VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the shift knob in my GTI. My son bought me the VW aluminum look one from the dealer. I cannot get over how much B.S. it is to change. Now I know you hard core VW guys are going to flame this thread, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid design. Why didn't they just thread the lever and screw the knob on like anyone with brains would do?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DESIGN OF SHIFT LEVER IS A JOKE (Shznits1.8T)

It's not just a matter of cutting the brass ring, what about having to screw around with the boot. Wht do you people have such a hard time admitting that VW has so many design flaws? Did your mother design the car?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: DESIGN OF SHIFT LEVER IS A JOKE (Jettaway)

I happen to be a mechanic, so don't start shooting off your mouth. I guess the fact is you don't know ant better about a poor design. you guys keep talking about taking things apart, I wonder if you know how to put anything together.

·
Banned
5,977 Posts
Re: DESIGN OF SHIFT LEVER IS A JOKE (rtonna8)

quote:[HR][/HR] I happen to be a mechanic, so don't start shooting off your mouth. I guess the fact is you don't know ant better about a poor design. you guys keep talking about taking things apart, I wonder if you know how to put anything together.[HR][/HR]​

A mechanic that can't easily change a shift knob. Great.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Why didn't they just thread the lever and screw the knob on like anyone with brains would do?[HR][/HR]​
Alot of cars that have threaded knobs over time start to rotate out of alignment and then the shift knob is no longer straight. My brothers ford probe has this problem.. his shift knob is always loose...a lot of older honda's have this problem too. Its just a better design. VW didnt design so it would be easier for you to change.

[Modified by Jettaway, 2:03 PM 2-1-2003]

·
Registered
8,323 Posts

i have to agree tha tdesign is poor. i would prefer having a threaded area so that the shift knob is easier to change. unfortunately, i'm not a vw engineer so i have no say.

·
Registered
8,893 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Your just mechanically disabled! It took me 2 mins to remove the shift knob. Maybe couple seconds to lift the boot up over it...ahhhaha[HR][/HR]​
Palease, give him a break, I let my techs do it for me cause I felt lazy, it took 3 tech 25 min. Its a lame design, probably the cup holder designers did it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Re: DESIGN OF SHIFT LEVER IS A JOKE (Ferris Buehler)

quote:[HR][/HR] it took 3 tech 25 min. Its a lame design, probably the cup holder designers did it.
[HR][/HR]​
LOL... 25 min to change a shift knob??! omg, who are you letting work on your car?!

·
Banned
4,542 Posts

"I happen to be a mechanic, so don't start shooting off your mouth."
Most "Mechanics" I've met are idiots! apparantly you are too!

For example; I took my GTi to get the Oil Changed and the "Mechanic" asked what that thing
is connecting my shock towers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.