VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is something cool that deAutoLED just came out with. It allows you to add rear footwell lights without the need to add another housing and do additional wiring. The product is a 194 LED bulb that you use for the front footwell lights, and then there is a wire that runs off of it and powers an LED strip. So you're able to tuck the wire in and route it to under the seat, where you can mount the LED strip. I believe it'll be available in red and white. They also work with the factory footwell adjustments. So you can dim and turn them off in the MFD. Here it is installed in my car.

Here are some pictured of how it's installed.

This is how the bulb is plugged into the housing. Also note that you don't need to reattach the metal casing onto the housing.

The wire can be tucked behind this plastic pretty easily, and then you can run it along the bottom door sill plastic. Just tuck it along the inside edge. Also be careful not to pull on the wire near the bulb. You don't want to pull the connection off of the bulb.

Depending on the car yours might require a resistor. If it does there is 3M adhesive pads provided and you should make sure you secure it to metal.

There is also adhesive supplied with the kit to attach the LED bulb to the underside of the seat.

Overall it's a really neat kit. The lights are super bright and they look great with the rest of the red interior accents. Stay tuned for a group buy from deAutoLED.

·
Registered
645 Posts

There is also adhesive supplied with the kit to attach the LED bulb to the underside of the seat.

Overall it's a really neat kit. The lights are super bright and they look great with the rest of the red interior accents. Stay tuned for a group buy from deAutoLED.
Thank you for the write up! Turned out really well and, yeah, old post is old...:D

Question...the kit states that you get ONE led strip for the back. Do you simply cut it in half, one for each rear footwell? Sorry, stuck on stupid over here and appreciate any help/insight someone can lend!

·
Vendor
22,448 Posts
Thank you for the write up! Turned out really well and, yeah, old post is old...:D

Question...the kit states that you get ONE led strip for the back. Do you simply cut it in half, one for each rear footwell? Sorry, stuck on stupid over here and appreciate any help/insight someone can lend!
Hi, thanks for the question. You do not have to cut the wire - you can cut it every 3 LED didoes if you want to make the LED strip less bright. Here is another DIY:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi, thanks for the question. You do not have to cut the wire - you can cut it every 3 LED didoes if you want to make the LED strip less bright. Here is another DIY:
First and foremost, thank you for the reply!

I guess I should better articulate my question...how do I use one led strip to illuminate two rear footwells? I was trying to figure-out if the one strip is to be cut in half so that one half can be used to provide light in each footwell.

As a funny aside, you do realize that the DIY link you provided was in fact THIS very thread, right? :D

Thanks again and I appreciate your help!

·
Vendor
22,448 Posts
First and foremost, thank you for the reply!

I guess I should better articulate my question...how do I use one led strip to illuminate two rear footwells? I was trying to figure-out if the one strip is to be cut in half so that one half can be used to provide light in each footwell.

As a funny aside, you do realize that the DIY link you provided was in fact THIS very thread, right? :D

Thanks again and I appreciate your help!
each side has its own LED strip that wires to the front footwell.

You have 1 front footwell LED goes into OEM housing
->that front LED footwell attaches to a wire
->that wire has a LED strip attached to it
->the power comes from the front LED and sends it to the LED strip you place in backseat
->there are 2 in the kit 1 for each side.

I hope this better explains.

·
Registered
645 Posts
each side has its own LED strip that wires to the front footwell.

You have 1 front footwell LED goes into OEM housing
->that front LED footwell attaches to a wire
->that wire has a LED strip attached to it
->the power comes from the front LED and sends it to the LED strip you place in backseat
->there are 2 in the kit 1 for each side.

I hope this better explains.
It does!! Thank you again for your attentiveness and explanation(s)...will be ordering these shortly.

Have a great day! (y)

·
Vendor
22,448 Posts
It does!! Thank you again for your attentiveness and explanation(s)...will be ordering these shortly.

Have a great day! (y)
Yes, thanks for the question. I see it was not that obvious on their site and told the team to update so people know they get one for each side.

Very clean easy install and makes the car look much better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts