VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - first thing to note - the front diff fill plug. I was able to get to it using a wobble extension. I got it out without much issue, and thought the worst was behind me. The fluid in the front diff was dark and smelly( 35K miles). I installed a new drain plug, and filled it with new fluid. So far so good. But THEN - I tried to put the fill plug back in. I have never cursed so much in my whole life. I just could not get the threads started! I tried the wobble bar that I used to undo it, but I could not turn it smoothly enough to start the threads. I tried a universal joint - same thing. At this point I was getting nervous. Then I recalled someone mentioning a ball ended allen wrench. I tried that but mine is L shaped, and I could not turn it more than maybe 30 degrees before the shorter end whacked against something else. So what to do? I took a dremmel to my L shaped allen and cut the short side off, so it was perfectly straight, and about 4 " long. Within 5 seconds of doing that I had the fill plug in. Then I used the wobble extension again to tighten it. So, be sure you have a straight ball ended 5 mm allen!

Rear diff was easy - the fluid looked brand new.

Haldex was easy - but I think I underfilled it. It snowed the next day and I was not feeling the AWD kick in right away. So I put it back up after a long drive and found I was able to add another couple of oz, maybe 100 ml tops. I did not clean the screen - I'll do that next time.

All in all I am very glad I did it myself and did not have the dealer do it, or some other shop. now I know what I am doing for the next time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you clean the pump filter of the haldex unit? if so you'll want to run the car for a but for the pump to prime and then refill before buttoning up, i was able to get 3-5 more pumps into the haldex unit after i ran the car for a couple minutes, which i'd guess is around the same amount you were able to add.

Another option is to do an output test of the haldex pump via VCDS.
I did not clean the filter this time - considering how clean the rear diff fluid was I don't think my haldex has kicked on very often. But I will do it next time. How does one do that VCDS pump check? I do have an OBDII.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a bit confused by this post, when you say "front diff" are you referring to the transaxle? I went through the service booklet for my 2018 Alltrack and they make no mention of changing the transaxle gear oil. The only service they recommend for the front gear box is the fluid for the locking front diff on the GTI models so equipped. As far as I'm aware the 4Motion wagons DO NOT have the locking front diff, please correct me if I'm wrong. My assumption is the transaxle on the 4Motion car should be treated like any "normal" transaxle, the manufacturer says it's "lifetime" fluid, but a meticulous owner should change it around the 100,000KM mark.

On the rear VW does say to change the Haldex clutch oil, which I plan to do in the next year.
The front diff is what VW calls the front "bevel box" or "bevel gear". It is not the transaxle. It is a small gear box that is similar to a lot of other AWD vehicles. If you look at this post, it will be more clear to you:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...evel-box-haldex-and-rear-differential-housing

And yes, a think the phrase "lifetime fluid" is absurd. I change my fluids at normal intervals. By the look of the front diff fluid, it was ready to be changed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No shame man. It can be a pain. And it's not just getting the fill plug back in. Knuckle adapters and/or wobble extensions are also required. Harbor freight has them. I'm sure the dealerships have a special tool that makes it very easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts