VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else collects?

I have wanted to collect forever but just started. My intention for years has been to build a 1/18 scale parking garage. I started ordering cars and then I found this photo which is almost exactly what I had imagined.

Already got the Davis & Giovanni F40 Competizione and CMC Ferrari 250 GTO (most detailed 1/18 car I have ever seen). On order is Autoart Hakosuka GTR tuned version in white, Otto E34 M5 touring in daytona violet, Autoart Wangan 911 turbo, custom Autoart Mercedes 190e Evo2 lowered with AMG mono blocks.

I plan to start the parking garage this month.

Future cars will be TSM McLaren F1, Autoart Miura, Autoart LFA nurburgring among others

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I don't collect, although I made all sorts of MRC-Tamiya plastic models of cars, tanks, etc. when I was a kid. Slightly different level of detail, cost, and compulsion. :D

What I love about these models is that we can see them in ways we can't see the real car. For example, your build thread on the F40 showed all sorts of neat chassis details. Also, the 250 model shows the underside in a way I would never see it.

Super cool. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have 8 or 9? Maybe 10? of the UT 993 models along with a bunch of other 1/18 Porsches from 964 through 997. I've also got a GT Spirit B8 Ibis Avant that pretty closely matches my car. All of these are conveniently boxed up in a closet. :laugh:

The UT models are nice 10 foot models but they've all got the melting wheel issues that seem fairly common.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a small collection of 1/43. The 1/18s are awesome but you start to run out of room pretty quickly unless you have a dedicated wall/room. Are you building the garage from scratch?

·
Registered
23,269 Posts
I had quite a few at one point, but not so many these days. My favorite is a 1/24 Porsche painted with a custom Standox flip color done as a promotion from their company. Otherwise, a couple of classic muscle cars, and some 1/43 rally cars, the standout to me being a McRae/Grist Focus.

And some Hot Wheels, of course, but those generally tend to be differentiated from other die-cast.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You will run out of space with 1/18s pretty quick. I have a handful of 1/18s (CMC, AUTOArt, Minichamps, Exoto, UT) but a majority is in 1/43. Slowly moving away from diecast to handbuilts, then to superbuilts. Good luck - it's a slippery slope.

Want to buy my 1/18 E46 M3 GTR (on eBay)? :p

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had about 120 1:18 cars at one point, but slowly sold them off over the years and only have a couple left. The good news is that the higher end stuff will hold their value pretty well and I actually ended up making a profit overall after selling off the collection.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only plan to have about 20 real nice ones.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I have many diecast cars - hundreds of Matchbox and Hot Wheels toys from when I was little all the way to several dozen 1:18 scale models. Most of my early "big scale" cars, the 1:24/25/26 and 1:18 ones, are mid-90s to early-00s Maisto models. Then I started getting them from Fairfield collectibles, which were more expensive and more detailed. I've only bought a couple in the past few years since I don't have the budget for them anymore, especially since I would like to get some more uncommon and detailed models, and those start getting seriously expensive. Oh, and my wife doesn't like them either. :(

I would love to get this, but $140 is too much coin for me these days.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have about 36 of them (many more were lost in a flood). I rotate them around the apartment, take them out of storage, etc. That reminds me - it's time to shuffle the garage :D

Two good friends who seriously collect. One has maybe 350 on display; another has closer to 500. When we went to Germany, many were bought home since they are unavailable here.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I'm not a serious collector but I have a few nice auto art models and a pile of maisto and bburagos

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I have a small collection of 1/43. The 1/18s are awesome but you start to run out of room pretty quickly unless you have a dedicated wall/room. Are you building the garage from scratch?
This. I have a whole mess of 1:43 cars. You can fit 12 in the boxes in the same space as one 1:18 in the box.

Resin > Diecast

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have a lot of 1:18 scale cars, but then I realized they were taking up too much space so I limited myself to one case.

my collection

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I used to have a lot of 1:18 scale cars, but then I realized they were taking up too much space so I limited myself to one case.

my collection
that's a nice case, make/model?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice and love your taste! Great choices in there!

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
I have more than i'd care to admit (especially in 1/64, wouldn't be surprised if I had more than 2000-2500).

A lot of 1/18 as well though, off the top of my head (I will probably forget quite a few).

If anyone wants to see examples of what any of these look like just ask.

Spark RUF Yellowbird CTR
Spark Porsche 919 Le Mans Winner
Autoart Lamborghini Miura Orange
Autoart Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary White
Autoart Porsche 959 Silver
Kyosho F40 High Detail (VERY nice model) red
Kyosho Ferrari 250 GTO
Kyosho Skyline R32 Spec-V white
Hot Wheels Elite F355 Berlinetta red
Hot Wheels Elite F355 spyder yellow
Hot Wheels F355 GTS yellow
Autoart Porsche 804 F1 car with J. Bonnier driving figure
Minichamps 1994 Williams FW16 Ayrton Senna
Autoart Porsche GT3 race car blank white
Kyosho Fairlady Z S30 Street Sports white
Kyosho Skyline KPGC10 2000 GT-R Black
Kyosho BRE Datsun 240Z
Hot wheels elite 458 GT2 race car red (no livery)
Hot wheels elite 458 spyder red w tan interior

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts