VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking abou tthe B&M Shifter and everyone says it rocks. I was told to give it a go in combo with the Audi TT SS kit. I was wondering if the DieselGeek kit would even be better as the comments for that kit seem better than the regular Audi SS. Look forward to some input.
Thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (sumomike)

I don't have a SS kit in my car...but will get one soon..probably NS or DiselGeek
but I don't like the audi TT one........I've driven a TT and think the throw are just slightly shorter than our vw's.
It is a cheap, but good mod though, only if you aren't looking for some really shortened throws.
hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (sumomike)

i have the dieselgeek. i like it. definitely shorter throws. you can physically compare the parts and see that the kit parts will give you shorter throws. also, it was an easy install with parts that are modded actual stock parts.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (VW Pilot)

I replaced my tt with a DG and I love the 30% side to side. However that's not to say I wasn't satisfied with the tt, I just got the DG in a trade, I happen to like both, btw have a tt for sale if someone looking for one, currently holding a bid of $30 to an unknown person (friend told me they know someone who will buy it) lemme know though.
~A

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (VW Pilot)

quote:[HR][/HR]i have the dieselgeek. i like it. definitely shorter throws. you can physically compare the parts and see that the kit parts will give you shorter throws. also, it was an easy install with parts that are modded actual stock parts.[HR][/HR]​
It onlt took me about 20 minutes to install myself......and I was checking each step twice before working. If I had to do it again it would only take about 10 minutes. Easy to install, and it feels "factory" only with shorter throws. Get the Dieselgeek http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (feuerdog)

This is all good and well, but has anyone COMBINED the two(dieselgeek and b and m?)
I have a dieselgeek, but am thinking of getting a b and m as well.
any ideas?
andy

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (dubber87)

I have been running both the B&M and DG short shifters for a while now. Really short throws and pretty notchy. I like it that way though. I will caution you that sift effort has increased, but it isn't bad, I've fealt much worst. There isn't much play in the shifter anymore though, either.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (houstonspeedfreek)

I am looking to get a SS kit soon, and from the great reviews and my experience with jim, I am going to buy the dieselgeek.
what exactly is the point of combining DG and the Audi TT, or DG and the B&M?
The DieselGeek has front&back and side-side reduction, but what does the B&M SS have that DG doesn't have?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (PHILA#3)

The B&M reduces throw front to back at the shift lever and also takes the slop out of the shifter by replacing the plastic bushings with billet aluminum.
The DG shifter reduces side to side and front to back throws at the shift linkage.
So, the shifter is even shorter and more precise.

·
Registered
732 Posts

I wasn't aware anyone made a SS kit that replaced the ahift lever.
My next question is, what parts need to be bought from which places? I assume that these parts can be purchased individually, and we can piece them together ourselves. I know the Dieselgeek SS is around $100 for my car, but what is the price of the B&M pieces needed for this setup?
How hard is the install for the B&M pieces? I have been told the DieselGeek SS takes about a half hour, the first time you install it.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

The DG shifter can only be bought from one place, Jim. The B&M is available from different places and prices can vary on it. The cheapest I've seen is $160ish while the most expensive I've seen is $250. I got mine on a group buy a while ago for only $130, that was through http://www.titanmotorsports.com . They have the cheapest price I've seen on it btw. Install can be tricky, I didn't follow B&Ms instructions either, they do it the hard way. You don't have to remove the exhaust and all that to install it. It's much simpler to just remove the center console. It takes around 45 minutes to install.

·
Registered
732 Posts

I thought that this was something that could be pieced together, but it looks like you are talking about buying two different SS kits and using them together. I am not looking to spend $300+ on a short shifter, so i will probably just get the dieselgeek SS kit, and hopefully that will be enough to fix the long throws of the stock shifter.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

Actually you can't combine the DG and TT, but the B&M can be combined with either the DG or the TT...anyhow I plan on getting the DG and calling it a day.

·
Registered
349 Posts

i thought about combining the dg and b&m but i didn't want an aluminum knob, cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, but it would be cool.
i did the "ghetto" version of this mod by cutting the shifter down 2.25" adding a momo shift knob. and using the diesel geek kit.
it is much shorter than the diesel geek alone, and you don't feel the extra effort after a few days, but it is much more precise and looks cool too!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (c1gti)

ok here is a question for all you short shifter guys im thinking about getting the NS SS but i too want a shorter shift lever and not sure what i want to do about that but here is what i wanna know,
do these SS kits actually give shifting a smoother feel or does it still feel like the stock shifter but only shorter throws??
Im more concerned about feel then throw what do you guys recommend??
TIA http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: DieselGeek SS kit & B&M shifter -- what do you think? (Dad E FatSacks)

hmmmm? smoother feel?
i wouldn't use the word smoother, i would say notchier and more precise.
also, i can't stand the vague and long stock shifter feel anymore.
the more you shorten, it the more effort it will also take to shift.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.