VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up smackers, I have noticed a problem and solution on more than a couple of occasions with my vehicle. Most recently, there has been a lot of construction around here, leaving a lot of partially milled roads, 2" high edges across the road (imagine driving across a 2" crub at 50 mph), iron plates, etc. I hit one of these roadcrubs about a week ago and noticed that the car pulled left now.
I remembered from past roadcrub encounters that when I put the front end up on jackstands to inspect for damage I found nothing and then when I took the car out it felt fine.
I had the car up yesterday to do something else and looked around at the suspension and it was fine, dropped the car and took it out. It was back to normal.
I think what happens sometimes (if nothing is actually bent or borken) is that the strut bearing/bushing gets shoved up into the tower and alters the camber until you raise the car and let them drop out and "reset". So next time you hit something and the alignment feels different, before you panic, raise the front wheels up and do inspections and then it might be ok without having to fix anything!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. ('dubber)

Wait, So you're telling me that a "pounded down" bushing "pops" back into place when a 500 lb suspension hangs from it, when normally there is a 2500+ pound force pushing it back the pounded way?

This doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (Pylon_Boy)

i just want to know what a roadcrub is.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (...Franco)

whatever it is, it sounds delicious

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (freeze plug)

pizza.
sandwichs.
head.
i have to agree.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. ('dubber)

I once hit a sloping curb with my drivers side that was next to an exit of the Autobahn. I was going about 110 km/h.
Nothing was broken. Nothing was bent. Curb 0 - Golf 1.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (Pylon_Boy)

Quote, originally posted by Pylon_Boy »
Wait, So you're telling me that a "pounded down" bushing "pops" back into place when a 500 lb suspension hangs from it, when normally there is a 2500+ pound force pushing it back the pounded way?

This doesn't make sense to me.

I'm talking about how the strut bushing sits in the tower that is part of the unibody. Every time you raise the wheels off of the ground the bushing drops out of the strut tower and the whole assembly is hanging from the strut hat thing. I noticed the space between the hat and the tower was different from one side to the other before raising the front end, and were evenly matched after I dropped it, drove it, and checked again. I think that really big hits manage to wedge that rubber bushing up in there more than normal somehow.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts

You're a goddamn revolutionary.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (METAL)

Quote, originally posted by METAL »

Hah! I knew it!

The roadcrubs are left over from the asphalt milling machines I guess. The road crews left these things at just about every highway off-ramp for about a week before adding a little ramp of asphalt to soften it up.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts

Your sarcasm detector blew a head gasket. What the **** is a roadcrub?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (METAL)

Your sarcasm detector blew a head gasket. What the **** is a roadcrub?

The smiley is there, hehheh.
The roadcrub. The big ledge across the entire road when they are tearing up the road with an asphalt grinder and just leave the edge there for everyone to hit.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts

Back in my day we used to just call that a bump.

·
Registered
419 Posts

i think i understand what he means, when they sheer off the top layer of asphalt off of a road they are repaving the point at which the old road meets the freshly sheered road there is a small 1-1.5 inch "roadcrub"
___old road_____
......................\_______road under construction____

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Re: Did you ever hit something and think you bent or broke something? Do this first. (wagon.)

Sweet. I make up words too. Dynamitron is also a good one.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

1 - 20 of 47 Posts