VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
did you clean the pump filter of the haldex unit? if so you'll want to run the car for a but for the pump to prime and then refill before buttoning up, i was able to get 3-5 more pumps into the haldex unit after i ran the car for a couple minutes, which i'd guess is around the same amount you were able to add.

Another option is to do an output test of the haldex pump via VCDS.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I did not clean the filter this time - considering how clean the rear diff fluid was I don't think my haldex has kicked on very often. But I will do it next time. How does one do that VCDS pump check? I do have an OBDII.
Haldex pump is on all of the time just controlled via PWM to range from 10% to 100%, it just depends on how much slipping and ware on the clutch material.

For me, I noticed the clutch material settles out of the haldex fluid and cleaning the pump was well worth the extra 15 minutes, as some of that material clung to the pump housing that needed a wipe with a rag.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
By the look of the front diff fluid, it was ready to be changed.
ahh yes the tried and true "it looked bad so it must have been time to change it". I've used the same method on changing my TDI oil, frigging thing only goes 200 miles before oil change now :mad: but it's cheap insurance and I sleep better.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
But we can both agree sight and smell are a bit different than a UOA?

I understand that people are conservative with maintenance but with synth gear oil used today on a light duty application, i'm not going to be losing any sleep for quite some time.

Reactions: VQVW
1 - 4 of 4 Posts