VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Congrats, looks like a perfect resto candidate.. I cant remember the last time I saw one around here, never mind one in good stock condition. Seems most were beat on, turned into parking lot drift toys and tossed in recycling on way home. Good to see one with a life ahead!

·
Registered
35,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Those 350z wheels look so right on there
They sure do. At first I felt they were a size too big (18") but they're going to be refinished and they're staying on the car.

Ooooh, a basically stock nearly-unmolested kouki! There can't be many left out there, especially non-rusty CA cars... That thing is worth a ton of money these days! Congrats!
Thanks! Obtaining a non-rusty example is certainly half the battle.

Excellent! I’ve always had a fondness for those cars and when I see one now it’s usually a thrashed car with idiotic 20 year old cheap mods that haven’t aged well either stylistically or functionally. It’s nice to see one in such good condition. That it’s in good shape in the northwest isn’t too surprising, but around here they’re rare as hen’s teeth.

congratulations! 🍺
They're just as rare here, you never see an unmodified example for sale.

How in the hell did you find that? It's awesome!
From a friend, he has enjoyed it for the last 20 years.

I can't say the last time I saw one of these locally in even half decent shape. They tend to have major frame rot issues and yet people still want thousands and thousands of dollars for rotted chassis cars. Looks clean
Certainly is, no rot here, clean California car.

Congrats, that's an awesome score. As the others stated these things are pretty much nonexistent in this condition. Bonus points for being a kouki and all one color.
Kouki is the only way to have an S14 imo. 👍

Damn, that's awesome! It looks like it doesn't even need a restoration.
Needs mechanicals for sure. Engine refresh and transmission rebuild, plus general maintenance. The bodywork is the main issue here. Failed clearcoat and minor accident damage.

Congrats, love the S13, S14, and S15. Too bad the US car came with the unrefined KA engine instead of the JDM SR20DET.
I don't mind the KA. It makes a glorious noise when you rev it out. Besides, since I also have the same year hardbody, it's nice to own both the SOHC and DOHC versions.

Hmmmm…so this does not have the chrome-plated three-wing rear spoiler with flashing lights? It seems that you have been deprived of modifications. :D

🍺
Hahaha! Plenty of mods, just not the flashy kind.

Wow! This was my dream car in high school for sure. I ended up with an S13 coupe. They didn't make many koukis for NAM.

And now, looking back at my time with my 240, I don't think the KA was really all that bad. It was reliable, torquey. I honestly think I liked that KA more than the F20 in my BRZ :rolleyes:
No, I think they sold around 3600 in 1997? Considering how many of those have been riced and drifted, this one is a rare bird indeed.

That's the biggest difference with the Scirocco, torque! The KA is quite torquey.

These are so great looking in stock or slightly modified form. I saw one years ago in Minneapolis that was black. It was cosmetically stock but lowered on a set of bronze 17s with wide tires and it was just perfect. Yours looks like an amazing example! Congrats!
Thanks!

Wow, I like that. I don't remember the last time I saw one of those. Looks pretty good as is to my eye. I'd probably be tempted to do something powertrain-wise to get a bit more power, but either way, I'd drive the hell out of it. Congrats and nice find!
Yes...I mean, it is possible to supercharge the KA. That's totally an option I might explore.

·
Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,451 Posts
Looks great! Congrats! it's nice to see one get saved from certain destruction.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Amazing!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? I am looking into getting an S14 myself. Found one near me for the equivalent of 14k USD. SR20DET swap, Kouki S14, Small frame turbo, full respray, full resto etc etc etc

I am not sure what to pay. Where I am there are only 70 local units in the whole country!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Congrats! S14s are pretty rare and that one looks very clean.

I'd do an SR20DET swap, just my opinion. That's what the JDM ones came with and that's what made them famous.

·
Registered
35,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Amazing!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? I am looking into getting an S14 myself. Found one near me for the equivalent of 14k USD. SR20DET swap, Kouki S14, Small frame turbo, full respray, full resto etc etc etc

I am not sure what to pay. Where I am there are only 70 local units in the whole country!
I'd say $14k to $15k buys you an unmolested kouki. For me modifications lower that price point.

Cool car and an amazing time capsule! Great to see an S14 without stickers, mismatched body parts, and zip ties.
Haha, I forgot these usually roll around in "cambergang" type of stickers. They're really not a common sight anymore, modded or otherwise.

Congrats! S14s are pretty rare and that one looks very clean.

I'd do an SR20DET swap, just my opinion. That's what the JDM ones came with and that's what made them famous.
Everyone has an SR20DET...and in my opinion, if there was going to be a swap, it would be LS3. This car has managed to keep its KA for 24 years, and I plan to keep it so for the next 24. It does everything I want it to do.

·
Registered
Giulia, HRV, Ranger
3,461 Posts
the one mod I always wanted in my S13 and couldn't afford in high school, that might be a tasteful and period addition to that S14, are Bride seats

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,488 Posts
Until I arrived safely and without breakdowns.
If the rear axle didn't sanp in half, that was a good run! :D

Congrats.

A coworker had one in 1995?

·
Registered
35,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I love the color. What a great car. I'm pretty sure it has found the perfect home.
Thanks!

the one mod I always wanted in my S13 and couldn't afford in high school, that might be a tasteful and period addition to that S14, are Bride seats
You know, that might be the one big mod I'll do. The stock seats are anything but comfortable for long trips.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts