VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I did not clean the filter this time - considering how clean the rear diff fluid was I don't think my haldex has kicked on very often. But I will do it next time. How does one do that VCDS pump check? I do have an OBDII.
The filter is for the Haldex, not the rear diff. The final drive and Haldex have separate circuits. The Haldex is what gets gunked up. It makes sense that the rear diff was clean. If it's like the last 30 years of BMW rear diffs (where it takes all of the load) the original oil and rear diff will outlast the car. For your VW, the friction material in the Haldex unit is what plugs up the filter.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I did use those lab wash bottles - I saw you recommend that in another thread and thought it was brilliant. They worked great - thank you.
We use them in racing because we are changing diff and trans oil at least once per event. With the fact that every manufacturer seems to put plugs in the hardest point to reach the work like a champ. Plus, if you poke a hole in the lid and stick on a tube, it's a great brake bleeder bottle. If you are really thrifty, some JB Weld and an old fridge magnet will allow it to stick to the rotor when bleeding brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts