VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
35,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a number of years since my last carventure...when a friend and I picked up a pair of Ford Capris. You might remember that thread, and we do still have those cars. Of course I also have my fleet of Volkswagens and so on.

One car has been on my bucket list, and on my radar, for many years. Turns out a good friend of mine decided to let his go after 20 years of ownership. Now, we had discussed this possible purchase for a long time, but when it came down to it, the deal was done in mere days. I flew south and drove her home.

There was no time to see the sights, but I did snap this:

I drove for hours staring at some amazing landscape...alone.

Until I arrived safely and without breakdowns. The plan? A full OEM-plus restoration. No drifting, only canyon carving. It's a dream come true!

And sure, here's the original KA...which will be replaced with, you guessed it, a fresh KA!

·
Registered
21,985 Posts
Ooooh, a basically stock nearly-unmolested kouki! There can't be many left out there, especially non-rusty CA cars... That thing is worth a ton of money these days! Congrats!

Reactions: patrikman

·
Registered
46,493 Posts
Excellent! I’ve always had a fondness for those cars and when I see one now it’s usually a thrashed car with idiotic 20 year old cheap mods that haven’t aged well either stylistically or functionally. It’s nice to see one in such good condition. That it’s in good shape in the northwest isn’t too surprising, but around here they’re rare as hen’s teeth.

congratulations! 🍺

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I can't say the last time I saw one of these locally in even half decent shape. They tend to have major frame rot issues and yet people still want thousands and thousands of dollars for rotted chassis cars. Looks clean

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Damn, that's awesome! It looks like it doesn't even need a restoration.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hmmmm…so this does not have the chrome-plated three-wing rear spoiler with flashing lights? It seems that you have been deprived of modifications. :D

🍺

·
Registered
Giulia, HRV, Ranger
3,461 Posts
Wow! This was my dream car in high school for sure. I ended up with an S13 coupe. They didn't make many koukis for NAM.

And now, looking back at my time with my 240, I don't think the KA was really all that bad. It was reliable, torquey. I honestly think I liked that KA more than the F20 in my BRZ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
2,678 Posts
These are so great looking in stock or slightly modified form. I saw one years ago in Minneapolis that was black. It was cosmetically stock but lowered on a set of bronze 17s with wide tires and it was just perfect. Yours looks like an amazing example! Congrats!

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,179 Posts
Wow, I like that. I don't remember the last time I saw one of those. Looks pretty good as is to my eye. I'd probably be tempted to do something powertrain-wise to get a bit more power, but either way, I'd drive the hell out of it. Congrats and nice find!

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I always wish Honda had made the Prelude a viable Silvia competitor by making it RWD. Instead, it was just a more expensive Accord Coupe with astronomical insurance premiums.

The older I get the more I appreciate clean mostly stock examples of cars that were 2nd-level aspirational in my youth. One usually started off with a real entry level car and then leveled up to something like this 240SX.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts