VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanx guys for reading this. i have a problem with my blinkers.. they dont work all the time.. when ever i press on the brake the turn signals cut out (stop) and the lights that indicate the signals and they dimly light up (both of them).. the same thing happend when i throw it in reverse.. the lights dimly light up again..
my dad thinks its bad grounding.. but we tested the grounding and all seems fine.. then we changed the turn signal relay first the canadian tire one (blinked too fast but still on odd intervals and still did the same thing for reverse and the brakes) and then we put the old one back... is it just the relay that we have to change or is it also something else that is causing the problem?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Re: Defenately a problem (Kooz)

Check your rear bulbs and make sure you have the right ones in there, alot ppl put wrong bulbs in and it F's every thing up..
they should be double elemint in the bake and single in the turn, maybe they where put in the wrong sockets and they are making a mess with your electirical...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Defenately a problem (V6R)

I know exactly what the problem is. This happened on my 97 GTI. It could be one of two problems. They are both related to rust though. Make sure you check both sides, first being the pin adaptors. Rust buildup on the connectors will cause this. After you are sure these are OK...now check the bulb clusters. Its basically a circuit board. Just make sure there is no rust on the paths. My guess is you got rust on one these 2 areas that cause this problem.

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: Defenately a problem (PlatinumGLI)

quote:[HR][/HR]I know exactly what the problem is. This happened on my 97 GTI. It could be one of two problems. They are both related to rust though. Make sure you check both sides, first being the pin adaptors. Rust buildup on the connectors will cause this. After you are sure these are OK...now check the bulb clusters. Its basically a circuit board. Just make sure there is no rust on the paths. My guess is you got rust on one these 2 areas that cause this problem.[HR][/HR]​
Also Replace the Gaskets around your Taillights Odds are they are leaking that is what happen to mine I made new seals and sprayed the inside with WD40 and I've never had the problem reappear.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Re: Defenately a problem (PlatinumGLI)

quote:[HR][/HR]I know exactly what the problem is. This happened on my 97 GTI. It could be one of two problems. They are both related to rust though. Make sure you check both sides, first being the pin adaptors. Rust buildup on the connectors will cause this. After you are sure these are OK...now check the bulb clusters. Its basically a circuit board. Just make sure there is no rust on the paths. My guess is you got rust on one these 2 areas that cause this problem.[HR][/HR]​
I had this same problem, so it could be yours too.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Defenately a problem (GTI-Gabe)

concerning the first few statements about the bulbs.. the bulbs are all correct size and models, we bought them special from VW, we changed them all they all work..
but to the latter statements i will certanly check that, thanx guys ill post the followups on how things go..

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Defenately a problem (VW_GolfFreak)

well we fixed it.. it was bad grounding on the right taillight.. there was massive corrosion on that wire, we cleaned that off and stuck it in again and the lights are brighter then ever.. and everything works fine!
thanx alot guys for helping appriciate it much..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts