VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 rabbit wolfsburg with the 1.7 liter and fuel injection. It idles fine, but when you rev the engine, it hesitates then gets up and goes. when you let off the gas it goes to about 200 rpms and then this small valve on the valve cover clicks and it goes back up to 800 rpms and idles normally. Ive looked in a million books and i cant even find a picture with this thing to find out what its called. Its 2 small cylinders near the strut tower. They are about an inch or two tall, one is black and the other is white and they each have 2 wires and 2 vacuum hoses going to them. The closest ive found in a book is called a decelerator valve. Does anyone know how much a new one is from the dealer, or does anyone have a working one lying around that i can purchase. Also the O2 sensor light on the dash is on? probably related.
thanks in advance,
Pat

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: decel valve problem?????? help me please (volksrabbits-r-us)

i finally found on a parts CD what this thing is. Its called a secondary air change overvalve. anyone have any idea what these cost at the dealer?
thanks

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: decel valve problem?????? help me please (volksrabbits-r-us)

It's not the valve that's faulty, the valve is keeping it going, they control increased idle speed for an auto trans or aircon ect.
Fix the o2 sensor fault first.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: decel valve problem?????? help me please (Vdubs)

These valves open to alow air to bypass the throttle to increase your idle. I think one opens when a/c is turned on and one opens when the computer senses your idle is too low. I would make sure you don't have any tears in any of your rubber boots or other vacuum leaks. I would also take some carb cleaner and clean your intake plunger really good. Sometimes gunk can make the plate stick and act funny. Clean your throttle body while you are at it. Maybe this helps a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts