VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SAAB 9-5 and 2016 Lincoln MKC
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mountain biking yesterday in Nashville and an older guy was there with a Passat CC. He claimed that his was specially imported by an executive working for VW, and that the CC is equipped with a "motor from a Porsche 911."

I have never heard of this, and I couldn't find any info when I searched.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I was mountain biking yesterday in Nashville and an older guy was there with a Passat CC. He claimed that his was specially imported by an executive working for VW, and that the CC is equipped with a "motor from a Porsche 911."

Virtually impossible that this could be true for many reasons. The CC is essentially a Passat and shoehorning a flat-6 in would be an unbelievably expensive and complicated task, especially in a way which allows it to be imported and registered (even if for government use).

It was likely the 3.6L VR6, which has been used in a Porsche before (the Cayenne), but is not a Porsche engine.

·
Registered
8,871 Posts

A Flat six engine turned sideways so that car remains FWD? Or that the car is now a RWD CC with some specialty transmission?

Either way, he's full of it.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,164 Posts
He's either blatantly lying OR someone told him that when they sold the car to him and he believes it. :facepalm: Wonder how much this "special" CC sold for...
x2

Sales pitch: "specially imported by an executive working for VW, and that the CC is equipped with a "motor from a Porsche 911."

Actual: Corporate fleet vehicle equipped with the V6.

:laugh::facepalm:

·
Registered
2011 SAAB 9-5 and 2016 Lincoln MKC
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP, please read your question to us out loud to yourself.
Then stop for a minute and think about what you just heard.
I hope you just answered your own question.
It sounded absurd to me too, given that a 911 uses a rear-mounted engine, but he was a nice guy and I didn't want to get in an argument with him.

Nevertheless, I thought the collective wisdom of TCL would point to what the guy might really have. Perhaps, as somebody posted earlier, it is a motor that Porsche has used on other applications and the guy mistakenly thought it was from a 911.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
The flat 6 is going to be wide, but no wider than the VR6 is long. and turning an engine to fit longitudinal is simply a matter of new motor mounts.

Does that mena I believe this to be true? Not quite, but I am certainly not ruling this as impossible until someone shows me that the motor does not physically fit. Of course I'm not inclined to believe it until I see it either.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
The 3.6L VR6 that's used in the CC was also used in the Cayenne up until this year.. that's the only relationship I know of between the two..
That would be my guess too.

However I know they built a couple of Passat mules with both single and twin-turbo versions of the newer 3.0l VR6. However those cars would be crushed at end of life and never sold to the public. Too much liability.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Speaking of the 3.6L V6...

Notice how they don't tout it as a VR any more? used to be that the R was always highly touted. Now it's quietly tucked away.

Maybe it's because the engine's basic design is 30 years old... Sure it's grown from 2.8 to 3.6, and gone from 12 valves to 24, but really it's the same old lump. which is why it gets relatively crap MPG and barely average power output.

Kind of like VW still offering the same tired ABA 2.slow with new electronics and new call letters.

$36k for a car with the same tired designs from 30 years ago. Good job, VW.

Yes, the New 1.8T is an exception.

·
Registered
47,925 Posts
Nevertheless, I thought the collective wisdom of TCL would point to what the guy might really have. Perhaps, as somebody posted earlier, it is a motor that Porsche has used on other applications and the guy mistakenly thought it was from a 911.

:thumbup:
That's most likely it. Since the VW Type IV engine was used in the Porsche 914, most people with a later model (Type IV powered) VW Bus would tell everyone that "it has a Porsche engine in it."

Also, They'd naturally say "Porsh". :laugh:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.