VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty bored right now so I thought I'd make a small thread about what is probably the best OEM upgrade, longevity wise, one can do to his diesel engine.
If you're planning on or have to replace the headgasket on your hydrolic diesel engine (mid-86 to 92), the metal headgastek from the 1.9TD is the way to go. It will last longer than the standard 1.6 fiber gasket and will also tolerate a lot more boost. Note that I'm talking about the HG from a 1.9TD IDI engine, not a 1.9TDI engine.
Pros
-Better longevity
-Better seal
-Possibility of higher boost
-Possibility of improved waterjackets (explained below)
-Works for hydrolic NA, TD and ECO engines
Cons
-Slightly more expensive
-Possibility of a very slight decrease in compression due to the fact that 1.9TD engines have a larger bore.
-Not suitable for solid lifter engines
Diesel engines use three different headgasket thickness calculated from the factory to provide the required compression ratio. The reason for this is to compensate for the slightly different manufacturing tolerances between engines. Slapping on a thinner HG is not a good idea as it could result in your pistons headbutting your valves.
Stock 1.6 HG thickness
1 hole: 1.53mm
2 holes: 1.57mm
3 holes: 1.61mm
1.9TD HG thickness
1 hole: 1.53mm Part #028 103 383 BH
2 holes: 1.57mm Part #028 103 383 BJ
3 holes: 1.61mm Part #028 103 383 BK
Both HG have the same thickness, if your 1.6 had a 3 holes HG, go with the 3 holes 1.9TD HG. Simple isn't it? Installation and torque procedures are the same as before.
Waterjacket improvement

What's this you ask? Take a look at this pic

Notice how the 1.9TD HG (top) has more holes between each cylinder. These can be drilled on the head and block to prevent hotspots and help bleed air from the system. The coolant passages are already cast into the head and block but they're not drilled. The bottom HG is from a solid lifter engine and lacks the big oil return hole between cylinder 1 & 2.
For more complete infos on this mod, I suggest you read this thread:
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/...light=

Modified by Black Smokin' Diesel at 8:29 PM 2-27-2007

· Registered
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump, added some info.

· Registered
33 Posts
Re: Diesel & Turbo Diesel headgasket upgrade (Black Smokin' Diesel)

So what is the deal? Can this mod be done and not create a leak. I'm about to build myself a mech 1.6l that I will push in the cooled forced induction style. I need some success stories. At lease some more attempts. I like the cut out the area and fill it so the seam is not in the middle of the hole idea.
What to fill with is the part I'm working on. Has anyone tried a piece of sheet copper rolled to gasket thickness as the filler or a chunk of fiber head gasket? what has been tried. This seems like too good a mod to let it float in mystery unresolved. Am I missing something? Is there another thread on this? Thanks all.-Temo

· Registered
2,959 Posts
cant you just use a G60 metal headgasket on the diesel head/block, or are they drilled differently?
edit: doh ignore me o/c the gasket isn't the right thickness

Modified by rubjonny at 1:38 PM 12-11-2007

· Registered
186 Posts
Re: Diesel & Turbo Diesel headgasket upgrade (Black Smokin' Diesel)

Black smoking diesel...
I have an old 1.9 turbo diesel(IDI) HG with me... the part number on that is 028 103 383 AK 10 94... It differs from the one you have mentioned. What do you say about this? i badly need a part number for 1.9 three notch HG to order and i cant go wrong with it!
Can i install this 1.9 HG onto 1.6 engine without drilling these holes?
Thanxx

Modified by grippin wide!! at 8:12 AM 12-12-2007

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.