VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been driving the last week with my wastegate closed under any type of driving. Its set with a 4 pound spring. I use to have the vacuum line going from the turbo outlet to wastegate and 1 time it opened and stayed open at 4psi. After that for some reason it stayed closed. I changed the vacuum source to intake manifold vacuum and now it stayy open at vacuum(idle, ect)
. What the hell is going on, Im really trying to get this problem fixed. Thanks for any help.
The top nut is fully out

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (MDTurborocco)

Those things are crap. Ditch it and get a TiAL.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
You're hooking it up wrong.
The boost signal does not go on the VACUUM port.
Run the hose from your intake manifold after the throttle body, make sure it doesnt have any check valves or anything in there as well. Then hook it to the port that is on the bottom half of the gate.
If you are hooking the boost signal to the port that says vacuum it is pushing the valve closed in boost, sucking it open in vacuum.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (TDIVentoDave)

Quote, originally posted by TDIVentoDave »
Those things are crap. Ditch it and get a TiAL.

Motion Seconded.TIAL 38mm wastegate will do the trick.When i went shopping for WAstegates i researched each and every single one:
HKS > too costly for its function
Delgate > known to break
Audi 5000S : need flanges made and its just not sexy
TIAL > omg....enough said.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (Wizard-of-OD)

Alright I hooked up manifold vacuum to the boost port on the side of the gate. Now it stays slightly open at idle but not wide open. It does hold boost at a steadt 5psi but I can tell its still not functioning properly. The top vacuum port is left open. What should I do with that port? May it need an adjustment? I took it apart and the diaphram looked normal and nothing looked broken. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (MDTurborocco)

Deltagates are crap. I ran one for about a year on an old car, and 8 months into using it I could make either 12psi or 25psi. Nothing in between. The engineering which went into the deltagate was, well, lacking.
TiAL is a direct bolton replacement.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (johnAWD)

It probably seized the shaft on the valve. Running open all the time might have done some damage. Take it apart and send it back to turbonetics for a 50 dollar flat rebuild, they sent me a new one. But I do like the Tial idea! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Scrubby at 8:12 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (Scrubby)

wait... so you dont have a boost signal line running from the compressor to the WG? im having trouble figuring out your setup, but as far as im concerned you dont even use the VAC nipple on the WG unless you're using an EBC of some type...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

I had the same problem with mine. The valve was loose even off the car. The stem comes up through the bottom of the actuator housing and goes through a bushing that slides down into the aluminum piece that bolts to the cast iron housing. The bolt in the middle of the diagaphram was hitting the bushing and not allowing the valveto close. There is a small raised ridge around where the bushing goes in. I took a 3-M roloc grinder pad an took the raised "boss" down flush with the bottom. Now the spring pushes the daigaphram all the way closed. Kind of a bad design, but mine works fine now.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (SavageRocco)

The valve is def. closed when off the car. But when vacuum is applied to the boost port it stayes open a bit. Ill get it figured out later, as of now there is nothing on the turbo housing, a hose going from the wastegate boost port to into a T off the brake booster vacuum line.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MDTurborocco »
The valve is def. closed when off the car. But when vacuum is applied to the boost port it stayes open a bit. Ill get it figured out later, as of now there is nothing on the turbo housing, a hose going from the wastegate boost port to into a T off the brake booster vacuum line.

The newer Deltagates have no problem with the guide coming out of place, we worked with Turbonetics on solving this problem several years ago and all of the newer units are built with a flange that retains the sleeve.
As for your setup, you DO NOT need vacuum going to the wastgate if you are not running a boost controller. All you need to do is supply a boost source to the side of the wastgate and leave the top open. Take out any fitting you might have in the top.
A -4 Line from the Turbos Compressor housing to the side of the Deltagate is perfectly fine and should give you fast and reliable boost control.
I agree that the Tial and some others are great units, but the Deltagates (at least the newer ones) can do a great job of controlling boost and can perform well for years.
-Rich

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Deltagate wastegate problems, need help ASAP before I ditch it. (eiprich)

Thank you very much Rich. I pulled off the top fitting on the top of the wastegate VACUUM and its functioning perfectly fine. Sometimes I get too into these forums and not go over the basics. The wastegate wasnt getting enough vacuum to fully close the valve. Simple as that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts