VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a series of DIY/reviews of deAutoKey LED lighting solutions to share with you.

First off, a big thank you to the folks over at deAutoKey for providing these excellent LED bulbs. For the record, this is an independent review, and I am not a salesperson for deAutoKey - just a fellow enthusiast on a quest to find the most tasteful and high quality mods. :thumbup:

You can get all of these over at http://deautokey.com/

Trunk Lighting
---------------------------------------------------------

I will start off with the LED replacement bulb for the trunk.

The standard incandescent bulb is incredibly dim and yellowish, and does a poor job of lighting the cargo area overall. The replacement LED bulb from deAutoKey is an 8 LED festoon bulb that fits in the standard socket - plug n play.

A few pictures of the high quality bulbs from deAutoKey:

Heatsink on the backside of the bulb for heat dispersion and longer LED life.

DIY:

1. Gently pry out the trunk bulb holder.

2. Disconnect the power connector attached to the bulb holder.

3. Remove the stock incandescent bulb (nice and burnt, yikes!).

4. Install the deAutoKey replacement LED bulb, with the LED modules facing down.

5. Reconnect the power connector, and snap the bulb holder back into place.

Before:

After:

As you can see, the deAutoKey festoon bulbs output a very clean and crisp white light and are considerably brighter than the stock incandescent bulb.

Trunk Lighting Part 2

This is a review/DIY of the Universal Flexible LED Trunk Strip from deAutoKey. The kit includes adhesive-backed Velcro and 3 different adapters.

This is my personal favorite LED lighting solution for the cargo area, simply because it is bright! I've always wanted to install something like this but hadn't taken the time to figure out the wiring part of it. This kit makes it simple since they include the adapters needed (see below). Installation is simple, quick, and you can get really creative with placement. I highly recommend these to those who hate how dark the hatch always seems to be. As always with deAutoKey parts, high quality throughout and a classy crisp white light output.

Product pictures:

Adapters

Adhesive Velcro for easy installation

The actual LED strip

DIY:

1. As outlined above, remove the trunk bulb holder, and replace the existing bulb with the appropriate adapter from the kit - in my case, a festoon bulb adapter.

2. Get creative, and snake the wiring through the hatch panels to get it to the bulb holder opening.

3. Secure the two small white connectors and ensure the adapter is firmly in place.

4. Snap the bulb holder back into place.

The result!:

License Plate LED Bulbs

Finally, a look at deAutoKey's awesome license plate LED bulbs. Again, high quality pieces with the perfect amount of light output, and a crisp color temperature - none of that cheap blue tint here! They complement my LED taillights quite nicely.

DIY:

1. Remove old, replace with new - super easy install, since these are canbus bulbs (no bulb-out error).

A comparison of the eBay LED bulbs that I had installed (blueish, on the right side), vs. the deAutoKey bulbs (crisp white light, on the left).

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Any word on those LED turn signals? Rodger, was I right about deAutoKey or was I right? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53,155 Posts
I see zero advantage to this, other than to the seller. The OEM warmer light color is much more attractive and who needs more light in the truck and certain don't need the rear plate to be better lite. This is stupid other than to up your "mod" numbers.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any word on those LED turn signals? Rodger, was I right about deAutoKey or was I right? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You, sir, are the winner. :beer::beer::beer: They make some amazing products, that's for sure. Some of these cheap bulbs off eBay don't inspire confidence, but deAutoKey stuff is top notch.

The front LED turns? deAutoKey mentioned that they're expecting to see something in the near future for BA9s applications - so, I'm hopeful. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great review, I know a lot of parts of the MK7 come with LEDs, so the areas of the car that lack the LEDs are needed to match, and create a better light.

The trunk strip can be found here, and is a very popular option:
http://deautokey.com/product/universal-48-led-flexible-strip-for-your-trunk-fits-all-car-models

Thanks again for the great review :thumbup:
Thanks for that - would you also post the links to the trunk festoon and the license plate LEDs (these are awesome, and I'm sure many here will want to grab a pair).

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts
can you give the link of the liscence bulb ?
Link to LED license plate lights below.

http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-golf-gti-less-intense-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

Thanks Hatch3d, no problem at all.
Thanks for that - would you also post the links to the trunk festoon and the license plate LEDs (these are awesome, and I'm sure many here will want to grab a pair).
You, sir, are the winner. :beer::beer::beer: They make some amazing products, that's for sure. Some of these cheap bulbs off eBay don't inspire confidence, but deAutoKey stuff is top notch.

The front LED turns? deAutoKey mentioned that they're expecting to see something in the near future for BA9s applications - so, I'm hopeful. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words. We work hard to get the best quality, and perfect light temperature, these cars are beautiful, and a blue tint will ruin them, the crisp white will give your car a new look and feel and pull together the lines of the car.

The license plate LEDs that were tested can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-golf-gti-less-intense-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

and the Trunk Strip (best option for light) can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/product/universal-48-led-flexible-strip-for-your-trunk-fits-all-car-models

Trunk LED bulb can be found here[we do suggest the strip, more light, easy plug and play]:
http://deautokey.com/product/1pc-hyper-white-bright-trunk-led
Thank you again :thumbup:

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts
Thanks Roger. I ordered the strip. Never thought of that approach.
Thanks for the order, we think the strip gives the best light output and covers the post, the LED bulb is bright but the design of the housing and location doesn't allow for the best light coverage like the LED strip, and it conceals and looks OEM.

43mm festoon for the trunk
We sell 42mm and only suggest 42mm, when you get to 43mm, people actually overextend their prongs and they break. With 42mm you can push together your prongs and get a tight fit and it won't break.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Looking forward to purchasing and installing the strip. Seems like a great lighting mod to start off with (and the license plate bulb mod). Thanks for sharing Roger!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking forward to purchasing and installing the strip. Seems like a great lighting mod to start off with (and the license plate bulb mod). Thanks for sharing Roger!

Sure thing! I've already gotten several compliments on the light output and temperature of the hatch and license plate lighting. Looks absolutely beautiful, OEM+.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
50 Posts
Bookmarked this thread. Replacing the bulbs with these LEDs will be my first mod once I get the car.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
22,200 Posts

Bookmarked this thread. Replacing the bulbs with these LEDs will be my first mod once I get the car.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the orders/future orders, we think we made the perfect light temperature on the light strip, many on the internet now have a more blue tint to them, and it is hard to find a pure white light strip, also, they will NOT have the black wire like us, that is a great feature, you can hide any extra wire nicely in your trunk, no one will know where all that light is coming from!

Sure thing! I've already gotten several compliments on the light output and temperature of the hatch and license plate lighting. Looks absolutely beautiful, OEM+.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Thank you for the feedback, this is what we were going for when creating our LEDs. Glad you and others are enjoying them.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts