VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
6,151 Posts
Re: Did you change your own oil at 5000 or do u recommend the dealer do it? (GTi2818)

i just hit 5010 and i just got home from the dealer from picking up my filters. Im doing my own tomorrow. And i already rotated the tires. What is all involved on the 5k check up?
Ian K

· Registered
471 Posts
Re: Did you change your own oil at 5000 or do u recommend the dealer do it? (GTi2818)

I use to change my own oil when I had my 2001 Golf. Then I fractured my right shoulder. So I now take it to the dealer. Come to think of it, you're not really saving that much money. My dealer charges $21.95. But if you enjoy working under your car, then DIY.

· Registered
3,042 Posts
Re: (none) (coquinn)

did it myself at 5,000. The oil filter took about an hour and a half to take off. Ended up hammering a screw driver through it to take it off. Car runs so smooths after that first oil change.

· Registered
10,798 Posts
Re: (none) (JJ2K1)

Quote, originally posted by JJ2K1 »
did it myself at 5,000. The oil filter took about an hour and a half to take off. Ended up hammering a screw driver through it to take it off. Car runs so smooths after that first oil change.

Only and hour and a half? You got off easy! It took me two DAYS and three different tools to get that damn thing off
But yeah, once it was off and the oil changed, my gf said the car ran a lot smoother and faster http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I normally have no issue doing the oil myself (just bought some ramps, makes it easier). But I dunno, that first factory-installed oil filter is ridiculously tight

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: (Envy 337)

I'm about to hit 15k.....4th oil change (since owning the car, second owner)
Yeah that factory filter was a pain to take off.....
Highly recommend a strap wrench, only way to go

Modified by NWDub'n337 at 7:44 PM 1-12-2004

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Re: Did you change your own oil at 5000 or do u recommend the dealer do it? (03rabbitgti)

Quote, originally posted by 03rabbitgti »
i changed it at 1000 and at 3500 im going to the dealer to do one at 6000

You wipe off your dipstick with $100 bills?
What a complete waste of money..

· Registered
3,939 Posts

I do just about all the maintenance on my baby, I don't trust anyone but myself to work on her. I changed the oil at 1000 and then every 5k subsequently.
Now is an exception, as I don't have a body shop in my garage (yet!), so she's been there almost three weeks.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.