VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Re: Delete oil cooler? (DrakepwrdRocco)

i went and bought some generic coolant hose (1/2" i think) went to home depost, and picked up two heavy duty plastic end caps, and 4 hose clamps, and your off to the races.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

Take the "J" shaped hose with the little outlet on the side (the one that goes from the head to the oil cooler to the water pump) to kragen/napa/pepboys/etc and tell them you want one just like it except without the outlet. That's what I did. That's the only hose you really need to delete it, you can plug the other hose with something.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

Get a standard VW hose for an 8V that goes from the water pump to the head. Go to a good parts store and get a block off plug for Ford water pump. This is like a rubber cap you seal off the remaining nipple with. it is secured with a hose clamp.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Re: Delete oil cooler? (art.clemens)

You will also need the shorter stem that the oil filter screws onto. It's held on by a large thin nut (22mm i believe). You can grab one off of an A1 or A2 that doens't have the oil cooler. If you end up going to the yard, looking for this piece, keep an eye out for the metal tube that goes to the waterpump. This is what you would need the rubber cap for (mentioned in previous post). The A2's that didn't have oil coolers have a metal tube minus the extra fitting for the oil cooler. Take a look at your engine, down by the waterpump, you'll see a coolant tube exit a metal tube, traveling to the oil cooler. If you can't find this pipe, you can always cap it off. I used a rubber cap from Autozone...

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,266 Posts
Re: Delete oil cooler? (rocco2nr)

quote:[HR][/HR]Take the "J" shaped hose with the little outlet on the side (the one that goes from the head to the oil cooler to the water pump) to kragen/napa/pepboys/etc and tell them you want one just like it except without the outlet.[HR][/HR]​
I read this post and did that at Advance Auto Parts, and Autozone. OMFG they were retarded! "what kind of car is this for?" "what kind of car is this for?" . I say "it's for a custom application, you computer won't help".
Response:
"uuuuhhhhhhhhhh..." "what kind of car is this for?"

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,266 Posts
Re: Delete oil cooler? (rocco2nr)

quote:[HR][/HR]Take the "J" shaped hose with the little outlet on the side (the one that goes from the head to the oil cooler to the water pump) to kragen/napa/pepboys/etc and tell them you want one just like it except without the outlet.[HR][/HR]​
I read this post and did that at Advance Auto Parts, and Autozone. OMFG they were retarded! "what kind of car is this for?" "what kind of car is this for?" . I say "it's for a custom application, you computer won't help".
Response:

HA HA Haaaaa!

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Re: Delete oil cooler? (fopeano)

Sooo clueless. LOL.
If you want the real VW part numbers, Potterman can set you up. He can also sell you a real oil cooler and thermostatic sandwich plate.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Re: Delete oil cooler? (VWhombre)

quote:[HR][/HR]"uuuuhhhhhhhhhh..." "what kind of car is this for?"
If you want the real VW part numbers, Potterman can set you up. He can also sell you a real oil cooler and thermostatic sandwich plate.[HR][/HR]​
In fact, that's the best alternative - dump the miserable factory oil/water exchanger that always seems to leak and replace it with a true oil cooler. TT (and I'm sure Potterman) sells a kit that includes a sandwich plate, plate-cooler and braided steel lines with fittings. The only variable is the mounting location. Given that VWs have practically no room between the grille and the radiator/condensor, you may have to trim pieces to make it fit.
As for the clueless parts counter drones - try hitting them with something that's factual but not specific such as "brake pads for an '85-'92 GTi". Uh oh, that sounds like the infamous Bill Clinton "confession" - my statements, while accurate were not forthcoming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.