VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Re: Diesel Fox (ddriver)

I'd love to have a 205 GTI or 205 diesel, unfortunately can't get one here and importation is not an option for me. I prefer the smaller cars too really.
Was in France in 2003 for eight weeks and rented a Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI with a six speed gearbox. Really a nice car for touring around but too big and soft for my taste. I do like the Megane, especially the back end but again you can't get one here and if you could I doubt that they would have imported the diesel version.
I can weld but have no welding setup, so I'll have to have someone make me a valve spring compressor....because they're too expensive for me to justify buying one...at least at the moment.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Re: Diesel Fox (QuantumSyncro)

QuantumSyncro just curiosity,You are in France,want big car, why didn't You go with Citroen? I think XM model. only bad part of owning that car is , it spend more than 9L on 100km, I'm not sure maybe even 15L. perfect car otherwise, air ride, its so smooth,inside it feels like You driving on ice.(smooth)
laguna,what I know about it,it heats up on Sun like inside of oven, and front seats just might be bit uncomfortable.did they told me right? witch model of Megane do You like the most?sedan (classic),4dr hatch ,or 2dr hatch(coach),or cabrio nobody likes Megane Scenic, he-he.with fuel price rising,I would be surprised if we don't have more diesel cars in here.
205, that's the car I would most likely own if I stayed in Bosnia. I know only for early to mid 90s, model. And You are probably right GTI,is one model who is super fast. a lot of HP for small body.handles great,and its tough little car, does not brake easily, it is wise choice,diesel is very common over there,because it spend oil like a lighter.but very slow.really slow .
spring compressor kit is 60-70$ on ebay,brand new. He might be right. I'll to a few mash. shops to see pricing, and he might be right.it could be cheaper just to get one.

Modified by ddriver at 9:55 AM 2-8-2008

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

I'll try to post some more pics soon. Engine is pretty much ready to go in. I modified the front engine mount to clear the upper timming belt cover. Modified a power steering bracket to mount the water pump belt tensioner. Made the Alternator bracket a little longer to give a little more belt adjustment. Still need to play around with fuel lines and build a bracket to mount my fuel filter. I'm glad I have access to a warehouse full of used VW parts, sure makes this kind of thing alot easier.
I'd encourage anyone who's thinking about getting a welder to go ahead and do it. Easily one of my best tool investments. I've fixed and made so many things I'd have a hard time listing them all. I got a Lincoln weld pac 100 about 7 or 8 years ago and havn't had a single problem with it. I've been using flux core wire all these years, but soon I'm finally going to get the conversion kit to turn it into a mig. That'll open up all sorts of possibiities, such as welding aluminum and thinner sheet metal.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ddriver »
QuantumSyncro just curiosity,You are in France,want big car, why didn't You go with Citroen? I think XM model. only bad part of owning that car is , it spend more than 9L on 100km, I'm not sure maybe even 15L. perfect car otherwise, air ride, its so smooth,inside it feels like You driving on ice.(smooth)
laguna,what I know about it,it heats up on Sun like inside of oven, and front seats just might be bit uncomfortable.did they told me right?

The Laguna was the only 4dr sedan (hatch actually) they had for rental. We rented it in Moulin and they didn't have many cars available. It did get warm inside but it was very hot in 2003....very hot! The only other car they had was a Volvo S40 wagon cdi (I think) but someone else ahead of us in line rented that.
witch model of Megane do You like the most?sedan (classic),4dr hatch ,or 2dr hatch(coach),or cabrio nobody likes Megane Scenic, he-he.with fuel price rising,I would be surprised if we don't have more diesel cars in here.

I prefer the Megane 4dr hatch, or 2dr hatch...Scenic isn't my thing..haha.
205, that's the car I would most likely own if I stayed in Bosnia. I know only for early to mid 90s, model. And You are probably right GTI,is one model who is super fast. a lot of HP for small body.handles great,and its tough little car, does not brake easily, it is wise choice,diesel is very common over there,because it spend oil like a lighter.but very slow.really slow .

I mostly drive a 53hp Golf D...so slow I'm used to. A 205 GTI would be nice, a Renault R5 Turbo would be nicer!
spring compressor kit is 60-70$ on ebay,brand new. He might be right. I'll to a few mash. shops to see pricing, and he might be right.it could be cheaper just to get one.

I've never seen one for under $150.....where are you finding one for 60-70? If I could find one for that I'd buy it.
Now, lets have some more pics of the Fox diesel project! I'm already mad at my 4000 diesel project....the fuel tank had a pinhole leak so I had to pull / replace it. Yet another thing wrong with it!

Modified by QuantumSyncro at 6:39 PM 2-9-2008

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Re: Diesel Fox (QuantumSyncro)

Here's a few more pics. Hopefully I'll be putting the engine in the car soon. Pretty much down to modifying the fuel system, electrical, and I'm sure alot of minor details.
Water pump Tensioner cobbled together with a VW power steering bracket, Volvo belt tensioner bracket, a little scrap of steel, and a Northern Tool idler pulley. Hopefully this setup will work good. I'm going to paint those pulleys, they look like crap.

Alternator bracket lengthened by about 1 1/2 inches to give more adjustability.

I made a bracket and welded it to oil dipstick tube, my diesel block didn't have one so I made the one off the old engine work.

Modified by FoxWagonInGeorgia at 2:31 AM 2-17-2008

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: Diesel Fox (FoxWagonInGeorgia)

Quote, originally posted by FoxWagonInGeorgia »
Water pump Tensioner cobbled together ...

Good job on the fabrication, but was it necessary? Unless I'm forgetting something, on my Dasher (also longitudinal) the water pump is driven by a belt that goes only between the crankshaft pulley and water pump pulley, with tension being adjusted by adjusting the number of shims between the water pump pulley's 2 halves. Two thoughts: Will your idler pulley clear the rad support? Will ground clearance (and belt life) be adversely affected?
Great job documenting, and a great diesel swap too!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Re: Diesel Fox (VW Fox)

I could have done something like that with the adjusting shims, but I find that setup a PITA. Never liked the way the A/C belt goes on a fox. The 4 bolts are hard to get to, figuring how many shims to use, ect. I much prefer the idea of adjusting the idler pulley with just 2 bolts, it'd be much easier to do on the side of the road if need be. Shouldn't be a problem with clearing the rad support. ground clearance won't be an issue, I'll actually be using a shorter belt and the whole contraption dosn't really hang that low. As far as belt life goes, time will tell. If it dosn't work out I'll try something different, maybe even a shim setup.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The cleanliness of your setup makes me wish I weren't keeping AC on my Fox, my life would be so much easier right now.
Busily designing a bracket to put AC and alternator on the same side of the engine, putting an ECO-esque 1.5TD into my own wagon.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Re: (turbinepowered)

Quote, originally posted by turbinepowered »
putting an ECO-esque 1.5TD into my own wagon.

That sounds very interesting. I've pondered the idea of taking the whole setup out of a Quantum TD and putting it into my wagon. I wonder how possible it is?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Re: (DubbinChris)

Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »
I've pondered the idea of taking the whole setup out of a Quantum TD and putting it into my wagon. I wonder how possible it is?

Well given that all the mounting points are the same, and the donor car is also a longitudinal mounting I would guess that there would be almost nothing to it except a little time, but then again unless the Quantum is really beat I probably wouldn't do the swap. The Quantum is pretty roomy inside.
my .02

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Re: (QuantumSyncro)

Yes the Quantum is pretty roomy and the motor is a factory rebuilt block with about 40k on it. The car itself needs some work. I'm going to try and tackle it and see what I start uncovering. I've had the car for less than a week. If the project becomes more than I'm willing to do then the engine comes out and either goes into the Fox wagon or replaces the one in my 86 NA Diesel Golf.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Re: (BrockGTi)

Quote, originally posted by BrockGTi »
What are you using for a starter?

Quantum TD starter.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.