VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked Crappy Tire, all I could find was Shell Rotella. Thats what the previous owner used in the car, changed it every 6000km's. Anyone see Delvac1 at Walmart? I heard that its available here....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (MXTHOR3)

I don't know about Wallymart, but I thought I saw some at the new Giant Crappy Tire in Kitchener, I think. I wasn't really paying much attention, as it's not the oil I buy, but it does stand out from the "regular" oils.
Sorry I can't be much help, if I'm in there again soon, I'll get you a product number. On another note, to show the new wide variety of oddball fluids they're stocking, they had Redline Water Wetter on the shelf for $14.99.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MXTHOR3 »
I checked Crappy Tire, all I could find was Shell Rotella. Thats what the previous owner used in the car, changed it every 6000km's. Anyone see Delvac1 at Walmart? I heard that its available here....

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Gonna run you about 34 Bucks for the 4L jug.
Buy your filter at VW and make sure it has the baffel inside.
Seeing as Delvac 1 is a good quality synthetic you can confidently change every 10 000 - 12 000 km if you are looking to be safe. 6000 is WAY TOO SOON
. I change mine ever 11 000 - 14 000 km

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (.:: dropFROG ::.)

Thanks man, I was going to IM you but didn't want to hound you, haha.

I plan on doing the first oil change this weekend, any tips? Is it pretty much just like changing the oil in my 8V? Is 4L enough?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

• Drive car and get her warm.
• Park it.
• Emergency brake and chalk rear wheels
• Lift car on one side..
• Support on stand
• Get a 25 or 20 torx bit and remove 8 torx screws on lower engine cover.
• Take cover off and realise flimsy plastic will never protect your oil pan.
• Get 10 mm deep socket and remove 3 bolts holding upper engine cover on and remove engine cover.
• Unscrew oil filler cap and leave loosely on to prevent dirt from getting in for now.
• Unscrew oil filter plastic top, if its difficult or slippery use sandpaper for improved grip. Let it rest inside oil filter housing to drain the paper oil filter core.
• get something to collect oil into and put it under the oil pan
• Grab 17mm socket or wrench and remove oil drain plug (don't worry even in the summer its never been hot enough to burn me) and watch the black oil drain.
• Remove oil filter cap with filter and dispose of paper core. Also take off the two O-rings, one at the top and one at the bottom.
• Grab your new paper core and insert. Look at the paper filter to know which way is up
Replace with the new O-rings you get with the filter.
• Notice your oil is still dribbling out so go inside make some tea, grab a sammich, eat...

• Tighten oil filter cap if you haven't
• Put back the drain plug and tighten (Goot-n-tight but not too tight, remember to replace the copper washer ring, who am I kidding. I am still on my original one.)
• Fill with oil
(4.1 L i do believe.. check owners manual)
• Clean around oil filler cap with paper towel and put back the upper engine cover. Drop the 10mm socket you used to tighten the bolts for the upper cover into the engine bay accidentally and think to yourself that you are a frekkin genius for not putting on the bottom cover yet.. retrieve the socket and finish.
• Check drain plug tightness and put the bottom cover on with hopefully all 8 torx screws
• Lower car and unchalk wheels.
• Go for a drive and relax knowing that next time you do this it will be warm..

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (.:: dropFROG ::.)

I miss my 8V's of fury

copy/print Thanks man!!!!

Ok so some Delvac1, a filter from the dealer and I should be all set
w00t this weekend is going to be fun.

Modified by MXTHOR3 at 2:58 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

First: Check out http://www.tdiclub.com More TDI related stuff there.
Second: Yes, Walmart has Delvac 1, but not always. If you find it, buy two jugs just in case. Some Walmarts (like the one at 400&7) have the Delvac 1 in the lubs isle, not the motor oil isle (find them amongst the tranny oils, etc)
Third: If you feel that D1 is too much $$, you can always try Petro Can Duron. Many people have had good results with that. Rotella, Duron, and D1 seem to be the cream of the crop for the TDIs.
And for those with the newer 2004 PD, so far you have to stick with what VW has if you want to stay within warranty. (just in case one of you happens to read this thread)

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (.je)

Picked up 4L's of Delvac1 for $34.53 or something like that.. I still need to find a diesel additive to raise the cetune rating. The guy previous to me used Amsoil, but I can't find it anywhere...

·
Registered
269 Posts

Another good Oil for a TDI is Motul's 8100 X-cess 5W40 http://www.motul.com/uk/produits/index.html.
Motul is a Euro Spec oil that also conforms to VW's 502 00 / 505 00 stds.
So far I can't find any problems with this oil and it comes out cheaper for me than Delvac 1... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MXTHOR3 »
I still need to find a diesel additive to raise the cetune rating. The guy previous to me used Amsoil, but I can't find it anywhere...

what about liqui moly hi test?used it in my td and worked well

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (Diadora)

Is Delvac okay to use in Gas engines too??

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (.je)

Quote, originally posted by .je »
It is, the certification for Spark Ignition engines (SI-something) is there on the bottle.
I dont know why you would though, there are equally excellent synthetic oils available for much less money.

Bingo!
Delvac would work without problems, however, Mobil 1 would work even Better!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (Diadora)

does anyoen have a link to a write-up on changing the oil in a 1996 TD engine?
Is it virtually the same? also, what oils would YOUR recommend in this engine?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

awseome thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Basically it says oils in all diesels are pretty much the same

I think I will try Delvac1 aswell.
Qusetion is, how often do you change delvac1?
Ive heard as high as 16000km per change, and as low as 6000 per change.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Delvac1 at Walmart? (Steve Pell)

You have a 2001...the recommended VW interval is 8000 for the first oilchange, and then 16000 after that. With D1 you could probably get away with every 20000, but 16000 is just fine. With oil, better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts