VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CIS using digifant head

I've got a 85 golf and want to put a engine that has a digifant head, did a search and there's not accurate information. What exactly needs to be done to put the cis injectors in the digifant head, cheers

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
I've got a 85 golf and want to put a engine that has a digifant head, did a search and there's not accurate information. What exactly needs to be done to put the cis injectors in the digifant head, cheers
You need a 10mm Hex Bit. Screw the EFI injector cups out and screw in the CIS one. That's it.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
The cis cups also make use of a plastic piece for the air shroud. This will not fit in the digi head. As well, I can't recall if the air shroud hats on the injectors themselves will clear. If not, you can just pop them off. Or if the brass cis injectors for Benzes are still cheap and you're looking to get a new set, that's an option. There'll be a slight lean to the injectors, but it shouldn't cause any issues (I'm running MB brass injectors in a digi head myself). Otherwise, you could get creative and figure something out. I remember reading into this exact issue many years ago. You'll need to cap off whatever vacuum port/hose leads to the current head.

Or, if the reason for upgrading to the digifant head is for the larger valves, you could look for an earlier 8v gti/gli (maintains the air shrouding). Of course, that's way harder to come by, and if you were intending on using the stock cam, the 85s are not ideal.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
... You'll need to cap off whatever vacuum port/hose leads to the current head.

Or, if the reason for upgrading to the digifant head is for the larger valves, you could look for an earlier 8v gti/gli (maintains the air shrouding). Of course, that's way harder to come by, and if you were intending on using the stock cam, the 85s are not ideal.
^ Don't forget that Cabriolet's came with the big valve CIS heads through '89. So there are still plenty out there if you remember to check Cabriolet part-outs. :thumbup:

Being a Mk1 chassis through ~93 means Cabriolets are an often-forgotten great source of parts. They came with some excellent seat / door panel colors and nearly all of them are sport seat based. That, and you have your pick of CIS motors and parts as mentioned, or Digifant if you need parts for an EFI conversion. :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts