Car: 2009 VW Tiguan S, Non-Sunroof model

Tools Used/Needed

Dash Trim Removal Tool

One T15 triple Square
needle nose pliers
Canon Rebel 50mm and my Cell phone for pictures

Total time 30 minutes

the kit itself is well put together

I also got a baggy of "extras" which is a super nice touch.

Lets get started!
LED License Plate light

OEM

Lights from deAutoKey

Two issues I ran across: One Minor and One Major

The Minor:
One unit is came to me used, or at least has been installed at least one time before

(you can see the damage to the screw holes, nothing earth breaking)

The Major:
The other Unit was DOA so I will be testing out there life time warranty sooner then I had thought :p

OEM unit removed

New unit installed:

Note: the either units female connectors gave me a strong "click" from the OEM harness. But seems in there well enough.

Truck Light:

Old Bulb

New Bulb

Rear Dome Light

Use your Trim tool to work around the Unit.. Easier to work both sides out at the same time

Picture of the Clip point on the Head Liner

Dome Unit

User your Pliers to bend the metal cover out of the way.

Reinstall is easy!

front Dome Light

Once that cover is popped out, you will need your T15

Clip points:

Drop the Unit:

Removing the OEM bulbs

Make sure you testing the Bulbs before you reinstall the Dome Unit. Its 50/50 that your +/- are right on your new bulbs

Glove box light

Please note: Do not side the LED unit ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTLE of the Housing. It will not a have solid connect to the power point ( was the same way on my Treg)

Sun Visor lights.

Clip point is the Side closest to the door

and we are done!

I have two leftover LED from dome light kit.. not sure what they were meant for. I will get some pictures of in the dark tonight.

DT

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those are really great pics. together with a good description. Last month I bought the same pair of LED license plate lights and ran into similar problems. The first LED light assembly female connector did not have a positive snap unlike the OEM one, but was nice and bright. The other one did not work at all, the only way to get it to light up was by wiggling the connector back and forth...not good enough by my standards. Anyways....I returned the LED light assemblies and customer service promptly returned my money. Personally, I am sticking with the OEM VW bulbs, I don't think I will be experimenting with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from my cell phone, I will try to get better shots tomorrow night.

Replaced the Ziza city lights with to my two extras.. Just for kicks... they look better...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hmmm... tried 4 different browsers, all latest versions (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera), none of which could display any images in this post. Other DIY threads near this post (Overhead LED Console by JCWolf1.8T) work just fine.

I HATE it when that happens...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Nice writeup :thumbup:

I also bought a kit of LED's for my '13 Tig from deAutoKey. LED quality is great and their customer service is excellent.

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
Thanks for the great DIY, we will add it to our site.

Sorry about the license plate LEDs, we tested those on a Tiguan prior to shipping and didn't notice the drill marks we made, and we hooked them up to test them on our volt meter, and they worked both times. We think they might have broke in transit.

We will get you out a new one tomorrow, please send us your name/address.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks nice...aren't the other two bulbs for the footwell lights??? That's how the kit came for my jsw...
My 09 doesn't have footwell lights.. Weird isn't it..

Hmmm... tried 4 different browsers, all latest versions (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera), none of which could display any images in this post. Other DIY threads near this post (Overhead LED Console by JCWolf1.8T) work just fine.

I HATE it when that happens...
Thats odd.. I host all my images from PhotoBucket

Thanks for the great DIY, we will add it to our site.

Sorry about the license plate LEDs, we tested those on a Tiguan prior to shipping and didn't notice the drill marks we made, and we hooked them up to test them on our volt meter, and they worked both times. We think they might have broke in transit.

We will get you out a new one tomorrow, please send us your name/address.

Thank you

No worries.. Thank you for being so quick to reply to my PM on a saturday! :highfive:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tried the same mod this weekend, I'm not so impressed unfortunately. I had three issues:

1. I am in the military and the site says to get the military discount I need to call or have my order shipped to an APO address. I had it shipped to APO but no discount.

2. I too received a DOA license plate light. One works in both sockets the other works in one if I wiggle it and not at all in the other, I'd expect this from a $5.00 eBay LED but not a $50.00 LED.

3. I was short two bulbs in my set. I now have nice white LED lighting everywhere but my rear dome lights. I am going to see if I can pick up some cheap festoons at the local parts store (and probably pay out the ass for them to glow all the time) but it looks ridiculous with all white light and yellow rear domes (I'm damn sure not pulling everything back apart).

One thing I will add is you do not need to take apart your interior lights like the op did. I ordered the tool kit (highly recommend this) and I just popped the lenses off my lights and swapped the bulbs that way (except my rear domes :banghead: I popped those lenses and cursed awhile).

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
I tried the same mod this weekend, I'm not so impressed unfortunately. I had three issues:

1. I am in the military and the site says to get the military discount I need to call or have my order shipped to an APO address. I had it shipped to APO but no discount.

2. I too received a DOA license plate light. One works in both sockets the other works in one if I wiggle it and not at all in the other, I'd expect this from a $5.00 eBay LED but not a $50.00 LED.

3. I was short two bulbs in my set. I now have nice white LED lighting everywhere but my rear dome lights. I am going to see if I can pick up some cheap festoons at the local parts store (and probably pay out the ass for them to glow all the time) but it looks ridiculous with all white light and yellow rear domes (I'm damn sure not pulling everything back apart).

One thing I will add is you do not need to take apart your interior lights like the op did. I ordered the tool kit (highly recommend this) and I just popped the lenses off my lights and swapped the bulbs that way (except my rear domes :banghead: I popped those lenses and cursed awhile).
Sorry for the experience you are having, lets fix this.

1. We have given out hundreds of Military Discounts - if you sent us an email we would have given you the discount code, we can issue you the 10% refund, please contact [email protected] and they will send you the 10% refund and send you the discount code for future purchases.

2.Sorry to hear about the license plate issue, we test all housings before shipping and think these might be getting damaged in transit. Our warranty would have replaced it for you, did you contact the deAutoKey Team? If not, do so now, and they will get you set up.

3. We list all LEDs you get in the kit, if you think your car might vary from the standard Tiguan Lighting you can email us and we could get you a custom set as some models vary as you see some have footwells, some do not. But we are confused, are you saying we forgot bulbs or you have a different configuration? Again, contact deAutoKey - they will promptly help you and get you all set up.

Thanks and sorry for the experience you are having, that is not the norm at deAutoKey.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry for the experience you are having, lets fix this.

1. We have given out hundreds of Military Discounts - if you sent us an email we would have given you the discount code, we can issue you the 10% refund, please contact [email protected] and they will send you the 10% refund and send you the discount code for future purchases.

2.Sorry to hear about the license plate issue, we test all housings before shipping and think these might be getting damaged in transit. Our warranty would have replaced it for you, did you contact the deAutoKey Team? If not, do so now, and they will get you set up.

3. We list all LEDs you get in the kit, if you think your car might vary from the standard Tiguan Lighting you can email us and we could get you a custom set as some models vary as you see some have footwells, some do not. But we are confused, are you saying we forgot bulbs or you have a different configuration? Again, contact deAutoKey - they will promptly help you and get you all set up.

Thanks and sorry for the experience you are having, that is not the norm at deAutoKey.
1. I'll send an e-mail but your site says to get the discount have the order shipped to an APO, which I did.

2. I'll hit you up off line with my opinion on this one.

3. Your site lists the rear dome light bulbs, I have the same exact lighting configuration as the guy who wrote the DIY only difference is he got extra bulbs and I am missing bulbs (I'd suggest he got my bulbs but he said he used the spares for his city lights which suggests he got extra wedges not festoons). So I guess I'm saying you forgot bulbs.

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
1. I'll send an e-mail but your site says to get the discount have the order shipped to an APO, which I did.

2. I'll hit you up off line with my opinion on this one.

3. Your site lists the rear dome light bulbs, I have the same exact lighting configuration as the guy who wrote the DIY only difference is he got extra bulbs and I am missing bulbs (I'd suggest he got my bulbs but he said he used the spares for his city lights which suggests he got extra wedges not festoons). So I guess I'm saying you forgot bulbs.
They give a discount to use prior to purchasing and the proof would be that it is shipping to an APO.

Yes, please contact deAutoKey, the refund can be given tonight.

And sorry about the LEDs missing, that is very very rare as two people count and no Kit on the market has only 2 wedges for their dome light. That can go out with the license plate LED if you contact deAutoKey.

Thank you

·
Registered
373 Posts
They give a discount to use prior to purchasing and the proof would be that it is shipping to an APO.

Yes, please contact deAutoKey, the refund can be given tonight.

And sorry about the LEDs missing, that is very very rare as two people count and no Kit on the market has only 2 wedges for their dome light. That can go out with the license plate LED if you contact deAutoKey.

Thank you
"10% MILITARY DISCOUNT

You are eligible for a 10% Military Code, all you need to do is email us with a Military email OR have your item shipped to an APO/FPO address.

- See more at: http://deautokey.com/10-military-discount#sthash.Dere1iiV.dpuf"

That is a copy and paste from the website not trying to start a pissing match just saying you might want to edit it because it does not say to get the discount code and use the APO shipping to confirm, it says to ship it to APO for the discount (as I interpret it).

I'm sure you guys pack plenty of LED kits and mistakes obviously happen (as was the case with both kits referenced in this thread). I would immagine Tiguan kits don't sell as often as GTI kits so I'm sure the rate of error on them is higher, got it. Maybe someone packed the two wedges and ran out of festoons on their pile-o-LEDs and guy number two assumed they were good to go and threw the sticker on the bag, doesn't change the fact that I am two LEDs short.

I'm going to assume that I'm interpreting your messages wrong because half of them sound like "we will fix it" and half sound like "it wasn't us, you must of screwed up placing your order".

I will send you guys an email today and I will update this thread to let everyone know how I felt/feel about the resolution of these issues. You guys seem to have a good name on this forum so I'm biting my tongue on a few things, please don't make me regret that.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P0299, thanks for being in the military.. I hope your APO is a safe one. (which I guess it is, I never had car parts sent to my address in afghanistan)

But this thread isn't the place for this, e-mail them and if for whatever reason they don't take care of you then make your own thread about it.

thanks!

DT

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
"10% MILITARY DISCOUNT

You are eligible for a 10% Military Code, all you need to do is email us with a Military email OR have your item shipped to an APO/FPO address.

- See more at: http://deautokey.com/10-military-discount#sthash.Dere1iiV.dpuf"

That is a copy and paste from the website not trying to start a pissing match just saying you might want to edit it because it does not say to get the discount code and use the APO shipping to confirm, it says to ship it to APO for the discount (as I interpret it).

I'm sure you guys pack plenty of LED kits and mistakes obviously happen (as was the case with both kits referenced in this thread). I would immagine Tiguan kits don't sell as often as GTI kits so I'm sure the rate of error on them is higher, got it. Maybe someone packed the two wedges and ran out of festoons on their pile-o-LEDs and guy number two assumed they were good to go and threw the sticker on the bag, doesn't change the fact that I am two LEDs short.

I'm going to assume that I'm interpreting your messages wrong because half of them sound like "we will fix it" and half sound like "it wasn't us, you must of screwed up placing your order".

I will send you guys an email today and I will update this thread to let everyone know how I felt/feel about the resolution of these issues. You guys seem to have a good name on this forum so I'm biting my tongue on a few things, please don't make me regret that.
Yes, the wording is tricky, it means that a military email or APO will be the proof and then they will email you the discount code to use, the discount code never expires. I do wish someone in the warehouse caught that they were shipping to an APO and send us an email saying to give you a 10% discount but they might have assumed that you received the 10% discount.

If you contact the deAutoKey Team [email protected] they will take care of you, they were waiting for the email as I sent them this issue and they want to help you out. Trust me when I say this, they are very upset about this incident and want to help. deAutoKey has a lot of respect for anyone who serves in the military and is the reason they give out the discount code for them, again the discount never expires..

For the missing LED I was just saying it is not something that happens because it throws a red flag to have only 2 LEDs in 1 bag for dome LEDs. But being in a public forum we want anyone reading this thread to know our track record, but of course they are going to send you your missing LEDs, they are just waiting for your email.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fun fact I learned tonight.. I can't turn off my gauge door opener light for more than 10 second.. I tried for like 12 mins.. /sigh

here are some rushed shots.. Racing the light and its like 29 outside...

Same light set on the touareg.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wow that's really bright inside the car. A little to bright, would kill night vision if you were driving and a passenger turned on a reading light to check something. Wow, looks nice though.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow that's really bright inside the car. A little to bright, would kill night vision if you were driving and a passenger turned on a reading light to check something. Wow, looks nice though.
above picture is with all of them on (even the glove box open).. so its not that bright in normal conditions

1 - 20 of 36 Posts