VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this dent several months ago, and after staring at it every time I approach my car, I decided it’s about time to do something about it. The dent is about 2-3 inches long and pretty deep, and the paint was chipped off. Can anyone here give me an estimate on how much something like this would cost me?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Thank you

·
Registered
347 Posts
guessing 1k maybe more maybe less the paint is in good shape so they won't have to blend it to the other panels. most shops like to toss the fender and paint a new one to match the car. if they do this they will most likely take the plastic bumper off and throw the radar gizzmo behind the front vw badge out of alignment. that almost always has to be re aligned at vw place, which is extra. if you can get an old school hammer & fill body shop to do it without completely removing the plastic front bumper you might save some headache. old school fix will not look perfect like the remove all the damaged parts and put new ones back on job. I think the radar alignment cost about $500 to have done, I'd check that out with your local vw dealer before you let some one take your front end apart.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It won't look perfect because the dent is on a crease but have you considered PDR? We had someone open their door into our Jetta when it had less than 1000 miles! $150 to a PDR guy and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only way to know is to get a few estimates. May I suggest you use only great body shops? The odds are very high they will not replace that panel. That means the shop must pull the dent as much as possible and use body filler to shape it and recreate a clean seam. With black paint, even the smallest blemish will be very visible. If you want this to look new, you’ll want a skilled tech who uses only top quality body filler, takes his/her time (higher labor cost), and uses the best quality primer, paint and clear coat.

May I also suggest that if this costs only a few hundred more than your insurance deductible, it may be better to pay for this out of pocket and avoid an insurance claim and subsequent bad Carfax report? Car dealerships often take advantage of a bad Carfax report and offer 30% less than fair trade-in value, even if the repair is not visible. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Where would you suggest looking for an aftermarket fender that’s already painted?
Depends where you live. Most yards sell online/ebay.

Here is a pure gray one for 175 bucks. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a black one at this time.

You really can't to PDR on this one as the paint is chipped really bad and dent is on a body line. Your least expensive option is to be patient and try to find a black fender online in a salvage yard.

·
Registered
335 Posts
... sorry but black paint is the absolute worst color to match. To do it right, they spray beyond the fender to blend the color ... onto the hood and bumper .... etc. ... otherwise it will never visually look like original. That is why the cost is higher than simply replacing the fender.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn MT— APR-1
191 Posts
I had a similar repair on the driver side rear fender (also black). The first time it was another persons fault. Three weeks after the repair…it was my fault.

About $1,200-$1,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2020 Jetta GLI Autobahn Black Package
520 Posts
I have a dent in Almost the identical spot, I got a quote of $675, the guy said it would take about a day, luckily with mine it Diddnt chip or crack the paint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts