VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my frost warning and snowflake didn't 'alarm' me until well into my morning commute even though the outside temp was a frosty 19F at the start of my drive. (The temp at the time of the alarm was 29F). This isn't the first time this has happened. Anyone else experience this?
Do I care about the functionality of this feature...no. Do I take this problem as a sign of something more serious to come...yes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Delayed frost warning chime. Electronics going funny? (sunjazz_99)

It must be a MA thing because it has happened a couple of times on my 2001.5. Never happened on my 99. It is just one of those quirks that give the car personality.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I think it's normal. The warning appears within a window of 29 to 39 degrees I believe, so entering that range in either direction (temp drops to 39 or temp rises to 29) will cause the chime.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: Delayed frost warning chime. Electronics going funny? (2001pass-var)

happens to me too, but sometimes when i first start the car, i just get a snowflake and no chime until later that drive.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Re: Delayed frost warning chime. Electronics going funny? (bigjim)

May be the car is as cold as you are....think how your brain would function if you were sitting out in the cold all night....
Just Kidding

·
Registered
113 Posts

mine doesn't appear to chime when it is really cold, but it does flash the snowflake. It sounds like possibly you chimed because it went out and then back in the cold zone. just a thought...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: Delayed frost warning chime. Electronics going funny? (wrighla)

Mine doesn't do it only at 39F. My guess is that the # changed, so it'd throw in a warning... it's happened often on both my 98, and 01... no worries.

·
Registered
593 Posts

We have a snowflake and temp chime warning? Damn another feature that will be a while till I get to use.
. So take this reasoning as a complete guess. When it's between 29-39, you might not notice that it's cold out and that the roads might freeze. When it's below 29 you'd probabaly realize that it's damn cold and therefore no need to remind you.
Can one of you MA people remind me, how cold is 19 again?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: Delayed frost warning chime. Electronics going funny? (BBear)

Connecticut is just as cold as Mass. so I'll help remind you. Put something metal in your freezer over night. First thing in the morning take it our and put your tongue on it........ . That should remind you

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Delayed frost warning chime. Electronics going funny? (jntsfan)

Roads are slipperiest between those two temperatures - water and ice exist together on the road surface (whether due to friction, temperature, pressure, or what have you); bridges may have begun to freeze, that sort of thing. Below the minimum, everything freezes, and traction is somewhat improved.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I believe it only happens when it at 39F. If the temp is below or above 39F when you start your car, you do not receive that alert.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

BBear,
HAHHA, "below 29 is damn cold..." you haven't seen cold. 29 is nice you gotta go alot lower B4 you get to use explatives

[Modified by pass-variant, 9:18 PM 2-16-2002]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.