VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm surprised it took me so long to notice, but my undercarriage rail - whatever you call the thing that you fit the jack onto - is DENTED from repeated jacking! Does this happen to all our cars? Should I be worried?

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Dented your undercarriage with the jack? (dymer)

Yeah but I dented my rail MORE with my friend's 3-ton hydraulic jack! Are our rails weak? Do ALL rails do this? I don't really remember from my last car...

· Registered
13,422 Posts
Re: Dented your undercarriage with the jack? (happywaffle)

Quote, originally posted by happywaffle »
Yeah but I dented my rail MORE with my friend's 3-ton hydraulic jack! Are our rails weak? Do ALL rails do this? I don't really remember from my last car...

you shouldnt be usibg a floor jack on the rails anyway..

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Dented your undercarriage with the jack? (redsoxreturns)

Quote, originally posted by redsoxreturns »

you shouldnt be usibg a floor jack on the rails anyway..

Ah, there's the pertinent info. Thanks. Guess I need to get a (better) regular jack, or use my scary OEM one just to get the jack stands under there.

· Registered
13,422 Posts

Ah, there's the pertinent info. Thanks. Guess I need to get a (better) regular jack, or use my scary OEM one just to get the jack stands under there.

well...you can do that, or just jack it up where the pad is..if you look at th very front of the rail, right near the control arm, you will see a little rubber pad...thats a jack point.

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yeah I jack there whenever possible. Most recently I had the issue when I was gonna place the jack stand there, so I used the floor jack farther down the rail.
So, two mistakes on my part: using the floor jack in the first place, and using it too far down the rail.
Anyone have a picture of where I SHOULD be placing the floor jack? This'll be especially important when I go for the timing belt in a couple months. Not finding much on the search.

· Registered
13,422 Posts

Anyone have a picture of where I SHOULD be placing the floor jack? This'll be especially important when I go for the timing belt in a couple months. Not finding much on the search.

right on the round rubber grommet. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,271 Posts

What is that rubber gromet for?? I lost one out of the rear a while ago and I was wondering if I should replace it

· Registered
7,521 Posts

Like Sox said.....Using a floor jack on the pinch rail wouldn't exactly be the best idea.

· Registered
26,859 Posts

ACTUALLY, dont do that. that is a lift point, not a jack point. that will NOT support hte weight of the car if you use one jack--that is for using a lift with 4 jack points.
personally, i use my jack on my pinch rail or on the square rail visible in the middle of the picture (lined up with the dents in the siderails).

· Registered
13,422 Posts
Re: Dented your undercarriage with the jack? (bigmak)

Quote, originally posted by bigmak »

personally, i use my jack on my pinch rail or on the square rail visible in the middle of the picture (lined up with the dents in the siderails).

i stick a nice pice of 2x4 inbetween, and dont have no prollems...

· Registered
1,498 Posts

I put those jack pads that are on the TT on my Jetta. Install in all 4 round holes. (rubber grommet) http://www.parts4vws.com/catal...8N0JP
Product Detail
MKIV/B5/B5.5 Jack Pad Set

Kit includes 4-8N0803855 pads and 4-8N0804583 pads.
Part Number: 8N0JP
Category: Body
Price: $32.00
Shipping Category: brown

©Copyright 1997-2005, Virtual World Parts, Inc. Terms & Conditions Use of the names and manufacturer logos Audi®, Volkswagen®, VW® and others referred to herein are trademarks or registered trade names of their respective companies or mark holders and used for descriptive purposes only. Virtual World Parts, Inc. is not associated with or endorsed by Audi AG, Volkswagen AG, Audi of America, or Volkswagen of America. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Modified by John Edward at 3:14 PM 9-13-2005

Modified by John Edward at 3:15 PM 9-13-2005

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.