VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I did what is called the "Observed Licence Test". This is the hands-on component of the CAMS C3 licence, the basic licence you need to go circuit racing in Australia.
In order to pass scrutineering in the Golf, I had to get some bonnet pins fitted. I later found that there are pins that don't penetrate the exterior metal work.

I also had to remove a fog light to put the towing hook in.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

It was compulsory to fit a fire extinguisher, but while doing so I went way overboard and also fitted some Sparco seats. Happily, they correct something I've never been happy with in the Golf - poor rear impact whiplash protection.

The VR6 used to belong to my Mum. Her response was brief, but to the point: "WTF have you done to my car???"

After a briefing, we went out for the first of 3, 20 minute warm ups. Here's an mpeg of the VR6 coming along the straight:
http://www.imagestation.com/vi...41193
After the warms ups and lunch, there were two races. One a standing start and one handicapped.
The field was made up of:
- A Ford Falcon XR8 (very strong engine if a little wobbly through the twisty bits);
- A Porsche 944 (set up to do Targa Tasmania);
- A Subaru WRX sti;
- a Formula Ford;
- a Subaru WRX (the driver claimed that the car produced 205kilowatts but didn't sound as though he had dynoed it at all. Had the APR stage 1 or something);
- a Porsche 1973 RSR (Probably a replica, but it had individual throttle bodies. Beautiful.);
- 2 racing HQ Holdens (still with the stick shift!);
- a hollowed out Volvo with racing slicks; and then bringing up the rear
- the humble golf.

I got a good start, jumping the four cars immediately in front of me before the end of the straight, including the Rex

http://www.imagestation.com/vi...26984
Within about 5 laps, however, the Rex was nearly with me. While under pressure, I made a mistake - overtaking another car at the end of the straight and going too deep into the corner. Braking oversteer I think they call it. Anyhow, I turned the car around and the Rex went sailing past. By then my brakes and tyres were just about shot.
After a further short briefing from the driving tutors, one of whom was the Lamborhini ace Paul Stokell, we were back out for the final event of the day, the handicapped race.
This is where they took your previous lap times and then started the cars off according to how slow or fast you were. It was a bit like the three BMWs that race at the Grand Prix - the 318ti starts about 45 seconds before the formula 1 car. I started off fifth slowest which presumably was my proper rating, but because of some quirk of fate (or more likely an overly generous head start) I managed to finished first.

Overall, the VR6 performed really well. It was predictable at the limit, sure footed and reliable. It was one of the best handling cars on the track.
I didn't see the oil temperature go over 114 degrees. With the standard water-cooled oil cooler, I used to exceed that on the road.
Even though I have always wanted to put a flow through exhaust system on the VR6 (that is, removing the central suitcase), the fact that three cars were prevented from driving today because they made too much noise has made me think twice about doing it.
The only thing I felt it could have used was a bit more mumbo in a straight line. If I had had that, I might have been able to fend off the XR8, the WRX and the Porsche 944. Bring on the Big Valve Head.

Oh and of course, track tyres and brakes, but to do that I will need to have both a VR6 and an R32. Mmm…
I can understand why motorsport is only for the rich and famous. On the way home I had to drive with my handbrake as I had burned the right front brake to the metal. I had to leave my car at my mechanics for some new pads. Sadly, I don't think I could afford to do this too often.
Thanks to my technical consultant, and buddy Bernie and thanks to my folks for giving up their mother's day to come to the track for a laugh. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by mdt at 11:47 AM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
well done!!!
racing is very exciting.... and humbling at the same time... but also very expensive and damaging on the car
to me... i wouldn't like to use my road car on the track... and vice versa
often the most effected parts are the tyres and brakes..... it would be good if you learnt how to change brake pads yourself if you are doing regular track work.... should be pretty easy to do.... and get some proper track tyres
maybe seb can give us a tutorial??
when i did the brakes on the excel.... it was only one bolt at the back of caliper, flick up the caliper, extract the brake pads... compress the thingy that presses on the pads... then refit with new pads
it took about 30minutes for both sides...
but all in all, glad to see you had fun and that you are happy with your car... it is a great feeling indeed

·
Registered
20,620 Posts
Re: Did my CAMS licence yesterday, here's some pics and an mpeg or two (mdt)

Sounds like you had a great day! Well done!
Track work is hard on your car. Thats why you need a Porsche, so you can track it on the weekends then be able to drive it to work during the week and not have problems
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Brake pad changes at the track are pretty easy, you just gotta know what to do.
The seats are awesome as well, and that pic of you and your mother is priceless - you look like you're getting a right telling off the way you're sheepishly looking at the ground

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: Did my CAMS licence yesterday, here's some pics and an mpeg or two (slimmy)

hehehe
what an awesome thread!
nothing like a great picture book story.
*p.s the black sparcos suit the car a lot better than red!
As far as automotive wear in relation to trackdays goes, ive personally never really had much of a problem there.
Being front wheel drive and relatively light, helps in terms of tyre wear..and at wakefield there is only about 3 points where you have to brake.
I know some people who spend over 1000 dollars on each track day[slicks, fluids, pads, safety gear etc], and others who just rock up with a full petrol tank.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote, originally posted by slimmy »
nice work.
are you planning on getting more involved in motorsport?

No. They kept on saying "In your future racing career..." But I realise my own limitations. There's just something nice about redlining the car in third.

I will do track days from time to time. I joined the VW club recently (had to do it in order to get the C3 licence) and they apparently have track days, so I might do it three or four times a year.
This morning, my mechanic asked me if I wanted to drive at Winton with the BMW club this weekend, but I had to say no. I just don't have the money to keep on wearing the car parts out so quickly.

Modified by mdt at 9:58 AM 5-12-2003

Modified by mdt at 11:52 AM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Did my CAMS licence yesterday, here's some pics and an mpeg or two (Mark at farm)

Quote, originally posted by Mark at farm »
Being front wheel drive and relatively light, helps in terms of tyre wear..and at wakefield there is only about 3 points where you have to brake.
I know some people who spend over 1000 dollars on each track day[slicks, fluids, pads, safety gear etc], and others who just rock up with a full petrol tank.

You've got it in one Mark. One of those Caterham derivatives would be ideal because they are so light. The VR6 will never be an ideal track car because it is so heavy. Perhaps if I really stripped it out, but then it would be useless for the road.
Like I said, I need a VR6 and an R32. I'm not sure too many other people agree with me.

One of the reasons I wanted to drive it at the track though was to see how it handles at the limit. For example, the fact that it brake oversteers is very interesting and a bit of warning for me, as that is a scenario that could easily occur on the road.

Modified by mdt at 5:02 AM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Re: Did my CAMS licence yesterday, here's some pics and an mpeg or two (Mark at farm)

i guess the difference between them and us (us being the people that rock up with a full tank) is that we just go to have a hack around... we're not racing, just racking up laps and trying to get into a rythm. people who spend muchos dollars are into it in a more competitive way... well i'd hope so anyway.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

Great story! thanks for sharing, and love the pics too..
and your VR6 sounds awesome coming down that straight.. must have surprised a few with that stock looking sheep skin!

Mike

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

i guess the difference between them and us (us being the people that rock up with a full tank) is that we just go to have a hack around... we're not racing, just racking up laps and trying to get into a rythm. people who spend muchos dollars are into it in a more competitive way... well i'd hope so anyway.

hehe well the bloke i am talking about, doesnt race competitively.. nor regularly.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

Quote »
One of the reasons I wanted to drive it at the track though was to see how it handles at the limit. For example, the fact that it brake oversteers is very interesting and a bit of warning for me, as that is a scenario that could easily occur on the road.

So true.. I was really surprised at how easy the tail end came around in my mkIII GL..

Mike

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Did my CAMS licence yesterday, here's some pics and an mpeg or two (C.J.)

Quote, originally posted by C.J. »
... and your VR6 sounds awesome coming down that straight...

Cheers Mike, I'm glad you had a listen. I reckon it's one of the key reasons to own a VR6. It gives me a grin each time I drive it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i guess the difference between them and us (us being the people that rock up with a full tank) is that we just go to have a hack around... we're not racing, just racking up laps and trying to get into a rythm....

I agree, but on the weekend, one of the instructors told me that he thought I was not "on it" the whole time, suggesting that if I wanted to get my racing licence I would have to drive harder.
It was soon after that that I turned the car around.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

A sobering postscript. Not only did I have to replace my pads but both of my front discs.

Next time, I'm going to fit race pads.
I might also start looking around for a cheap set of slicks with super hard racing tyres. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.