VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
723 Posts
So, I have just done my Haldex and I'm now looking to do front bevel box. I don't plan to change rear diff fluid ever, based on comments in this thread.

Questions:
1. This thread doesn't have a full write-up or pictures for the bevel box, and the only link to a how-to was to a Golf V forum thread. I would love a Mk7 specific how-to/video/photos.
2. In reading the VW service manual, I'm wondering if maybe the access to the front bevel box is easier for those of us with manual transmissions? I haven't actually looked closely at the area on the so maybe that's wishful thinking. Would be nice to avoid buying ball head hex sockets if I don't have to.
3. Any other tips specific to changing bevel box fluid?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Did mine recently. DSG and Haldex for the second time now approaching 80K/4 years old. DIY on those is easy. Added the r. diff which is also v. easy, fluid looked clean. Replaced with Redline 75W90. Front bevel box was a bitch and I finally gave up...I couldn't get it. Had my shop do it while it was in for a few other things. I've read some have removed that heat shield by going in from the p. side wheel well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No shame man. It can be a pain. And it's not just getting the fill plug back in. Knuckle adapters and/or wobble extensions are also required. Harbor freight has them. I'm sure the dealerships have a special tool that makes it very easy.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
No shame man. It can be a pain. And it's not just getting the fill plug back in. Knuckle adapters and/or wobble extensions are also required. Harbor freight has them. I'm sure the dealerships have a special tool that makes it very easy.
They more likely remove the heat shield.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

21 - 26 of 26 Posts