VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a few weeks ago i was drivin [my 97 gti vr6, 104,xxxmiles] down the highway and lost hella power; engine misfiring(loss of exhaust note along with short powerful burts of exhaust, which reminds me of the sound of a big block chevy motor cammed out), cel flashing, the whole deal...so the car has been parked for a few weeks and i just got in my new plugs and wires(decided that would be a good place to start, since it is cheap) (keep in mind that i have a vag com print out with intermittent misfires in cyl, 1, 3 and 5) so upon removing cyl3's plug i discover that it is completely burnt out, just gone...so i got excited and figured as soon as i got that new plug in there with my new wires everything owuld be good to go...well about half hour later i realize this isnt the case, my car runs exactly the same...in the process of looking everyting over making sure the plug wires are tight to the plugs i hear a ticking sound and see the coil pack sparking on the cyl.6 terminal...it has like a pinhole sized hole in it from what i can see (this arcing is completely new too
) as soon as it started arcing, the car ran even WORSE. so what im wondering, is if my#3 plug could have exploded, and when this happened my coil pack failed internally and now sends no spark to cyl3 at all...and just by chance all of a sudden the #6 got a whole in it? im thinking about ordering a new coil pack, but i would be extremely depressed if this wasnt going to fix my problems
....does anyone else have any ideas??? i know this is a long post but any responses would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Banned
2,158 Posts
Re: definetly need some help... (GTIStile)

could be the coilpack itself.
i had a similar issues with cyl6, was misfiring, then eventually wasn't firing at all. See if you can borrow a coilpack from a friend just to see that that ISN'T the issue.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: definetly need some help... (DanVR666)

Just put some epoxy on your coilpack as even a brand new one can crack and cause misfires. (Much cheaper than replacing)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts