difference with the LED bulbs causing the blinkers to flash faster?
If he didn't install resistors, or they didn't come built in they would possibly. But more than likely they would show as bulb out error and cut the circuit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you notice any difference with the LED bulbs causing the blinkers to flash faster?
Nope...no difference in blinker speed and no bulb out message....truly plug-in-play.
I also have amber LED 's for my front euro code headlights for turn signals too so the electrical system is not having any problems with LED's used for turn signals

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
You're in Seattle now!?

Next time I am down we need an A3 get together!

And I need these bulbs!!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
For the rear signals, are they the "BRIGHTER amber rear turn signals" $65 pair?

I was following my car the other night and noticed that when braking, the amber signals got a little lost.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're in Seattle now!?

Next time I am down we need an A3 get together!

And I need these bulbs!!
Yep we just moved here 2 weeks ago....good change of scenery....and yes need to have a meetup

For the rear signals, are they the "BRIGHTER amber rear turn signals" $65 pair?

I was following my car the other night and noticed that when braking, the amber signals got a little lost.
Yep those are the ones! I had the same problem and these helped change the look and be seen.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Yep we just moved here 2 weeks ago....good change of scenery....and yes need to have a meetup

Yep those are the ones! I had the same problem and these helped change the look and be seen.
Right on. nelius and ceese are Seattle area and I'm 60-70 miles north. If they let Ponto across the border again it would be fun to meet up. Thanks for the info on the leds. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Right on. nelius and ceese are Seattle area and I'm 60-70 miles north. If they let Ponto across the border again it would be fun to meet up. Thanks for the info on the leds. :thumbup:
Knew about Ceese, but didn't know Nelius was!

I will likely be out that way in June perhaps. The gf will be done school finally!

Pssh they always let me across the border.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very cool...it'll be a good meet for sure. I haven't been up north in LONG time. Grew up in this area (at least from what I can remember) and the more things change the more they stay the same. Ponto....hiding out in the trunk does not count...haha

·
Registered
762 Posts
So I wanted to change out my Euro Tail light rear turn signal bulbs to an LED Amber turn signal. Moving up here to the Seattle region and with the sky's overcasts most of the year, I wanted a brighter light that would get the attention of fellow drivers of my intent for lane changes.

After I saw a post by Snubs64 on what type of bulbs/make and model....I ordered a set of VW CC NEW rear amber turn signal LED (supposed to have a brighter output and they also have red for those of you that don't have amber). Ordered on Tuesday and low and behold thet were in the mailbox when I got home from work today Friday. Went out and put one side in and did a left/right comparison. Gotta say these lights are SOOO much better than the incandescent bulbs IMHO. The LED lights blink with authority (if that makes any sense to anyone) vs. the slow blink of the regular bulbs. Finished the install and they look great and no bulb out message. Tired to get some night shots but I can't get a good shot with the lights blinking...sorry guys.

One downside....now I want to change the brake lights to LED's....Thanks deAutoKey! :thumbup:
UPDATE>>>a night shot pic added from camera phone...trust me pics don't do it justice...you have to see this is in person:

Daytime Pic up close:

Glad to hear I could help out and you had success with these. :thumbup::thumbup:

I noted that you did get the extra bright LEDs. I did not. Though I'm satisfied with the regular LEDs I ordered a pair of the extra brights for myself to replace the regular brightness not out of perceived necessity but preference and curiosity. I'll post back up what the difference is between the two. When I ordered mine I don't remember seeing those as an option or I'm fairly sure I would have ordered them but :confused:

OP, if you do go with the brake lights, let me know which bulbs and how they work. These things are subtle but really do kick up the look of the car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear I could help out and you had success with these. :thumbup::thumbup:

I noted that you did get the extra bright LEDs. I did not. Though I'm satisfied with the regular LEDs I ordered a pair of the extra brights for myself to replace the regular brightness not out of perceived necessity but preference and curiosity. I'll post back up what the difference is between the two. When I ordered mine I don't remember seeing those as an option or I'm fairly sure I would have ordered them but :confused:

OP, if you do go with the brake lights, let me know which bulbs and how they work. These things are subtle but really do kick up the look of the car.
Well thank you for the initial leg work....I guess these lights are new so they might not have been available when you got yours.
I'm trying to convince the Mrs. That I need to complete the LED look but in the meantime looking at my brake light bulbs it looks like there 1157's, so I'll have to see if they have anything that will work.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Got the extra brights and they are just that. The regular intensity LEDs worked fine and I had no complaints but I would recommend anyone who decides to go this route to purchase the extra brights. I guess that's just the risk analyst and manager in me :laugh:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the extra brights and they are just that. The regular intensity LEDs worked fine and I had no complaints but I would recommend anyone who decides to go this route to purchase the extra brights. I guess that's just the risk analyst and manager in me :laugh:
I put mine in the other night as well. :thumbup:
Good Deal...glad you liked them as much as I did....:beer: all around

1 - 20 of 87 Posts