VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/270/Detroit.htm
I found this while perusing the interw3b. Apparently its a game from 1993 that simulated a car manufacturer/factory. I haven't actually played it yet but I thought some of you may be interested.
Here's an excerpt on it:
Quote »

However, building cars is not nearly enough. You must be competitive and build various models like hotrods, vans, pickups, off-roaders, etc. On top of this, you will also need to test your cars' safety to see if they comply with the required standards, and their performance to check whether or not your hotrods have enough muscle under the hood. Micromanagement is what this game is all about, so better take a step back if you're not the patient type. As for the graphics, they are nicely drawn and laid out, with an intuitive interface, so no objections on that front.

And some screenshots:

That site has a whole bunch of other free games as well from our childhood (well some of us anyway).
On a side note, its pretty sad that we don't see many games today like this one (and others in that site) that require brains and logic to manage things such as a city (simcity), stock market, etc...

Modified by mAdD INDIAN at 6:21 AM 11-28-2006

· Registered
1,697 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (mAdD INDIAN)

I bought and played this game when it was new, in 1993. A classic, and lots of fun to boot! Being 13 at the time made it a little more than my young attention span could handle, but I had a lot of fun with it at the time.
It should be a hoot even today.

· Registered
7,839 Posts
Re: (Nourdmrolnmt)

Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt »
cant download it though

yeah I looked and couldn't find it...there was a site that offered a download for $4, not sure I trust it but it was paypal so I figured I would...just forgot I lost my wallet today at school (and of course nobody turned it in) so I cannot deposit money in paypal since I cancelled my card.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
I too had this game back then and while it was fun, it get to be a little monotonous as well. It was fun 'designing' cars where you could mix and match various front ends, middles sections, and rear ends reflecting the time period

· Registered
Bluestar, XL40
16,241 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (mAdD INDIAN)

Quote, originally posted by mAdD INDIAN »
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/270/Detroit.htm
I found this while perusing the interw3b. Apparently its a game from 1993 that simulated a car manufacturer/factory. I haven't actually played it yet but I thought some of you may be interested.
Here's an excerpt on it:

And some screenshots:

That site has a whole bunch of other free games as well from our childhood (well some of us anyway).
On a side note, its pretty sad that we don't see many games today like this one (and others in that site) that require brains and logic to manage things such as a city (simcity), stock market, etc...

Modified by mAdD INDIAN at 6:21 AM 11-28-2006

They don't make cool games like that anymore

· Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,846 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (Sledge)

Played it, beat it, it gets realllly boring around 1950 or so and you already have all the technological advancements, you still keep going month by month because they want you to be able to adjust your sale prices and stuff based on how much stock (inventory) you have. (or at least that's how I played it)
I remember the month that it came up with the news report the stock market had crashed was my first million dollar profit :p or some milestone profit I can't remember what now.
I also remember getting an early buggy version of this game, and getting the patch for it, in the mail on a 3.5 floppy
Oh memories- it was a fun game though, thanks for the reminder, haha. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by MGQ at 10:35 AM 11-28-2006

· Registered
199 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
And what the hell ever happened to Leisure Suit Larry?!?!

haha, classic, i think i played that all the way to ver. 7 lol

· Registered
4,787 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
And what the hell ever happened to Leisure Suit Larry?!?!

I think he caught some STD...................

· Registered
4,802 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (speedhole)

Quote, originally posted by speedhole »
I still have this on CDROM Fun game, but never did get very far. I always hoped someone would do a "refreshed" version.

Any chance you could upload it to putfile or something, and add the link here?

· Administrator Emeritus
19,628 Posts
Re: 'Detriot' - The Game. So you want to be the next Henry Ford? (2Turbos2Many)

Quote, originally posted by 2Turbos2Many »
Silver SLC Saabfan and I used to play this game a bunch.
I'm looking for it now.

That's funny, Ben... I was just remembering that.
There was also another game that I remember playing on the Apple IIe that was pretty cool - you could completely design the profile of the car, wind tunnel test it, etc. It was pretty neat for the time, but the name slips by me now. Anyone remember that one?
-Tim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.