VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm accelerating up in the entrance ramp to the parkway, i hear a not too loud pop from the exhaust, then the car starts decelerating. I cannot longer accelerate, and car is running really rough. I pull over to the side. A big cloud of smoke comes from underneath the car. I try to start the car, the car doesn't start most of the time (it cranks fine) when it starts it runs very rough, if i give it gas, it doesn't respond very well, and as i struggle to get the rpm's up, smoke and flames come out of the exhaust. When the tow car moved the car, the grass underneath it was burnt. It sounds like the cat. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Re: Diagnose this! - flames coming out of the exhaust! (gomer)

cat shouldn't prevent the car from starting...can't honestly help...cuz if grass was burnt u've gotta have an exhaust leak somewhere in order for that flame/smoke to burn the grass... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for good luck...hope someone else knows more

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
pretty common with g-60's (the flames part, dunno about the other business)... crazy sh*t

Modified by deth_core at 2:14 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to my green G60 and it turned out to be my ecu. Start the car let it run crappy and pull the vacuum hose off the ecu. If the ecu is the problem, it should run fine for about 10-15 seconds with the hose off then start running crappy again.

·
Registered
1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2017 VW eGolf
7,457 Posts
Re: (gomer)

i was going to say mine does the same thing on occasion. getting on the freeway when i'm on it hard and shift occasionally it will pop and at night sometimes a poof of flame. not all the time though. anyway, that burnt stuff under the car and everything is crazy. hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (SSj4G60)

yeah, it's a VR6. does it still have a vacumm line going to the ecu? as i said, i was pushing in hard on the accelerator when i was merging in the parkway. c'mon guys, help me....it's been a depressing day, this might be the straw that broke the camel's back and i might have to start thinking about getting rid of my lovely money pit

·
Registered
12,909 Posts

Sounds like it could be Ign related. Ign probs will sometimes rear their heads under heavy loads. Possibly Hall, Rotor, Dist cap, etc. I have been working on vws for a quite a long time and a recent prob with my G60 was a head scratcher. Same symptoms as you mention, but sometimes car would not restart and when it did, it was undrivable at times. I had just bought the car and the Dist cap and rotor looked fairly new and clean so I did not change (yet). They looked like BOSH quality but were off brand and i knew it. Turned out it was the rotor's thick film resistor breaking down under heat and load. Cheap off brand crap... Bentley states to specifically use rotor marked R1 in G60 and I see why. Granted, you have a vr and my roots are strictly 8V's, but I am not sure if the vR's ign system is as tempermental as the G60. ....just wonder if anyone elses ran into this and how many people changed distrubutors/Hall sensors to find out it was a $4 part. I was headed there.
At any rate, this might help you look.
S

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: (sdezego)

I know this isnt realated but this is just me being my immature self saying I shoot flames intentionally...by means of no cat !!!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts

when was the last time you checked/replaced your cat? if it took a crap it could have broken apart and blocked the exuast system. if the exuast is ristricted seriously then you will see the symptons you mentioned(ie. dark black smoke, pops when driving, fire, loss of power when you press on the gas hard) the cats job is to collect unburnt fuel and burn it off when the cat reaches a certain temp. the fire and smoke your talking about could be because there was a lot of gas. first thing i would do is get it to a exaust shop and have them check out the cat. after that i would have the vag com run and check out the o2 sensor. if the o2 sensor is bad it could be sending MASSIVE amounts of fuel into you engine.
my .02c

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Diagnose this! - flames coming out of the exhaust! (GotEuroCorrado)

Quote, originally posted by GotEuroCorrado »
when was the last time you checked/replaced your cat? if it took a crap it could have broken apart and blocked the exuast system. if the exuast is ristricted seriously then you will see the symptons you mentioned(ie. dark black smoke, pops when driving, fire, loss of power when you press on the gas hard) the cats job is to collect unburnt fuel and burn it off when the cat reaches a certain temp. the fire and smoke your talking about could be because there was a lot of gas. first thing i would do is get it to a exaust shop and have them check out the cat. after that i would have the vag com run and check out the o2 sensor. if the o2 sensor is bad it could be sending MASSIVE amounts of fuel into you engine.
my .02c

i think you might be right. mechanic is gonna look at it today. funniest thing is that it happened a mile after i left the mechanic to fix something else
good thing is that towing was only $20
thanks for the good info http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

ok, so the mechanic didn't have much time to look at it today, but he did look at it for a few minutes...he left me a message saying that it seems that the ignition rotor might be the culprit.....does that sound resonable?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (sdezego)

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
Sounds like it could be Ign related. Ign probs will sometimes rear their heads under heavy loads. Possibly Hall, Rotor, Dist cap, etc. I have been working on vws for a quite a long time and a recent prob with my G60 was a head scratcher. Same symptoms as you mention, but sometimes car would not restart and when it did, it was undrivable at times. I had just bought the car and the Dist cap and rotor looked fairly new and clean so I did not change (yet). They looked like BOSH quality but were off brand and i knew it. Turned out it was the rotor's thick film resistor breaking down under heat and load. Cheap off brand crap... Bentley states to specifically use rotor marked R1 in G60 and I see why. Granted, you have a vr and my roots are strictly 8V's, but I am not sure if the vR's ign system is as tempermental as the G60. ....just wonder if anyone elses ran into this and how many people changed distrubutors/Hall sensors to find out it was a $4 part. I was headed there.
At any rate, this might help you look.
S

wow, i'll check with the mechanic tomorrow. he wants to put a rotor from his parts guy, i'm gonna tell him to hold off unless i know it's bosch.
i just changed the rotor for an oem when i did the tune up 6 months ago.....

·
Registered
16,261 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gomer »

wow, i'll check with the mechanic tomorrow. he wants to put a rotor from his parts guy, i'm gonna tell him to hold off unless i know it's bosch.
i just changed the rotor for an oem when i did the tune up 6 months ago.....

yea that sounds a bit shisty

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Re: (a_grl_n_her_rado)

same thing happened to my G60 http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif but i was able to keep mine running... it was the O2 sensor! i was shooting like a foot of flames my friends were telling me! and i was in the middle of town doing this hahahaha
in short, pull the plug off of the O2 sensor http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and then see fi it runs better... the harness is located on the back motor mount on the passenger side... there is enough room to reach a fairly big arm down there to unplug it, then wrap the harness up in some vacuum lines to see if the car runs better... if so then it'll be your O2 and problem will be solved... but i really think it's the O2...

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Re: (vdubCorrado)

maybe irritable bowel syndrome? (better known as IBS) Proxicoul can help.
some side effects of Proxicoul are flamming behinds, bowel leakage, rotting holes in your stomach and terminal brain tumors.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (a_grl_n_her_rado)

Quote, originally posted by a_grl_n_her_rado »
maybe irritable bowel syndrome? (better known as IBS) Proxicoul can help.
some side effects of Proxicoul are flamming behinds, bowel leakage, rotting holes in your stomach and terminal brain tumors.

another two worthless posts....i still need to see a productive post from you...till then, please don't waste my time. why don't you go and fix all the broken links in your website......

getting back to the issue and for future people doing a seach on this problem;
I opened the igniton cap, and there it was, the rotor broken into three pieces. The dust cover was melted, and it seems as if a piece of it got hit by the rotor and it broke.
Replaced the rotor today, and everything is running fine. I will need to get the dust shield from the dealer. No damage underneath the car, thank God.
Thank you all for your help. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts